Navy's submarine-purchase plan to go ahead

snoop1130

Why does Thailand needs new submarines? I guess you could ask the same question about Britain or half the world. At least they are only the fraction of the price the British and American taxpayers have to fork out for their shiny new aircraft carriers. 

10 minutes ago, Bigz said:

Why does Thailand needs new submarines? I guess you could ask the same question about Britain or half the world. At least they are only the fraction of the price the British and American taxpayers have to fork out for their shiny new aircraft carriers. 

You're right. Thailand needs submarines because it is a worldwide acting superpower. They even have a very impressive aircraft carrier to control the sea between Pattaya and Kho Larn.

• Haha 1

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 6:19 AM, ParkerN said:

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 6:19 AM, ParkerN said:

A population gets the government it deserves, ergo Thailand deserves Prayuth. Enjoy.

This is a ridiculous statement. The general Thai population did not ask for a "rigged" election outcome. This was supposed to be a "fair and square" election to replace a military government, who stole the country, with a democratically elected government.

Quote. With regard to the submarine crews, Luechai said they would be sent for a two-year training course. The commander didn’t explain further but said they would become a special force.End Quote.

A special force eh? So in two years time the minimum wage will be what? Plus 1 baht a day for The Special Force? I just hope for Somchai that the skipper doesn't get a plastic bag wrapped round the periscope lens.

36 minutes ago, Bigz said:

Unfortunately ours isn't shiny any more...it's gone rusty....on the inside! 

This is dated Dec '17. 

Britain's new aircraft carrier, HMS Queen Elizabeth, is leaking as a result of a faulty seal, it has emerged. The Royal Navy's £3.1 billion warship, which was accepted into the Royal Navy fleet by The Queen less than a month ago, has a "significant" defect.

On 1/15/2020 at 6:35 PM, Pungdo said:

What ever happened to the shiny new Chinese Built / Malaysian finished buses that landed in Laem Chabang that were meant to replace them , the right palms were obviously not greased sufficiently to get them through customs. ????

Some of the import tax was paid by the Thai importer, balance was challenged and all 480 (?) buses on the street in 2019.

On 1/15/2020 at 6:10 PM, snoop1130 said:

With regard to the submarine crews, Luechai said they would be sent for a two-year training course.

The Royal Thai Navy had plans to complete the construction of a submarine squadron headquarters and training centre in March 2014, despite not having any submarines in its fleet.

A submarine squadron was to be formed in April 2011 in anticipation of the government's green light to purchase four used German submarines worth 7 billion baht.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/submarine-base-nears-completion-royal-thai-navy-now-needs-a-fleet-42341.php

On 1/15/2020 at 6:10 PM, snoop1130 said:

they would become a special force

Obviously a very special force for almost eight years.

2 hours ago, neeray said:

This is a ridiculous statement. The general Thai population did not ask for a "rigged" election outcome. This was supposed to be a "fair and square" election to replace a military government, who stole the country, with a democratically elected government.

You might very well think so, I couldn't possibly comment. But whether or not the population voted for them, the population has certainly put up with them for way longer than their evident shelf life, so they're still responsible. Just like the corrupt army and the corrupt police force and the corrupt business. There's a very thin line between taking the responsibility by instigating and taking the responsibility by tolerating. Personally I'm not sure the difference isn't moot.

8 hours ago, Fred white said:

2 years to train a crew those boats will never leave port

that is the length of time necessary to train people to be able to hold their breath long enough to escape from a submerged sub at the bottom of the gulf.   

• Haha 1

It is probably more like the escape plan if it say all goes to hell give or take some years. 

Escaping a country in style in a sub and not through via a driver into Cambodia. 

Or if they really wanted to purchase more military equipment why not some Sea Harriers to truly compliment the aircraft carrier I wonder though if it would take 2 years to train the pilots.  I have only seen that aircraft carrier used once since I have been hear. The large severe storm down south 

On 1/16/2020 at 8:18 AM, Emdog said:

Clearly you have no experience as a submariner, which I was after serving in special forces in Afghanistan. Subs were crucial in our victory there.

You open the hatch to let the water out

And you were obviously trained as a rescue diver, like me, based on the Cartesian Diver system. As you will know this is used when the baking powder runs out.

147px--Tanzteufel_–_пляшущий_чертик.webm.jpg

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, overherebc said:

And you were obviously trained as a rescue diver, like me, based on the Cartesian Diver system. As you will know this is used when the baking powder runs out.

147px--Tanzteufel_–_пляшущий_чертик.webm.jpg

As an ex sailor I served on surface ships and trained to keep them on top of the water what's the deal with the baking powder

• Haha 1

On 1/16/2020 at 7:57 PM, JustAnotherHun said:

The Chinese, I suppose. Very disappointing, they did not buy the stone old submarines from Germany a couple of years before. So we had to dispose the waste ourself.

Next time our brown envelopes should be more impressive.

Yes a real shame .... I understood it was one of the subs that was used in 'Das Boot' ...

• Haha 1

On 1/15/2020 at 6:21 PM, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

I hope they come with a free recovery vessel,you just know

they are going to get the call from the bottom of the Gulf

of Thailand..."We are stuck"

They can call Elon Musk. Maybe his submarine is still here somewhere in Thailand