OA extension with Insurance - Still failed !

13 hours ago, britishjohn said:

I was under the impression that extensions are tacked on top off your existing permission to stay so you don't lose anything by going early. I've never done an extension before so I don't know. Are you saying that if you go a month early, you will get a new extension of stay from that date, but it will be for 13 months ?

Yes, if you do a retirement extension at the tail end of a current one you do not 'lose' any time.... I also accept that effectively you may seem to get a 13 month extension.... the way you put it is what I try to say. This contradicts the order that the maximum extension is 12 months.... or maybe it doesn't if one plays with semantics. 

I wish someone like UJ would comment but I pulled that line from something I read on here once, but remember vaguely... namely that you can only have one valid permission of stay and a new one cancels previous re-entry permits. 

• Like 1

IMO, this is just the tip of the iceberg. As China and India replace the now older expats and Western tourism steadily declines. It's going to get really ugly.

• Sad 1

On 1/15/2020 at 6:26 PM, britishjohn said:

That's how it should work. But in my case she won't give me a full years extension. I'll get something like 11.5 months.

The only way round that would be to ask the broker to arrange a longer policy and pay the extra.

The whole thing is joke ! And yes I am very cranky....

Land of  Stupidity what else do you expect, there is no such thing as common sense in their vocabulary. Ah what a nice country this could be if they could only treasure common sense like they do money!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, wtfracing said:

Land of  Stupidity what else do you expect, there is no such thing as common sense in their vocabulary. Ah what a nice country this could be if they could only treasure common sense like they do money!

Also don't forget land of signatures ! 

A few days ago I lost my K bank debit card and called into my branch to get a new one. I was in there 1.5 hours and signed my name 15 times !

I got a call the next day telling me they had forgotten to ask me to sign something and could I call into the branch. They presented me with piece of paper that I had already signed twice and asked me to sign it another two times !

Edited by britishjohn
  • Haha 2

No consequences for Immigration for screwing up

Lot's of complication if we screw up

Why in the world should we continue to play a game we can't possibly win ?

I really feel for those who have invested a lot emotionally in Thailand.  I am lucky,  I have plenty of time to decide if I want to continue to play this game to come to this country to spend my money, and the tea leaves are showing me it is no longer worth it  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, britishjohn said:

Also don't forget land of signatures ! 

A few days ago I lost my K bank debit card and called into my branch to get a new one. I was in there 1.5 hours and signed my name 15 times !

A got a call the next day telling me they had forgotten to ask me to sign something and could I call into the branch. They presented me with piece of paper that I had already signed twice and asked me to sign it another two times !

Signatures and photocopies. Printer ink would definitely be a good business to be in.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

Signatures and photocopies. Printer ink would definitely be a good business to be in.

But at least they did manage to squeeze 4 of my signatures onto one piece of paper...which is very environmentally conscious of them ????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jesimps said:

The only advice I can offer is to try and get a male officer next time, the females tend to hate the world.

No truer words were ever spoken. A few years ago in KK I had a female officer follow me out of immigration screaming that she was going to have me arrested. Because I disagreed with her about something. I never raised my voice and she went ballistic. Crazy

Edited by garyk

On 1/16/2020 at 12:33 AM, britishjohn said:

The insurance broker told me they will cancel my policy and issue a new one commencing tomorrow afternoon, but advised me not to waste another day at CW tomorrow as they will probably say the policy doesn't start for another hour or two ! I will return on Friday.

But it really is getting quite ridiculous here...I fork out for an insurance policy which is virtually useless for health purposes, and is simply a device to obtain an extension and still they are not satisfied. Together with all the TM30 nonsense and other endless paperwork, I can't see myself sticking around for long. There are certainly way better visas elsewhere...

I was told outright by a Retired Immigration Officer on Monday that the law is written clearly enough and it says that Insurance is NOT required for existing Retirement Extensions based on an original O-A Visa  and any office saying its required is , "Not doing correct thing ."

Edited by blackcab
Fixed quote

7 minutes ago, zaZa9 said:

I was told outright by a Retired Immigration Officer on Monday that the law is written clearly enough and it says that Insurance is NOT required for existing Retirement Extensions based on an original O-A Visa  and any office saying its required is , "Not doing correct thing ."

This is what all on pre October 31 2018 O-A's would like to know unequivocally......well I would at least; before May would be good!

Thanks for posting @britishjohn; but anecdotal doesn't cut it. Just sayin'

Edited by UncleMhee

On 1/15/2020 at 6:12 PM, flexomike said:

Because the new extension day would have started on the 27th, you don't loose any days on your extension by applying early, this is really screwed up, so now you will loose days on your extension unless you apply on the day it is due, only in Thailand

That's not the case. The officer wouldn't extend from the 27th because the foreigner did not have an insurance policy in force at the time he wanted to complete the renewal. She wasn't, from how I read the post, wanting to change the future expiry date but was insisting the insurance must be in place.

I guess her logic was that once granted, the new permission to stay overrules and replaces the old one. The date shown in the new stamp in the passport is the date on which the permission is granted. The expiry date is 12 months from the old expiry date. So, if you apply early the new permission covers the few days in between when you apply and when the old permission would've expired had you not renewed early.

Pedantic perhaps, but can see why she thought this should be.

• Confused 1

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 6:45 PM, flexomike said:

I disagree with you, the day you apply is irrelevant, do not need insurance on old extension, insurance starts on the day of new extension, you do not loose days on your permission to stay when you apply early, If his extension expires on the 

100% correct.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

That's not the case. The officer wouldn't extend from the 27th because the foreigner did not have an insurance policy in force at the time he wanted to complete the renewal. She wasn't, from how I read the post, wanting to change the future expiry date but was insisting the insurance must be in place.

I guess her logic was that once granted, the new permission to stay overrules and replaces the old one. The date shown in the new stamp in the passport is the date on which the permission is granted. The expiry date is 12 months from the old expiry date. So, if you apply early the new permission covers the few days in between when you apply and when the old permission would've expired had you not renewed early.

Pedantic perhaps, but can see why she thought this should be.

"The expiry date is 12 months from the old expiry date. So, if you apply early the new permission covers the few days in between when you apply and when the old permission would've expired had you not renewed early"

No it does not. if you renew your extension of stay a week before the old extension expires. The new extension start at the end of your current extension, not the date of renewal. Please make sure you post correct information as this is an important subject to many people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Actually the extension runs from the day it is issued, so the IO perhaps has a point. 

I believe this as one can only have one valid Permission of Stay in your passport. 

Is it not the case that if one applies for an Extension a month before necessary and it is issued, a new Re-Entry Permit would be required for any travel from then on?

"Actually the extension runs from the day it is issued"

Really??? I have just checked my passport to make sure that I wasn't talking through my ar se and my extension of stay starts on the 29 Dec every year but I always renew between the 1st and 13th of December. So how do you figure that the extension start on the day that you renew.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/15/2020 at 11:30 AM, britishjohn said:

Now he is going to back date the policy to start tomorrow and I will return on Friday for another attempt. This of course means that I will not get a full year extension.

Why not change from "O-A" visa to an ordinary "O" based on retirement and then extend that; same conditions, but no mandatory health insurance.

On 1/17/2020 at 11:02 AM, lensta said:

I have just checked my passport to make sure that I wasn't talking through my ar se and my extension of stay starts on the 29 Dec every year

Mine doesn't refer to a 'start date' whatsoever. There is a date of issue... (3+ weeks prior to the expiration of previous permit to stay), and a 'Extension of Stay Permitted Up To' date stamp, which is the one year anniversary of the previous Permit. (Covering nearly 13 months). 

Another example I saw today was of an agent obtained Retirement Extension, the Extension stamp shows an  issue on one date, and the permitted Up to date was 15 months later. A Non Imm O conversion of a Visa Waiver gave 3 months, plus the 12 months Extension, total 15 months. 

On 1/15/2020 at 6:26 PM, britishjohn said:

That's how it should work. But in my case she won't give me a full years extension. I'll get something like 11.5 months.

The only way round that would be to ask the broker to arrange a longer policy and pay the extra.

The whole thing is joke ! And yes I am very cranky....

You were in the right and she was clearly wrong. Too late now, but in such a situation as this would it do any good to ask for a supervisor?

• Like 2

On 1/15/2020 at 6:34 PM, couchpotato said:

Well I am going look at this another way.

Basically the day you applied, you were not insured. You did not have a policy covering you for that day. So the immigration person was perfectly correct, although I do agree she should have been a bit more flexible.

Why you would chance a rejection to save/or gain a day is just stupidity..

Next year renew the policy in time.

He didn't have an insurance earlier because it wasn't a requirement. He officially needs an insurance when the next 1 year extension starts = January 27. Even if you apply for the extension 1 month early, it kicks in the day after the last extension expires, and that's also the first day for the insurance policy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SunsetT said:

PS: So is Pacific Cross on the Thai list of insurers? I used Pacific Cross for many years for travei insurance to Thailand. What policy of theirs did u get, please, to satisfy OA requirements?

PC has an excellent website in english, and they have several policies meeting the requirements. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Mine doesn't refer to a 'start date' whatsoever. There is a date of issue... (3+ weeks prior to the expiration of previous permit to stay), and a 'Extension of Stay Permitted Up To' date stamp, which is the one year anniversary of the previous Permit. (Covering nearly 13 months). 

Another example I saw today was of an agent obtained Retirement Extension, the Extension stamp shows an  issue on one date, and the permitted Up to date was 15 months later. A Non Imm O conversion of a Visa Waiver gave 3 months, plus the 12 months Extension, total 15 months. 

You can use an agent for a 90 days Non-immigrant O + a 1 year extension = hence 3+12 months. The annual extension expires the same date every year, and obviously starts the same date every year. 

Edited by Max69xl
More info

On 1/15/2020 at 6:34 PM, couchpotato said:

Basically the day you applied, you were not insured. You did not have a policy covering you for that day. So the immigration person was perfectly correct, although I do agree she should have been a bit more flexible.

It's an extension, he was already stamped in on a previous extension or entry which doesn't require insurance due to when it was issued.

Immigration are wrong here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1