thailand elite visa - application time

Not very recent sorry, about 10 months ago, but after the Immigration approvals started to take a lot longer. Also applied from Australia. Took exactly a month for approval by Immigration, only a couple more days after I’d sent the money to join and arrange an appointment at Suv. airport to have the visa attached - think they want a week or so notice for appointment if you’re flying into Thailand.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2020 at 7:31 AM, ubonjoe said:

It depends upon your nationality. It can take up to 2 months for those from countries that take a long time to get a background check done.

Do you know what type of home country background check they do?  Normally I would expect a credit check to start, but I saw no place for my US SSN.  Also, fingerprints are required for an FBI criminal record check, but of course fingerprinting is not required to apply for TE visa.

Edited by Kelsall

20 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

Do you know what type of home country background check they do?  Normally I would expect a credit check to start, but I saw no place for my US SSN.  Also, fingerprints are required for an FBI criminal record check, but of course fingerprinting is not required to apply for TE visa.

How thorough of background check they do appears to depends upon a person's nationality. Certainly no credit check.

I think for most countries they only do a check with interpol for wants and warrants. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I think for most countries they only do a check with interpol for wants and warrants.

I don't think interpol has power to issue warrant, arrest or detain anybody. Countries can send Red Alert Notices to interpol and interpol dessimentiate that to member countries. Member countries can ignore or take action if the person lands on their soils.

6 minutes ago, murikamba said:

I don't think interpol has power to issue warrant, arrest or detain anybody. Countries can send Red Alert Notices to interpol and interpol dessimentiate that to member countries. Member countries can ignore or take action if the person lands on their soils.

I did not write that interpol issues warrants. They are only a source of info that can be world wide instead of a specific country.

My wife and I, both Americans, began the process a month ago. We purchased a pair of existing Thai Elite visas from someone who had purchased the original Special Entry version over a decade ago. We are doing a transfer of these rather than buying new ones so that may cause our results to vary from others. 

Today I received an email from Thai Elite that they had gotten verbal confirmation our background check is complete and a letter should arrive next week confirming that at which time we can get our visas. Why bother with the verbal confirmation and not go straight to the letter? Well this is Thailand and I will never know but I will be glad when this is done.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wasabi said:

My wife and I, both Americans, began the process a month ago. We purchased a pair of existing Thai Elite visas from someone who had purchased the original Special Entry version over a decade ago. We are doing a transfer of these rather than buying new ones so that may cause our results to vary from others. 

Today I received an email from Thai Elite that they had gotten verbal confirmation our background check is complete and a letter should arrive next week confirming that at which time we can get our visas. Why bother with the verbal confirmation and not go straight to the letter? Well this is Thailand and I will never know but I will be glad when this is done.

Interesting... Is the original Life long Membership grandfathered in, or are you getting 20 years ?

The original S.E. Membership (lifelong) was 1 million baht. 

Thai Elite take 20% of any of the sales fee if I’m not mistaken, how did you work that out?

I would just say I’m selling mine for 100,000 baht and let them have 20k, then make a private transaction for the privately agreed remainder !!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Interesting... Is the original Life long Membership grandfathered in, or are you getting 20 years ?

Thai Elite take 20% of any of the sales fee if I’m not mistaken, how did you work that out?

I would just say I’m selling mine for 100,000 baht and let them have 20k, then make a private transaction for the privately agreed remainder !!!

Mine will become 20 years. The fee is case by case.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wasabi said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Mine will become 20 years. The fee is case by case.

Interesting...  it does appear to be a case by case basis (I suspect that evolves over time). 

I was wrong in quoting the transfer fee is 20% of the transfer, I was informed it was 20% of the prevailing rate (back when I asked the question).

Back in 2014 I received this reply when I considered selling my Thai Elite Visa to someone. 

In the end I realised the membership was too useful to me. 

Privileges:--

1.                   5 Years Renewable Special Entry Visa

2.                   Airport Service (Transport + Airport Assistants) upon International Arrival and Departure at Suvarnabhumi Airport and Phuket International Airport

(Only transport service provided at Chiang Mai and Samui Airports)

3.                   Complimentary Annual Medical Check-Up at Hospitals

4.                   Daily Complimentary Thai Massage at different spa venues 

5.                   Daily Complimentary Green Fee at different golf courses

6.                   Government/Business Concierge via Elite Personal Liaison (EPL)  

7.                   Special Prices at Hotels/Restaurants/Department Stores 

8.                   24-Hour General Assistance at our Member Contact Centre

Conditions:--

n       30 years of Membership 

n       Unlimited times of transfer with the remaining years

n       Membership Transfer Fee at the rate of 10 percent of the Prevailing Rate (Our latest price is 2,000,000 Baht so the transfer fee will be 200,000 Baht.)

Edited by richard_smith237