Drunks, speeders and grandads targeted in bid to reduce road accidents

webfact

4 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Well that's pretty much everyone lol

I'd bet if they actually did the research, they'd find that more accidents are caused by teenaged or 20-year-old drivers than elderly ones. But, that's just my guess....

• Like 1

When I was here first, over 33 years ago I had to go to Bangkok from Pattaya every other day, no highways only the Sukhumvit, saw a dead person every trip, normally motor bike users.

Things haven't changed much at all, still no helmets required unless you're a farang.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

“To reduce accidents during the Songkran festival and throughout the year, the action plan includes a campaign to encourage bikers to wear helmets and lists of drivers who are accident risks in every village and subdistrict,” Suwat said.

Discarding yourself on others because you are not able to enforce the Law yourself!

Random order ...

First thing to do:
Forcing the police to patrol secondary roads and in villages.

Second thing to do:
Force the hundreds of thousands of owners and / or drivers of vehicles of all types who have put a film, often as black as possible and stickers on the windshield to remove them so that the police can see who is in the vehicle. ( and incidentally, it will allow the driver to see the road and other users especially at night. )
(this is prohibited in Europe and liable to a very large fine)

Third thing to do:
Have a digital tachograph installed in all goods transport vehicles over 3.5 tonnes and in all passenger vehicles, regardless of tonnage.
And of course ask the police to verify what the tachograph has recorded.

(We are going to have some big surprises if this finally happens in this country)

Fourth thing to do,

Switch all the pickups that are running on overload; there are plethora ...

When you are driving a vehicle not intended to exceed 3.5 tonnes, you must have the corresponding driving license;
a pickup never has a total weight allowed in charge greater than 3.5 tonnes because it drives with a tourist license;

if this weight is exceeded, the required permit must be a heavyweight permit ...
And there, there are tons of 1,000 baht bills to put in your pocket (from the administration, of course!) ... if you are a conscientious policeman ..:cheesy:

In fact there are so many things to transform in this country, just as regards the road and its users, that it would in fact be necessary to reset everything in order to try to get back on track.

• Like 1

This goes against the general sway of opinion in the replies here, but, but I’m in Bangkok now (I don’t come to the LOS often), and I have truly been astounded by the number of drivers who have slowed down or even stopped (traffic permitting) to let me cross the road. That’s for real, people.

• Like 1

Oh my, this is weird.

Speeding and driving while impaired are both offences and contravene numerous TH laws.

However, being a grandad is just a result of aging and is not illegal (yet) in TH. As a grandad, this is so ridiculous to be equated to illegal a activities.

• Like 2

Police wont cut their money spending branch they sit on!

AND nothing will change as thais not deal with any regulations in a proper way. Also not scared about fines! They are much too low and don't hurt.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thian said:

Thailand has so many accidents because they have the most lousy lazy policeforce of the world.

It all comes down to proper training. The culture of police traffic management never changes here. There is no mobile traffic policing such as what we have in Western countries e.g. active road traffic police motorcycle or car patrols. Where to start, that's the problem.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, HOAX said:

Grandads slowing down even more? They already drive in walking speeds.

Because they have bad eyes, slow reaction, no driverslicense, far too large car, no hurry because it's nice in the aircon away from the grandkids.....and so on.

Yes get them of the roads please.

53 minutes ago, Blot said:

Yesterday, I saw a police officer in full uniform being given a lift on a motorbike by a civilian who was not wearing a helmet.  Is that ridiculous or what ?

Not at all...

Was given a ride back from pattaya courts by a police officer in the police car.

No seat belt. 

He said ok not need, we are police officers...

Says it all doesn't it?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PlastikbinLina said:

It all comes down to proper training. The culture of police traffic management never changes here. There is no mobile traffic policing such as what we have in Western countries e.g. active road traffic police motorcycle or car patrols. Where to start, that's the problem.

Correct. 

In Australia and the UK TOGs and Highway patrol officers are to be feared.

They are unforgiving in thier jobs..

They actually studied the law and its relationship to the job...

One banana 2 banana 3 banana 4 Lalalalala This is the banana splits song Anybody remember them on tv? lol Might as well sing this as for just reading this B/s on what the cops are going to do here the drunks etc.They will do nothing as usual and then then the Boss of the cops had this funny Saying "keeping an eye out for this type of behaviour from Thai drivers". Oh they will keep an eye out alright and then turn the head the other way. But hey they did keep an eye out and did nothing.

• Haha 1

For all the comments that we hear about the police not policing - and i agree. It is not the police which is the deterrent (or lack of) but the law which is an absolute disgrace. When you look at the law and the prescribed punishments (in brackets), the police have had their proverbial hands tied as they cannot prescribe a fine or punishment greater than what the law allows. BTW i would recommend all people to bookmark this link as it is quite useful when a policeman tries to shake you down for extra money. 

http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0140_5.pdf

• Thanks 1

Whilst driving up north a week or so back I was waiting at traffic lights that also had a police box. A motorcyclist from the left decided to jump the red light and then changed his mind, causing another motorcyclist, with the same intention, to swerve round him and come off his bike. A policeman ran down from the box, checked the guy and his bike were ok, helped him back on and sent him on his way. Why is there an obvious unwillingness to enforce laws here? Or is it somehow connected with the farce of ‘face’?

• Confused 1