Cabinet allows greater imports of potatoes, onions from Australia, New Zealand under trade pacts

webfact

Cabinet allows greater imports of potatoes, onions from Australia, New Zealand under trade pacts

By THE NATION

800_e982b8980440cd9.jpg?v=1579062463

The Cabinet has approved regulations for the import of onions and potatoes as well as their seeds from Australia and New Zealand on a free-trade basis, Government Deputy Spokeswoman Ratchada Thanadirek said on Tuesday (January 14).

“In 2005, Thailand signed the Thailand-Australia Free Trade Agreement [TAFTA] and the Thailand-New Zealand Closer Economic Partnership Agreement [TNZEP], which erected tariff barriers on certain agricultural produce in order to protect domestic products,” she said. “The agreements will, however, gradually lower the tariff and limits over the years until fully free trade conditions are achieved, meaning unlimited quantities of the products can be imported free of tariff.”

In 2020, onions and potatoes as well as their seeds from Australia and New Zealand will become free of import tariff under TAFTA and TNZEP, therefore the Cabinet has ordered the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives to draw up regulations for importers of these produce, as follows:

➤ Importers of onions and potatoes as well as their seeds must be a juristic person registered as an importer of the respective produce with the Department of Foreign Trade, Ministry of Commerce. The registration must be renewed annually.

➤ Importers must apply for certificate of import tax exemption under the free trade agreement.

➤ Importers must use those produce for their own manufacturing and processing. Resale and transfer of the produce is not allowed.

➤ The produce must be processed at Customs checkpoints that have plant, food and drug quarantine stations.

Ratchada further added that the Office of Agricultural Economics had studied the impact of free trade of these products and concluded that it should not pose negative effects on domestic farmers. “Furthermore, the Ministry of Agriculture has been urging local farmers to improve their product quality using new technologies through the smart farming initiative, which should help boost their competitiveness against imported products.”

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30380586

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-01-15

13 minutes ago, canopus1969 said:

Good, we may be able to buy half decent spuds in the future

Apparently you missed this little detail in the OP article?

Importers must use those produce for their own manufacturing and processing. Resale and transfer of the produce is not allowed.

• Sad 1

Yes, they will still be expensive, like the Chinese ones they

import now,importers must be making a good profit on them,

The imported veg from Australia,Turnips,Parsnips, etc, ridiculous

prices, example a large Savoy cabbage at a local supermarket,

only 600 THB.

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

The importation of vegetables under the Australia & NZ trade pact will be minimal as they will be far too expensive for local consumers and the purchases from farang will be so tiny that the importer will not bother as the fruit will rot before it is sold. 

10 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

Onions and tomatos? I am waiting for a tax free import of cars, beer and other high taxed goods.

I think the closet you might get is McLaren Senna pods or Corvettes courgettes.

I suppose they Mustang a bit low on the list of priorities.

20 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Let's call the whole thing off.

At least Bluesofa got it... unlike the rest of you mokes, apparently.....  :laugh:

Let's Call The Whole Thing Off
Song by Fred Astaire

You like potato and I like potahto,
You like tomato and I like tomahto;
Potato, potahto, tomato, tomahto!
Let's call the whole thing off!

Astaire is well before my time, generation wise... But the "potato, tomato" parlay is a classic....

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Does anybody know why the potatoes here are as hard as rocks?

Probably the type of potato. There's very little choice here. Back in northern farangland every larger shop would have at least six varieties, the farmers markets more than a dozen.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, johng said:

Because you haven't cooked them yet ?   I always choose the hard potatoes  the soft ones are or very nearly mouldy !

Now that you mention it, they do soften up after I cook them. :smile:

What I meant to say is that the potatoes here are sometimes incredibly hard, much harder than the hardest raw potato I've ever found back home.

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Yes, they will still be expensive, like the Chinese ones they

import now,importers must be making a good profit on them,

The imported veg from Australia,Turnips,Parsnips, etc, ridiculous

prices, example a large Savoy cabbage at a local supermarket,

only 600 THB.

regards worgeordie

Agreed, one parsnip from OZ in Rimping supermarket today was 168 baht.

7 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Importers must use those produce for their own manufacturing and processing. Resale and transfer of the produce is not allowed.

So can only be made into Junk food how disappointing  ???? still stuck with the same <deleted> now then.

6 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Probably the type of potato. There's very little choice here. Back in northern farangland every larger shop would have at least six varieties, the farmers markets more than a dozen.

When I was growing them for home use there were about 40 varieties back home. Some of course were 'exotics' and not worth eating.

4 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

When I was growing them for home use there were about 40 varieties back home. Some of course were 'exotics' and not worth eating.

About 50 where I come from: https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luettelo_Suomen_perunalajikkeista . Some are seasonal. You can only dream of such here.

EDIT: there seems to even be an European organization for potatoes: https://www.europotato.org/

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1