Drunks, speeders and grandads targeted in bid to reduce road accidents

webfact

"We will coordinate with the relevant groups to hold a training course for village heads and subdistrict chiefs on instilling road discipline among citizens"

To me, this is the most sensible thing I have ever heard, when it comes to reducing road deaths.

Thai people don't care about the Law, Rules or Regulations, but if they can spread the message of what this kind of carnage does to their friends & family, and what it would be like for each individuals wives, children or elderly parents, to have to live without them in their lives, if they made themselves a victim of a totally preventable, fatal accident. Should be regular town / village meetings with some kind of incentive for the locals to attend, and ,make sure to include gruesome pictures, and sad survivor stories, in the program, it may start to make a real difference on peoples attitudes on driving.

As a seventy year old with 50 years driving experience without accidents. I am a considerate driver well aware of where danger comes from. I try extremely hard to avoid dangerous drivers mainly young and especially on motorbikes all with absolutely no road sense often driving decrepit vehicles without any thought of other road users. Age doesn't make a driver more dangerous, ignorance and lack of consideration do!

• Like 2

The 'average' Thai biker is retarded.  I would drive almost every day from Sattahip to Pattaya, on average there would be a police road block somewhere on that stretch (North or South bound, often both) 80% of the time.  They appeared to consistently have two targets: Obvious Farangs (the whitey big-nosed variety) on bikes to shake down for not having a license and/or helmet. Thais with no helmets/license/hammered/4 to a bike/going the wrong way/driving like a see you next Tuesday.

Whilst the whitey big-noses could be forgiven for their holiday attitude (we all know laws don't apply to tourists the world over anyway) it beggars belief that the locals continue to blindly throw themselves in to road-blocks they surely know will be there. 

Thought process - 90% chance of road-block, minor risk, should be fine. 50% chance of accident and getting dead, no risk at all. 

12 hours ago, Yadon Toploy said:

New Zealand is nothing like Thailand on the roads.

In fact it is like the polar opposite.

To repeat with the added...born and raised in NZ and having driven the roads there for 40+ years, and with 20 years living & driving in Thailand (all corners in both), plus having driven extensively in the UK, Europe, Australia & North America (coast to coast several times) I find there are "TOO MANY AGGRESSIVE DRIVERS in both countries...ie NZ & Thailand. My own opinion, not a

fact

but you're most welcome to your own opinion which needless to say you'll be extremely well qualified on.

14 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Interesting that older drivers being targetted, I wonder what theThai stats show about accidents and older drivers.

Western stats show less accidents per capita on over 55 year old drivers until age 75.

Yes, especially as we are constantly being told that 80 percent of road deaths are young motorcyclists.

On 1/16/2020 at 3:34 AM, webfact said:

People need to be more fully aware of the law, Suwat said, and that can be achieved through stricter enforcement,

Gee, whatever can be done to improve traffic enforcement?  Let's see, we can either crack down on bribery or have seminars in villages and pull over old people.  Let's go with blaming poor people, that's always a winner.  

• 2 weeks later...

...Old Drivers who are NEW drivers I think, like they just got the money to buy a car. ...  Old drivers that have been driving since they were 15 and are still alive, and going are probably the best drivers on the roads ! ? 

... My Wife hit a tree and broke out door off pretty early on in the piece, and then could not pass the driving test d/t ther bad eye sight.

Where as in Australia my 88 year old mother is still driving, and still pretty well OK at it. Though she does have to concentrate on it. ... Slower traffic over there, so a lot less fast decisions needed. ....