Bank/Type-O visa info.

I was unable to set up a bank account on my last trip. Each bank seemed to have a different reason for refusing. I am married to a beautiful Thai lady and want to get my Type-O visa. I need to get the account set up and the $400,000.00 Baht in it to apply. I do not have a work permit. I am confused about the process to get the Type-O visa as well. Can I go for an extended period without having the Type-O visa while I am waiting the banks  2 months?  How many times can you go out and come back in each year to extend your stay. Anything you can do to help will be greatly appreciated. I am from the USA. 
Thanks,
Joe

OP, the bank thing is a mind field. However you need shop around. Some banks will just say no.

I suggest you go to headquarters of any bank you wish to try.

It's a catch 22 some banks want to see non o stamp. Yet problem is to get non o you need bank account. 

Members post opening bank account with only tourist visa. 

You will find a bank, just keep try.

You do not need the 400k baht in the bank to get a single entry non-o visa at the embassy in Vientiane or the Consulate in Savannakhet.

You need 400k baht in the bank on the day you apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) based upon qualifying for an extension of stay based upon marriage at immigration.

After getting the 90 day entry from the visa you would need the 400k baht in a Thai bank to apply for a one year extension of stay.

If you need more time you can apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife at a immigration office.

Joe,

are you in the US at the moment?

If yes then go to you local Thai consulate right before your next trip and apply for the Non-Imm Category "O" 90 day visa based on marriage.

Cost - $80, same day processing, with no appointment necessary.

Edited by unheard

As the op asked... how do you setup a bank account to start with ... and for the 90 day visa does the money have to be in a thai bank or just proof that you have the funds elsewhere.

I can see setting up a Thai bank account taking more time than you have if they keep saying no.

I am looking at this process for the coming year and would like to know the best way to get a bank account..

11 hours ago, chimo said:

As the op asked... how do you setup a bank account to start with ... and for the 90 day visa does the money have to be in a thai bank or just proof that you have the funds elsewhere.

I can see setting up a Thai bank account taking more time than you have if they keep saying no.

I am looking at this process for the coming year and would like to know the best way to get a bank account..

Try opening the account in a branch where your wife has an account, so she can be a reference, as being an existing customer.

My most recent account opening was 2018, they would open an GBP FCD, but not a Thai Baht account  (had a 1 year ME Visa to show them). Took my 10 year old son as translation support... 

Edited by UKresonant