British expat arrested for selling counterfeit watches in Pattaya

webfact

On 1/15/2020 at 6:38 AM, pixelaoffy said:

Hilarious ! Thais are selling these all over the place !  Ah Thailand fair and balanced 

I always have to laugh every time I see a Chicago bulls jersey with the number 23 representing Michael Jordan for sale in Thailand. None of these jerseys are licensed by the NBA therefore they are fake counterfeit items. The one-sided unbalanced way of thinking of these people absolutely makes me sick. I have absolutely no respect for narcissism and the me first attitude I see exhibited by some of the Thai people. These few scum people leave nothing but a black mark for all Thai people.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2020 at 12:33 PM, JustAnotherHun said:

A genuine Omega for 20k THB? Who sold this precious item to you? A Brit named Mark?

No this is genuine and surplus to requirements now that I have FINALLY managed to get my vintage solid gold Eterna watch fixed.......found a superb watch guy in Phuket who fixes high end watches such as Rolex, and he fixed my cherished Eterna.

As I said I have an Omega De Ville Symbol 32mm wristwatch for sale at 20,000 baht, guaranteed genuine or money back, as it is now sitting in my drawer doing nothing, apart from telling the time!!

Offers welcome.

Picture1.png

How can anyone defend this guy? He was selling fake watches. End of.

And yes I imagine many Thais and Indians and Eskimos would be arrested for the same thing.

It just makes us all look stupid if we defend the actions of people like this. 

11 hours ago, xylophone said:

found a superb watch guy in Phuket who fixes high end watches such as Rolex, and he fixed my cherished Eterna.

I bet that Sekonda movement he put in there is working a treat. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I bet that Sekonda movement he put in there is working a treat. 

Oh well, there's always one. 

And FYI the movement is the same, he just managed to fix the problem with a part from a Rado movement. He is just brilliant and I saw him work on a Rolex for a friend and he completely dismantled the whole thing and spread the working parts out before finding the problem and reassembling it.

A master craftsman and nice to know for the future.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2020 at 7:23 AM, bristolgeoff said:

I thought it was only thais doing that or Indians.but generally I would not bother buy a copy either.they look nice last 5 mins.only  first timers to pats would buy I imagine everyone else would not bother

Funny enough my Thai wife bought me a copy watch about 7 years ago, and it is still working today ?

and I know a lad who used to travel to China for grade A copies which he sold online,

apparently there are all kinds of copy watches, and the ones on the street are the worst copies.

34 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Oh well, there's always one. 

And FYI the movement is the same, he just managed to fix the problem with a part from a Rado movement. He is just brilliant and I saw him work on a Rolex for a friend and he completely dismantled the whole thing and spread the working parts out before finding the problem and reassembling it.

A master craftsman and nice to know for the future.

I have a "Rolex", I can't get the back off, think it needs a new battery....:stoner:

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, transam said:

To be honest, I want the back off just to see what's inside, I could be lucky....:stoner:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolex_Oysterquartz 

The Oysterquartz was the name of the Rolex quartz watch and although it wasn't a startling success, it is sought after these days as a collectors item.

The link above gives a background............as for being lucky??????

6 minutes ago, xylophone said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolex_Oysterquartz 

The Oysterquartz was the name of the Rolex quartz watch and although it wasn't a startling success, it is sought after these days as a collectors item.

The link above gives a background............as for being lucky??????

My one is a Daytona Cosmograph that keeps stopping, the second hand sweeps, not single second movement. So bit of a mystery...

4 minutes ago, transam said:

My one is a Daytona Cosmograph that keeps stopping, the second hand sweeps, not single second movement. So bit of a mystery...

Well it won't want a new battery cos it's a mechanical movement!!

If you are serious about it, I could take it to the watch guy here for you, to see what he can find? New price is about US$13,000 so could well be worthwhile?

3 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Well it won't want a new battery cos it's a mechanical movement!!

If you are serious about it, I could take it to the watch guy here for you, to see what he can find? New price is about US$13,000 so could well be worthwhile?

Noooooooooo, I am positive it's a copy, watched load of Youtube vids to spot stuff, but I would like to see what's inside and go from there. Even the strap is a copy according to my vids..

22 minutes ago, transam said:

Noooooooooo, I am positive it's a copy, watched load of Youtube vids to spot stuff, but I would like to see what's inside and go from there. Even the strap is a copy according to my vids..

OK, thought I would offer, just in case!!

Reminds me of my time in Nigeria in 1970/71, and being fairly naïve, when I was on the way to one of the oil rigs offshore, and had to stay in Lagos for a couple of days to get the paperwork organised.

Walking along the street with a mate who was also going to the rigs, I was approached by a Nigerian guy who was selling Seiko watches, and my mate warned me not to have a bar of it because they were fakes. My immediate response was that they couldn't be because even the cases had Seiko stamped on them, as did the watch faces, so they must have been the real deal!!! (youthful stupidity).

Well the guy wanted 5 pounds for the watch, but I only had 3 pounds and some loose change on me, and eventually he accepted that and I walked away thinking that I had got a bargain.

Back on the rigs and another guy was showing off his Rolex which he bought for a steal in Lagos, and another chap there who was a bit of a watch fanatic, managed to get the back of his watch off, and lo and behold there was a very small movement inside which looked as if it could have come out of a Christmas cracker!

So mine was next on the block and sure enough, inside was a very small movement on which was stamped, "one jewel unadjusted" movement and it also had a very clever metal clamp designed to keep the movement in place.

One guy who had also bought a "Rolex" refused to let anyone look inside of it and insisted that his was the real deal and wanted to sell it for a fair sum of money, so he got no takers.

My Seiko one jewel unadjusted movement watch lasted for about five years before I had to throw it away.

I bought my gold Eterna wristwatch in Jersey in 1980 or thereabouts and it's lasted me extremely well until just recently, so I was very pleased to be able to get it repaired, as it has a certain sentimental value to it as well as being quite rare now.

• Like 2

I bought some fake watches in Bangkok in the early 90s for about 500 baht each. Few people seem to wear watches anymore.

What do these fakes normally sell for these days? I don't believe the figure stated in the article.

• 1 month later...
On 1/15/2020 at 3:20 PM, webfact said:

Wirat reportedly told police that they bought the fake watches from a manufacturer at Bt500 apiece with the intention of reselling them at around Bt12,000 each.

Quite a markup - the balls on these two.  I've seen some very good "copies" of the real watches but can't imagine what 500b gets you.