Thai Passport for Stepson

magicroundabout

Hi Folks, 

Looking for a bit of advice in trying to get my stepson a thai passport.  A little background. Me and my wife live in the UK. We are hoping to bring my wife's son over for a holiday to the UK later this year. He's due to finish school soon and is 16 years old. He's lived with my wife's parents since he was a small boy. His biological father hasn't seen him since he was born and no longer lives in Thailand. 

We have contracted the local passport office (which is khon kaen). They have advised my wife will need to go to the local amphur office to get papers signed to say she has sole responsibility for the child and then apply for the passport. 

However, it would be difficult for my wife to make two trips to Thailand this year. Has anyone any experience/tips of getting a thai passport without the parents being present in Thailand? 

As the boy is already 16 years old, it should be no problem at all for your wife. A Thai person can from the age of 15 apply alone for a passport without any parent attending. I would assume that the son have all papers needed for do that, due to that he must be written in his mother parents Tabien Baan for attending school. If any paper is missing for him, it should be possible for him to get it directly from the Amphur he belongs to.

Matzzon is correct, the boy can apply for his passport on his own but Until he reaches the age of 20 and becomes an adult then he still needs the paperwork from the amphur and therefore the mother will still have to go to the amphur to sign to show custody etc.

However if the mother comes to Thailand to go to the amphur then she will get that paperwork immediately and can then accompany her son going to the passport office on the same day. The passport generally takes about five days but she can pay 3,000 baht for an emergency passport and get that the next day, if she wants to cut the time down.

The one thing the OP has not mentioned, and will probably be the hardest thing to get, is the boys visa for the UK.

HL

Contact the Thai embassy or general consulate in England or alternatively the Thai Consular Department near Chaeng Wattana. The mother should be able to have the formm witnessed/certified at the Thai embassy or a general consulate in the UK and have it send to Thailand. 

If the embassy is onwilling the Thai consular department can assist.