Americans Leaving Thailand can reclaim their personal income tax?!!

Hello all, 

I had a former principal at my school inform me that Americans leaving Thailand are able to reclaim taxes paid on personal income tax. I was wondering if someone would be able to confirm this or knew someone I could reach out to that might be able to clarify whether this is accurate information. The principal has been here for 15 years so he is pretty knowledgeable but I am just trying to find out before I make the trek to the Tax office. Thanks in advance!! 

I e-file my US Federal income tax returns each year with the IRS and my homecstate.

I get all of my state income tax returned from my home state (each state has different rules), as I am a non-resident, as well as a modest amount back on my federal return.

Income earned outside of the US must be declared, as well as any foreign bank or financial accounts (FBAR). The IRS webpage has the answer to most questions. It is much easier to comply than to explain why one did not. Good luck.

Edited by Benmart

• 2 weeks later...

I believe the OP is referring to Thai tax paid. Yes and No would be the answer. Yes, at the end of each year you have the option of claiming SS Tax back. No, you don't have the option of reclaiming more than the last year paid until retirement age which in Thailand is usually 60 but can be done at 58/59. Then you have the option of 1 lump sum payment or monthly payments.

Since you probably didn't have any US tax withheld from your Thai salary (unless you worked for a foreign company) then there would be no tax to "reclaim".

IF you opted each year to declare your foreign wages to the IRS and made payments to them then it's pretty much what the IRS says about that but I read your post as referring to Thai taxes.