Action needed now to save "filthy, dangerous, rip-off, vice ridden" Pattaya, says watchdog

webfact

3 hours ago, BobinBKK said:

If they get rid of the prostitutes, how are these poor girls supposed to support their families? All of these girls come from Issan with little or no education and no work for them. The economy, the country, the culture is what it is in Thailand. There is no social security system for the elderly so a family will have many children. The boys stay home to work what few jobs there are and the girls go to Pattaya and the like to work in the sex industry. It's a fact of life in Thailand and nothing will ever change because they don't want to live by any other cultural standards. They think they know better than the rest of the world so just wash your hands of it and take from it what works best for you until it's all gone and move on...

Of course this is not the case. But it's not a really important point anyway. ????

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Thian said:

The stoplights at the zebra's on beachroad don't work...the bahtbuses horn nonstop, taxi's don't use meters, it stinks, coconuts hanging above the sidewalk, the wider beach has been washed away, the new Bali Hai pier is crappy, annoying watchvendors who come into restaurants, annoying ladyboys who sexually harass pedestrians, dirty sea, bad air.....need i go on?

But apart from that it's ok then ?

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

You can't change the mindset... but you can change the personal at city hall which is where most of the damage stems from.

Time for a change of leadership, and a huge shake-up from the top to the bottom.

But like most "brands" it takes decades to build up and a few seconds to lose it all.. Thailand not just Pattaya has lost it's brand name, exploiting everything until it's damaged beyond repair!

I hope all the owners invested wisely there's going to be some very lean times ahead for some!

NO I love them and they protect the city - Kamnan Pho's sons have done well. On a serious note the free concert at Bali Hi leading up to NYW was first class with some amazing Thai bands , brilliant sound , staging and all for free. 

e7d4a8c415bef1b8a393065ab9f6335c.jpeg

11 hours ago, Kemp87 said:

Tourist numbers aren’t down because of how Pattaya is! Pattaya’s always been rough round the edges, for some people the chaos is part of the lure! It’s performed well in the past when it was rougher! Numbers are down because of rising costs! Same as Phuket!

That “useless transport system” including Those “rip off” 10 baht baht buses that take you everywhere are so awful ???? get a grip!!

I've never been anywhere with such a reasonably priced and efficient transport system. If you're in too much of a hurry to use baht buses an M/C taxi can get you from one end of town to the other in less than 10 minutes usually for less than 100 baht.

9 hours ago, Trentham said:

Action needed now to save "filthy, dangerous, rip-off, vice ridden

I agree with all those adjectives. That is why I never go there.

How do you know what it's like then?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, twizzian said:

Pattaya is my least favourite place to visit, but worst of all is the vile taste of Starbucks coffee.

Who goes on holiday anywhere to drink that over priced swill.

I'd sooner drink a cup of coffee made from a Birdy sachet in my hotel room.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BobinBKK said:

If they get rid of the prostitutes, how are these poor girls supposed to support their families? All of these girls come from Issan with little or no education and no work for them. The economy, the country, the culture is what it is in Thailand. There is no social security system for the elderly so a family will have many children. The boys stay home to work what few jobs there are and the girls go to Pattaya and the like to work in the sex industry. It's a fact of life in Thailand and nothing will ever change because they don't want to live by any other cultural standards. They think they know better than the rest of the world so just wash your hands of it and take from it what works best for you until it's all gone and move on...

When you've gotten down from your high and misinformed horse, go and check on Thailand's unemployment rate and get back to us, ok?

• Sad 1

without the bars ladyboys  and others,they would be no pattaya providing for thais and farangs/tourist whoever else may come.the town brings tourist to the country and the police thank them too.do they want a ghost town if no one goes,it is almost a ghost town now

6 hours ago, NanLaew said:

When you've gotten down from your high and misinformed horse, go and check on Thailand's unemployment rate and get back to us, ok?

Instead of expecting others to trawl through the internet why don't you check it yourself and then you get back us, OK.

You've got the internet in front of you and a bright fellow such as yourself would obviously know where to find the relevant information.

You can copy and paste it if it's easier for you.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dont confuse me said:

This may come as a shock but 99% of Thailand is a rip off. I lived there for 6 years so glad I got out when I did.

Came back for a couple of months with the wife .....NEVER AGAIN far nicer cleaner cheaper places in Europe. 

If I had a wife I'd never take her there. It'd be like taking coals to Newcastle! 

It's a single man's paradise. Or it was before the exchange rates got out of control. It's still affordable if you keep out of the GGBs, many of them have apparently last the plot.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Sorry Nan, I agree with Bobin.  Thai males are cosseted by their mummies and grandmothers from birth.  The girls are treated as 2nd class citizens.  They are then left holding the baby literally when the Thai male moves on to fresher pastures.  The girl has to seek employment which can support a baby (or 2) + grandparents.  Having no qualifications or connections they are left with Hobson's Choice: the Vice trade or starve, thanks to a lack of social services to protect the vulnerable. (The kids.) If Thai men were forced to pay maintenance it would be a different story.

The look on many a girl's face as they accompany some fat, leering socially inept farang back to their grubby lair often says it all. Most are only doing it for the money and if they find a nice one a ticket out of dodge. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, URMySunshine said:

The look on many a girl's face as they accompany some fat, leering socially inept farang back to their grubby lair often says it all. Most are only doing it for the money and if they find a nice one a ticket out of dodge. 

That covers many places in world. Pattaya's only one of them. OK, maybe some places don't have so many sick buffalo.

• Like 1

Two years ago we spent a week in in Pattaya and my only negative thought was they need to find a solution to the waste management process or lack there of. 

As far as prostitutes and criminal activity, I don't remember seeing either. But then again I don't go looking for it. On the beach I would sometimes see  older men with a woman young enough to be his granddaughter and think I hope his wife is or was a Thai woman and that's his relative. 

Currently enjoying a break here in Thailand from the harsh North American winter. 

Be well everyone. ????????????????

1 minute ago, overherebc said:

That covers many places in world. Pattaya's only one of them. OK, maybe some places don't have so many sick buffalo.

Pretty much in your face here though doesn't include many a nice guy renting a friend though. There are plenty of those including me in the long distance past. 

5 hours ago, Dont confuse me said:

This may come as a shock but 99% of Thailand is a rip off. I lived there for 6 years so glad I got out when I did.

Came back for a couple of months with the wife .....NEVER AGAIN far nicer cleaner cheaper places in Europe. 

A middle aged chum of mine took his wife on holiday to Pattaya.

As soon as she took stock of the place she said, "Oh, this is where you <deleted> well go for those <deleted> 'golfing holidays' is it".

He's now divorced and lives in a second hand caravan in Kent in England and when the site closes down for the winter he has stay with his daughter, but she's getting browned off with him. His wife got the house that he'd spent his working life paying for.

And to rub salt into the wound his ex wife has moved her fancy man into what used to be his house.

The moral of this little tale is don't take your wife to Pattaya if you've been there before and she hasn't.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

A middle aged chum of mine took his wife on holiday to Pattaya.

As soon as she took stock of the place she said, "Oh, this is where you <deleted> well go for those <deleted> 'golfing holidays' is it".

He's now divorced and lives in a second hand caravan in Kent in England and when the site closes down for the winter he has stay with his daughter, but she's getting browned off with him. His wife got the house that he'd spent his working life paying for.

And to rub salt into the wound his ex wife has moved her fancy man into what used to be his house.

The moral of this little tale is don't take your wife to Pattaya if you've been there before and she hasn't.

Rule No 1 - what happens in Pattaya stays in Pattaya. The 'second hand caravan in Kent raised a chuckle. 

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Dont confuse me said:

Name one place in Europe with Beautiful beaches from December to May that's cheaper to live in than Thailand and I'll check it out next winter. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

What branch of Starbucks do you work in then?

Stayed at a friends place years ago in UK and in the morning went to the kitchen to get coffee for me and wife. He had a container of Birdy, I'd never seen it before so used it. It is impossible to say what it actually tasted like. ????????

16 minutes ago, iLuvThai said:

Name one place in Europe with Beautiful beaches from December to May that's cheaper to live in than Thailand and I'll check it out next winter. 

Depends what you need for a holiday? 5* hotels or rent a small self catering apartment etc.  B&B or room only?  Nice wine, sliced meat, cheese, fresh crusty bread and a bit of salad bought locally or fried some kind of meat with various weeds covered in dried chilli so it tastes of something.

Pizza with real cheese etc instead of sweet mayo squirted all over.

Choice is yours.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, iLuvThai said:

Blackpool or Clacton on Sea.

• Like 1