Non-B Visa at Chaeng Wattana, Bangkok

Has anyone recently (in the last couple of years) successfully gained a 3 month non-B visa from Chaeng Wattana Immigration, Bangkok?

I have a friend who is here on a tourist visa and has been told that this will be possible.

I am just wondering if it is so (and thus avoiding the expense of leaving the country). And if anyone has any knowledge/experience of actually doing it.

Many thanks for your help.

I was replying to your question about it being possible. 

I think there are people doing it everyday at CW.  But many choose not to do it at immigration because it requires a lot more documents than at a embassy or consulate.

Ubon Joe is correct. You can get a three-month Non-B there.

But it is more involved than doing it outside the country, for example, I had to have my degree both notarized (by my embassy) and legalized (by the Ministry for Foreign Affairs). The latter took two trips to Chaengwatthana. No such requirement in the consulate in Vientiane with several previous applications.

Also, I think the application had to be submitted two weeks before the expiry of the tourist visa.

In addition, there is now a two week review period before the visa is issued. Apparently this was introduced quite recently. Of course, this also requires two trips to Immigration. However, if you go to a consulate the visa is issued the following day.

Would have preferred to have done it in Vientiane, not just because I have friends there and like the place but because, overall, it's actually less hassle and less time consuming.