OA extension with Insurance - Still failed !

10 hours ago, britishjohn said:

Well I'm at CW now and have succeeded in getting the extension, 3 hours after arriving.

However while normally the extension would last for another 12 months following expiry of the current permission to stay, in my case it does not.

My current stay expires 26 Jan 2020, but she has only given me until the 16th Jan 2021.

Reason being is the insurance expires on that day as I had to change the start date on the insurance to yesterday and the policy lasts one year.

I could have left the start date the same and returned here on the 27 Jan but then I would have been on overstay and fined 500 baht. I didn't fancy that and wanted to get it out of the way.

Now I'll queue for the re entry permit !

Didn't you ask for a supervisor? The officer was wrong. 

10 minutes ago, EricTh said:

This health insurance is really ridiculous, it should start from the date of new extension and not date of application.

The other solution would be to change to O visa or just move to Philippines.

The officer was wrong. The OP's insurance should have started the same date as the extension. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Didn't you ask for a supervisor? The officer was wrong. 

First time I've done this and wasn't aware of any supervisor option. 

However when I went into the booth, the first woman who dealt with me told me the insurance dates were wrong and then she passed the papers to the woman sitting at the desk at the back who also reiterated the same thing. Perhaps she was the supervisor, I don't know.

Edited by britishjohn

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Broker is an idiot, when you apply, you need insurance. So just start the insurance 1 day before you apply and you won't have any issues. 

Well it's not just the broker is it, according to you, most of us here are idiots also.

Please enlighten us, and tell us how you come to a conclusion that contradicts the opinion of most people here...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, britishjohn said:

Well it's not just the broker is it, according to you, most of us here are idiots also.

Please enlighten us, and tell us how you come to a conclusion that contradicts the opinion of most people here...

What part of "when you apply, you need insurance" don't you understand?

3 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Broker is an idiot, when you apply, you need insurance. So just start the insurance 1 day before you apply and you won't have any issues. 

An insurance isn't needed until his next extension, and his present extension expires January 26. That's why he chosed January 27 as the start date for his insurance policy. It has nothing to do with the application date. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

He didn't need an insurance when he applied,because his extension is valid until January 26. He needs it when the next 1 year extension starts, in his case January 27.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

When you go around calling people idiots you're implying they made a an error which is blindingly obvious. Considering they have done many of these policies on this basis without an issue why is it idiotic to advise me to do the same thing ?

• Thanks 1

On 1/15/2020 at 8:25 PM, OJAS said:

Yes, basically you can kiss goodbye to any chance of submitting future retirement extension applications 30 days in advance of your latest permission to stay expiring if you're affected by the insurance requirement. This is because insurance companies generally only issue renewal notices 1 month before the current policy is due to expire. And it only takes foot-dragging on your insurance company's part in processing your policy renewal in conjunction with an extended holiday period to result in you either having to sail very close to the wind as regards the timing of your extension application, or, at worst, finding yourself in deep, deep doo-dah if the hallowed new insurance certificate which Immigration insist on doesn't show up in your mailbox by the time your current permission to stay expires.

Instead next time when he extends will have the old insurance still valid and can apply one month before and then extend the insurance when expiring but with visa already valid for one year

• Thanks 1

On 1/15/2020 at 6:33 PM, britishjohn said:

But it really is getting quite ridiculous here...I fork out for an insurance policy which is virtually useless for health purposes, and is simply a device to obtain an extension and still they are not satisfied. Together with all the TM30 nonsense and other endless paperwork, I can't see myself sticking around for long. There are certainly way better visas elsewhere...

Yes, utterly ridiculous and actually wrong by IO because your present permission to stay does not require the bogus health-insurance, only the new OA - retirement extension requires it.

But interested to hear why you did not take the surprisingly easy road to convert to a Non Imm O retirement Visa and subsequent extension.  The requirements and conditions for an O or an OA - retirement extension are exactly the same, except for the health-insurance requirement which is not required for the O - retirement extension.

On 1/17/2020 at 8:15 AM, Fairynuff said:

They’re all rogue officers as long they’re allowed to make their own rules rather than follow the written ones.

The answer is simple, get a good visa agent to handle it all for you and all your problems will go away; the IO Bi### will take her cut and "Bob's your Uncle" all done and dusted.

Reduce your stress, paperwork, dealing with morons and multiple trips to Thai Immigration.

I learnt my lesson years ago, it's the best investment you will ever make if you want to live here year on year with peace of mind. 

• Thanks 1