Thailand's tourist arrivals may grow less than 5% this year - industry body

snoop1130

8 minutes ago, jingjai9 said:

Instead of simply focusing on internal issues for the lag in Thai tourism, we should give credit to other countires in Asia who have improved infrastructure and now offer vacation alternatives to Thailand, a choice is nice. This competition will no doubt prompt Thailand to become creative and compete for the tourist trade. That is good; Thailand will respond.

Of course the typical Thai response will be to put the prices UP!!!!!???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smudger1951 said:

Where do these numbers come from ? Do a visa run and you are another tourist when you come back. Can't get a retirement visa so you make two or three trips instead. Are things getting better I fear not !

I agree, there is a whole heap of us from Laos alone, people like myself that frequent a Hospital in Khon Kaen, others who nip over for a few restaurant supplies etc. ... if on average I pass through boarders and the airports 10 times a year, then X that, and say 5000 others like me, (Probably a lot more) that's going to make a dent in the real tourist figs, and we don't spend a fraction of what the average tourist does and usually for only a couple of days also.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

One thing for sure, there will be a decrease of expats (according to TVF experts). 

It doesn't really matter.  We aren't important and if we all left, it would hardly be noticed!

According to figures in the 2019 Thailand Migration Report, there are just 150,707 expats residing in Thailand, of those 72,969 are retirees

We are a very small drop in the ocean.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This is more fake news. Take a look around! I dont see the same numbers when out and about. Buisnesses are saying they are struggling. Maybe there was boom of Chinese staying at there chinese owned bnb's? Thats why we arent seeing any tourists????. Westerners have definately dropped in numbers in which case businesses fail!!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand's tourist arrivals may grow less than 5% this year - industry body

Meanwhile at ground level back on planet Earth, the booking operators, hotels, bars, restaurants etc are saying tourist levels are down 20%-30% ??

• Like 1

This equates to a 15% turnaround if past figures can be believed. Until immigration clearly defines all people entering the Kingdom it will remain meaningless waffle.People entering the country need to be categorized by reason for entering. EG. Tourist,business,conference,study,research,medical treatment or returning home from visa run etc.The current numbers are fantasy to give TOT and Government a warm fuzzy feeling on how well they are doing. They have various categories on the card why don't the issue all the status by reason for entering.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HHTel said:

It doesn't really matter.  We aren't important and if we all left, it would hardly be noticed!

We are a very small drop in the ocean.

absolutely correct .... if all the retirees left it would not even cause a ripple.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, saengd said:

I'm willing to bet the farm that 99% of genuine once or twice a year tourists who show up with visa's and stay for a few weeks, and have money in their pocket, have zero problems with Immigration.

Thats right as well as alot of other residents/visitors  who have zero problems with immigration. And ill bet the farm they all have problems with alot of other things . Especially the Western visitors. Alot to put up with around here Jim.   

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, British Bulldog said:

I agree, there is a whole heap of us from Laos alone, people like myself that frequent a Hospital in Khon Kaen, others who nip over for a few restaurant supplies etc. ... if on average I pass through boarders and the airports 10 times a year, then X that, and say 5000 others like me, (Probably a lot more) that's going to make a dent in the real tourist figs, and we don't spend a fraction of what the average tourist does and usually for only a couple of days also.

TAT's tourist numbers do not include people arriving or departing via land crossings, this point was clarified a few weeks ago.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai tourism is still a booming business, even amid continued political instability, the baht’s strength against other currencies and the unresolved trade war between the United States and China, the president of the Tourism Council of Thailand said this week.

It seems that you too are infected with TAT disease ....

Unfortunately I am now of the age that my overseas friends grandchildren are starting their travels. In the past I used to get calls and email asking if I could meet them or help them out when in Thailand. Not anymore everyone of them is off to Nam as they call it

• Like 1

Before making such predictions, they should wait how that new Corona virus develops. If the outbreak reaches SARS proportions (or worse), it will have a significant impact, especially when considering how much they depend on Chinese travelers nowadays. There are many other risk factors as well.

4 hours ago, inThailand said:

Almost weekly we read conflicting news that tourism numbers and spending is down, its up. As a long term expat my eyes say for almost ten years tourism has been going down every year. Maybe more tourists, definitely more supply...hotels, restaurants, etc, and tourists spending less when you take in inflation. This years looks to be even worse. The trend continues. When will it stop? Maybe stops when the Baht weakens?

Thank you for this refreshing (and unusual for TV) clear thought.  Yes!  You see it too!  There are more people .. and the net net spend is DOWN.. That is the worst possible outcome.  It would be like the Sukhothai Bangkok opening a McDonald's in the lobby ... yeah .. a LOT more people ... but a LOT less money ... and now, the place is overcrowded and awful.

I wonder about this idea that more tourists are needed every year ... I mean .. Thailand is a finite quantity of land, resources, and things to do here.  There is an upper limit to what can be managed.  

I think Thailand is past its glory days of adventure, pristine beaches, and "wild times" ... if that is what you are looking for days.  To me, Myanmar is Thailand ... circa 1968 ... and soon people will discover its empty beaches ... etc.  And Vietnam is doing much better "tourist friendly" marketing. 

In short, Thailand lost by turning her back on what people came here for ... street food, vibrant night life, beautiful beaches, and a sense that there was some adventure to be had ... not tired scripted "get in the queue for excitement" theme parks.  Downtown BKK is BORING compared to the past.  You don't need to fly half way around the world to eat in chain restaurants!

We have been here the same amount of time, and honestly ... "the less tourists... THE BETTER!"

1 hour ago, saengd said:

TAT's tourist numbers do not include people arriving or departing via land crossings, this point was clarified a few weeks ago.

Not sure about this if Malaysian's are 3rd biggest group as they mainly use southern border for their holiday visits. 

• Like 1

I truly don't understand these two narratives.

One narrative is saying that tourist numbers increase every year.

Another narrative is saying that the tourist numbers are down due to strong baht etc.. worst high season ever etc etc.

I really don't know what to believe..

5 hours ago, inThailand said:

Almost weekly we read conflicting news that tourism numbers and spending is down, its up. As a long term expat my eyes say for almost ten years tourism has been going down every year. Maybe more tourists, definitely more supply...hotels, restaurants, etc, and tourists spending less when you take in inflation. This years looks to be even worse. The trend continues. When will it stop? Maybe stops when the Baht weakens?

I don't think long term expats are the people to ask. 

I have been here the best part of forty years but I couldn't tell you anecdotally whether tourism is up or down. 

I live my life away from tourist areas and hate the idea of going anywhere near tourists. 

Rooster

5 hours ago, inThailand said:

I have seen over the last 3 years when I went there that numbers were way down. Places empty thais complaining no farangs bars and restaurants closing or for sale so to me lies lies lies to keep face the place I stay usually is full now she asks me when I'm coming back now its hilarious. 

4 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

I read, in the Bangkok Post, that there was going to be a 1,000% increase for Indian visitors planned for several years time, at which point it may be a good idea to depart ????

Lovely. 

(Example) - Our floor of the condo is middle class Thai and a few Farang. The garbage / recycle are was going quite nicely.  An air tight bin for "wet waste".  A container for plastic, and one for (clean) glass.  

Last night, I found an open bag full of food and rice, with one bottle jammed in it ... in the plastic recycle box.  I guess the "reasoning" here was "contains plastic???"

Wondered what had changed on our floor. Oh ... wait ... could it be the 7 Indians who invaded and are staying in one small condo?

Just sayin'