Lopburi robber: Related to influential local, needed money for football gambling debt, say sources

webfact

11 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

am aware of the price of gold but it needs to be put into context. I stated what I did assuming it might be difficult to melt it down at home when there is a nation wide manhunt out for him. Or will he just nip down to the local Thai Watsadu to buy a few bits and bobs, propelant and tools on his pink and white Fino to knock up home made forge in the jungle somewhere?

Gold melting furnace 7,000bht on Lazada, delivered to your door, no need to go out.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/2kg-metal-melting-furnace-kiln-refining-gold-silver-module-jewelry-processing-tool-220v-i395050373-s766950115.html

Edited by BritManToo

2 hours ago, Artisi said:

As if the dealer would care, gold is gold and money is money. Purchase at a reduced rate and flogged of at full price, plus drop a hint or two with the BIB - half shares it he reward, no questions asked

A Thai baby was just killed, among others. Plus, the dealer would obviously be risking his entire business when not reporting obviously suspicious activity. Double plus, if you are the one to nab this guy I am guessing your gold shop will be mighty busy with the hero status and all. 

We just have a difference of opinion I suppose. Nothing wrong with that. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Do you really believe the most wanted man in Thailand right now has the ability to buy on lazada and then wait around for it to arrive?

How will he pay for it? If by credit card it is already likely all credit cards by all 13 suspects have been flagged (only 13 guns, apparently). If by cash, I'm finding it incredible that a guy desperate to murder and rob had a lazy 7000 baht just sitting around doing nothing.

And where will this furnace to be delivered to? Do you really believe this guy has a secret lair that police have not identified yet?

On the face of it, you points are valid but when put into context of what has happened and massive search going on, I think you are way off the mark.

Also, do you still believe he would get market value for non official bullion in this time considering all that is going on?

1 minute ago, Farangwithaplan said:

Also, do you still believe he would get market value for non official bullion in this time considering all that is going on?

Yes, maybe a slight discount for 'no questions asked'.

Thais are purely driven by greed, nothing else matters.

(Not all Thais, but certainly the ones buying and selling gold)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Ok, assuming all you said is true. "Thais are greedy", which i don't agree with, but if they are...

Wouldn't he stand to gain much more long term by being the one who caught the guy, shop on the news and all, than if he bought a gold bar? All the gold shops make when they buy gold is the difference between the buy-sell price.

Buying this gold is worth next to nothing. Especially when the price is high (like right now). Why would a shop risk anything if they thought the transaction was suspicious? 

46 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Then if Thai gold traders are so unscrupulous, why waste 7000 baht on buying a furnace? A furnace that i still trying to understand about how it would be paid for and where it would be delivered to?

7 hours ago, sucit said:

Ok, assuming all you said is true. "Thais are greedy", which i don't agree with, but if they are...

Wouldn't he stand to gain much more long term by being the one who caught the guy, shop on the news and all, than if he bought a gold bar? All the gold shops make when they buy gold is the difference between the buy-sell price.

Buying this gold is worth next to nothing. Especially when the price is high (like right now). Why would a shop risk anything if they thought the transaction was suspicious? 

The awakening, when it comes to you (if it comes to you, it doesn't come to everyone) will likely be a crushing experience - if you take any notice of it at all. Personally, I think you're about as wrong as you can be about Thais, But when we call someone venal (or anything else), what we are doing is a mental comparison with ourselves. The mechanism is: compare the other person favourably with the self-mage  we would like people to have about ourselves, and then project that imge on to the other person (a Thai in this case). Then the conclusion of that exercise is either ignored or modified by our own rationalising capability (sort of a manufactured filter based on our own self-knowledge and world experience). This is how 10 people can cast an opinion of another person and come up with a graduated series of 10 conclusions).

When you wake up to Thais, it is often contemporaneous with or triggers a re-evaluation of self. The majority of people are even less honest with themselves than they are with other people in this regard. Draw your own conclusions. In my estimation, Thais in general (yes, a sweeping generalisation but not invalid on that basis) are venal, money-orientated above all else except face, and definitely not to be trusted in things bigger than 'do you think it will rain today?'. Personal relationships notwithstanding.

Sorry it's not better news, I understand you may not like it, but truth does not need to meet with individual approval in order to be true. Paracetamol doesn't taste very nice, but if you have a headache you still swallow a couple down.

Edited by ParkerN
  • Confused 1

On 1/15/2020 at 1:55 PM, realenglish1 said:

If this source knew who the killer was according to this post He would already be in custody. This is pure speculation Nothing more

You clearly know nothing about how things work here.

On 1/16/2020 at 9:08 AM, Farangwithaplan said:

I am aware of the price of gold but it needs to be put into context. I stated what I did assuming it might be difficult to melt it down at home when there is a nation wide manhunt out for him. Or will he just nip/limp down to the local Thai Watsadu to buy a few bits and bobs, propelant and tools on his pink and white Fino to knock up home made forge in the jungle somewhere?

My point is that the guy is wanted all over and it's probable that taking the time to melt down gold is not high on his list. Also it is unlikely that reputable gold merchants would give market rate for non professionally stamped gold bullion. Also, considering the news of this crime gold merchants would likely be suspicious anyone fitting a description of a limping Thai guy trying to flog gold without provenance.

That is my reasoning for thinking he would not get near market value.

I think it is obvious to anyone that the gold will not fetch anything near market value.

Seeing the above posts, it is possible we will soon know a lot more.

3 hours ago, jimn said:

Not that anybody on here would believe it but there is a very good chance that the police leaked out this report of it being an "influential person" to take the heat off and enable them to swoop in on their actual suspect quietly. 

Meanwhile 80% of TVF is in a complete tailspin.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1