Two questions regarding extention based on retirement

9 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Just out of curiosity, where is a medical certificate officially required for a 1 year extension based on retirement? 

It was only brought in here in Kan only about 4 years ago. But if I had done the visa in the UK they give (or used to) you a list of things to get a certificate from your g.p.

7 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

question is WHAT KIND of medical certificate? that certify that you are fit for retirement?

that one is fit to watch T.V. 6 hours a day?

OR that you are in perfect condition to live among such a healthy country as thailand is?

or is it just a certification that you are from the same gender you were born with, so you

won't steal jobs from the local ladyboy work force?

it is getting worse and worse. can easily spend one week of traveling back and fourth

to immigration offices with no result. 

Go to a hospital or local clinic and tell them you need a medical certificate for your visa application. They should know what you are asking for. 

I needed a medical certificate for a Thai drivers license. I, of course, didn’t know what that involved but I went to a local clinic. They gave me a cursory medical exam and signed a certificate.

AND one last pazzle: the requirements list states that all documents regarding the bank letters must be

prepared and signed by the bank ON THE SAME DAY OF THE APPLICATION...( Documents under 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3

must be issued and updated to be the same date of the Application )...HOW on earth is that possible?

Some time ago my bank changed the policy on bank statements, they had to be ordered at least 24 hours in advance. When I mentioned the immigration requirement regarding the date they said the covering letter would be dated for the day of collection.

No problem at immigration even though the printouts had the previous day's date.

On 1/16/2020 at 10:13 PM, Martyp said:

Go to a hospital or local clinic and tell them you need a medical certificate for your visa application. They should know what you are asking for. 

I needed a medical certificate for a Thai drivers license. I, of course, didn’t know what that involved but I went to a local clinic. They gave me a cursory medical exam and signed a certificate.

thanks, but the real problem is that i never hears about this requirement, and i am affraid that

when i aventually i will get to the immigration office with all the neccasary documents, they will still ask me for this letter and that certificate...as i allready happaned to me once !!!

20 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

thanks, but the real problem is that i never hears about this requirement, and i am affraid that

when i aventually i will get to the immigration office with all the neccasary documents, they will still ask me for this letter and that certificate...as i allready happaned to me once !!!

Unless you are in Samui or applying at a couple of other rogue immigration office you will not need a medical certificate.

• Thanks 1

My CW TM7 DOCLIST: 

Chaeng Watthana, ext stay/ret income end Sep 2019, successful ext of stay

TM7 form + photo 2 sided
Passport copies all pages, Non—Imm B OLD and NEW: transfer of stamps 
Old Passport Copies  I got a new passport since my previous ext
New Passport copies

Update bankbook day of with B/F - then copy, basement level BBL branch
Bank letter (Account Ownership) day of/day before OK – ACTIVITY, account, name, amount
Bank letter+ Credit Advice/Receipt(s) : Qualifying Foreign Transfers: FTT/CARs: Twelve (12) months, Nine (9) (Jan-Sep) OK for this first year, bank letter ~ 6 days old OK
Bank book copies old and current book, showing all QFTs
Original bankbooks retained, reviewed and returned with passport
Excel sheet – FTT details and summary retained
SSA, Annuities, 1099s, letters, tax return: back-up proving "income", not asked for, not offered
Lease: signed by landlord, witnessed, no tax stamps. I maintain a 3 yr lease, term runs longer than the applied for ext stay (+1 year)
Blue book copy signed by landlord
Thai ID card for landlord – landlord signed
TM30 filing 5 July 2019 (TM30 paper backup – landlord signed)
Photo_ House, number and name, with me in the picture
Hand-drawn map to residence
TM6 copy
Previous 90-day report (June, O/L) returned 
1,900 baht

all other paperwork is provided by the pre-screen intern, and/or initial IO.

For those copies which I forgot to sign previously, I was asked to sign them.

On 1/22/2020 at 9:22 PM, ubonjoe said:

Unless you are in Samui or applying at a couple of other rogue immigration office you will not need a medical certificate.

thanks, that's really helpfull, because i think i just got the corona virus...or wait a minute...was it just the beer?

anyway, i really thank your helpfull answers here. all is ready for my second attempt to ask for the non-O visa, but i would like to use the opportunity to ask yet another question: is it allowed to leave thailand 

during the 90 days wait on non-O visa, before applying for the retirement visa?

which means, if for example i get the non-O visa, and a month later leaves thailand for two weeks, than

come back and apply for the retirement visa - is that OK with the IO's?

7 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

if for example i get the non-O visa, and a month later leaves thailand for two weeks, than

come back and apply for the retirement visa - is that OK with the IO's?

You would need to get a single re-entry permit to keep the remainder of the 90 day entry valid when you enter the country using it.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2020 at 11:48 AM, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

what if i rent a condo for long term - as i did before - but the landlord do not

want to give me his ID card?

You need only a copy of his ID card signed by him. Otherwise, how do you know who you are renting from? Every rental contract I had in Thailand came with a copy of the owner's ID card signed by him. However, to prove who owns the unit (condo), some owners may be reluctant to give you the copy of the blue book signed by him. Of ocourse, you can verify the owner with the Juristic Person but some IOs won't take it. 

My soultion to all beaurouratic problem in Thailand is using an agent. buying/selling car, getting drivers license without residence certificate, getting extension without any unnecessary paper work, just go to agent's office sign the form and go to immigration to get your picutre taken. Some agents will also throw in 90-day reporting as a freebie. So you don't have to go to the immigration at all except once a yeaar to take your picture and go staright to the dek. No need for getting a queue number waiting for your turn. 

Knowing that Thailand is a corrupt country, these agents are godsend for staying in Thailand without any hassle, provided on has the ability to pay them and want to pay them.  That leaves me to do only one thing - make money.

On 1/28/2020 at 5:03 AM, Vascoda said:

You need only a copy of his ID card signed by him. Otherwise, how do you know who you are renting from? Every rental contract I had in Thailand came with a copy of the owner's ID card signed by him. However, to prove who owns the unit (condo), some owners may be reluctant to give you the copy of the blue book signed by him. Of ocourse, you can verify the owner with the Juristic Person but some IOs won't take it. 

My soultion to all beaurouratic problem in Thailand is using an agent. buying/selling car, getting drivers license without residence certificate, getting extension without any unnecessary paper work, just go to agent's office sign the form and go to immigration to get your picutre taken. Some agents will also throw in 90-day reporting as a freebie. So you don't have to go to the immigration at all except once a yeaar to take your picture and go staright to the dek. No need for getting a queue number waiting for your turn. 

Knowing that Thailand is a corrupt country, these agents are godsend for staying in Thailand without any hassle, provided on has the ability to pay them and want to pay them.  That leaves me to do only one thing - make money.

can you reccomend a good agent in bangkok area that can help with extention on retirement (non-O visa and later the one year extention) multy entry?

On 1/16/2020 at 3:22 PM, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

when you say 90 day i guess you mean the non -0 visa. than i read the requirements you menioned and again i find new pazzles, for example, what is "medical certificate"?

never heard on that one.

and what the hell is "rental aggreement with landlord i.d. photocopy"?

my "land lord" - the owner of the condominium building - looks so nervous and scary that

the last thing i can imagine is to ask him for his i.d. photocopy. he could not care less

if i will stay or leave his property. so what than?

my fear is that i will have to travel back and thourth to the immigration office, with all new requirements and documents that i can't provide, and aventualy will not get any extention

and will stuck with 800k BAHT  in the thai bank.

what a nightmare !!

Your getting yourself into a state before anything has happened. Just follow the list and don't forget the bank letter and passport update as well. Most of it is a state of mind, settle down and just work through the requirements. It's not that hard.

Just now, JWRC said:

Your getting yourself into a state before anything has happened. Just follow the list and don't forget the bank letter and passport update as well. Most of it is a state of mind, settle down and just work through the requirements. It's not that hard.

SETTLE DOWN? i have been trying to get this retiremtn extention for 4 years now, and every time 

there is another story.

for example, first time i tried, i went to the immigration office and asked what is needed.

they told me 800K in the thai bank. so i brougth in some cash, because i allready had some money

in a thai bank, than came to the immigration office with all documents, than they tell me : "no, you need also to prove the money comes from overseas..."""??????!!!??

I have never been asked to prove the 800,00 came from overseas, but then each office is different. you may need to transfer out and then bring in again to comply.  I understand it's frustrating and when we get older it's hard to keep up with changes, but it CAN BE DONE

5 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

SETTLE DOWN? i have been trying to get this retiremtn extention for 4 years now, and every time 

there is another story.

for example, first time i tried, i went to the immigration office and asked what is needed.

they told me 800K in the thai bank. so i brougth in some cash, because i allready had some money

in a thai bank, than came to the immigration office with all documents, than they tell me : "no, you need also to prove the money comes from overseas..."""??????!!!??

Apparently you dd not have a non-o visa required to apply for the extension of stay so you needed to first apply for 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry before you could apply. The visa application requires proof the 800k baht came from abroad by way of a transfer of the funds into a Thai bank account.

You could of applied for the non-o visa at a nearby embassy or consulate that would not require proof it came from abroad.

On 1/17/2020 at 12:51 AM, tgeezer said:

Over the years the procedure of issuing Non-Immigrant O visas to people in the country seems to have become the routine.  Why Immigration has allowed this to happen is a matter for speculation but it can and should be more difficult than obtaining a visa from an embassy in one’s own country. I can understand Immigration Officers looking skeptically at anyone trying to do this.  Came for a visit and decided to stay for retirement, not very convincing is it? 

Not necessarily.

When your application for an extension of stay is turned down e.g. because you dipped below the required financial requirements or want to change your Visa category e.g. from OA to O, you often have no choice but to start 'afresh'.  To do that you have to exit Thailand.

Once you exited there are 3 options to apply for the Non Imm O Visa (applying in your home-country, applying in a neighboring country or applying at your local IO).

Since the requirements are different depending on where you apply, it's perfectly logical that applicants choose an option that suits them best.

I do not see any reason for Immigration to make it 'more difficult' when applying elsewhere than in your home-country.  But there are indeed some rogue IOs that prefer you applying at a thai embassy/consulate abroad to avoid the associated paper-work it causes them. 

10 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

can you reccomend a good agent in bangkok area that can help with extention on retirement (non-O visa and later the one year extention) multy entry?

There is really no need to hire an agent to apply for a 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa, followed subsequently by applying for a 1-year extension of stay based on the Non Imm O - retirement Visa.

The process is surprisingly simple, and many TVF members have succesfully done it.

Re your multi-entry remark > When you get the 1-year extension of stay, and want to leave/re-enter Thailand more than once, you can buy a Multi-Entry Re-Entry Permit which keeps your permission to stay 'alive' when exiting/re-entering Thailand.  Such a ME Re-Entry Permit costs 3.800 THB and can be bought at any IO (it's most convenient to buy it the moment you get your passport with the 1-year extension of stay stamp).

I PM-ed you a comprehensive roadmap to convert to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa addressing all options/practicalities.

To access your PM-messages, click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You could of applied for the non-o visa at a nearby embassy or consulate that would not require proof it came from abroad.

but a thai embassy in a nearby country will require some "letter from embassy (applicant's home country embassy)" that states that the applicant is indeed retired, or whatever, and since most embassies don't issue such letters, it might, again, waste the applicant's time and resources.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

There is really no need to hire an agent to apply for a 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa

there is REALLY A need to hire agent for any kind of visa extention in thailand (besides 30 extention of VOA), because the laws are not acctually laws, and are being imposed / changed according to the IO mood, taste and hair style.

had i known about the LEGAL option of a visa agent, i would use it from the beginning and save to myself a lot of time and money. yes, money, because than i would not have to trasfer into thailand 800K baht...i could keep the amount in an interest bring account that could earn much more than the agent's fee.

indeed those agents are a spit in the face of the rule of law and anyone who tries hard to obey the law, but since thailand is not "rule of law" country but rule of "agents" and "special fees and costs" country, than why not to use the agent (as long as the agent does things legally, thai style)?

• Sad 3

9 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

The process is surprisingly simple

the process does sound simple, indeed, but when done it is not so simple.

for example in my case, i asked the IO in hua hin how to do it, and she told me "just have 800K baht in the bank and come with ...".

and so i did. but when i came again with the documents, the IO told me, with a pathetic smile: "no, the 800K must be sent from abroad". 

so why did'nt the IO say so from the begining ????

AND SO IT CAN GO ON AND ON - BRING THIS DOCUMENT AND THAT and how about the rntal aggreemnt, and oh, you have the rental aggreement but where is the owner I.D.? 

AND than ok, you came with the rental aggrement and the owner I.D., but where is the owner

signature on the rental aggreement? and not 3 weeks have passed and you are late

on the application time and need to leave thailand and start all over again.

• Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

but a thai embassy in a nearby country will require some "letter from embassy (applicant's home country embassy)" that states that the applicant is indeed retired, or whatever, and since most embassies don't issue such letters, it might, again, waste the applicant's time and resources.

You seem to not of read some recent discussions about the Savannakhet consulate accepting proof from a pension provider being accepted. No need for anything from an embassy.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

there is REALLY A need to hire agent for any kind of visa extention in thailand (besides 30 extention of VOA), because the laws are not acctually laws, and are being imposed / changed according to the IO mood, taste and hair style.

had i known about the LEGAL option of a visa agent, i would use it from the beginning and save to myself a lot of time and money. yes, money, because than i would not have to trasfer into thailand 800K baht...i could keep the amount in an interest bring account that could earn much more than the agent's fee.

indeed those agents are a spit in the face of the rule of law and anyone who tries hard to obey the law, but since thailand is not "rule of law" country but rule of "agents" and "special fees and costs" country, than why not to use the agent (as long as the agent does things legally, thai style)?

Obviously it's your own choice to use an agent when you do not want to deal with your local IO.

But many TVF members are doing it themselves without any agent-help.  It does indeed require a bit of research to ensure that you covered all requirements, and the TV Forum is a valuable source of info on that matter.

Each to his own but I would NEVER use an agent to dodge the 800K requirement.  It is blatantly obvious that that road can never be fully legal, and hence could bring about quite some trouble when uncovered.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

It is blatantly obvious that that road can never be fully legal, and hence could bring about quite some trouble when uncovered.

You are not giving bad advice of course, but as to being 'uncovered', well it is hardly the best kept secret in town.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2020 at 4:56 PM, Anotify said:

Visa agents is your best bet.. No headaches, bring  your wallet .

sure seems like that...as long as they are legal..i know few people who use only agents for their retirement visa...for years...but they are in chiang mai.

does any one knows a good agent in bangkok area?

yes, im not extending my O retirement based visa this year and will be significantly cutting back on my visits to thailand, for all the reasons the OP mentioned plus others. its just too much hassle now and too absurdly complicated. 

CW told me last time that next time the bank documents will have to be dated the same day as the extension application. as the OP said, this may be impossible. in my case my bank does not have a CW branch so it will be hard to comply with, maybe actually impossible. but without doubt a new layer of stress and frustration for no logical justification.

and yes, then there is the need for a TM30 receipt which I am anticipating will not be given as I stay in serviced apartments (4 or 5 star so I spend far more than the average person) and will not have and do not want a long term contract. the OPs comment about needing a contract as proof of residence is exactly what i am also expecting and i do not intend to waste time at CW when the IO will very likely refuse based on this. my reasons are not mere paranoia but based on my experience last year.

there are other reasons, these are just the straws that have broken this particular camels back. and these are just the existing issues, i would not be surprised at new ones, that is after all what the trend is suggesting.

never mind though, the money i wont be spending in thailand can easily be be made up for by a hundred or so coach loads of screeching, belching, defecting and spitting chinese or indian tourists.

23 hours ago, uncleeagle said:

yes, im not extending my O retirement based visa this year and will be significantly cutting back on my visits to thailand, for all the reasons the OP mentioned plus others. its just too much hassle now and too absurdly complicated. 

CW told me last time that next time the bank documents will have to be dated the same day as the extension application. as the OP said, this may be impossible. in my case my bank does not have a CW branch so it will be hard to comply with, maybe actually impossible. but without doubt a new layer of stress and frustration for no logical justification.

and yes, then there is the need for a TM30 receipt which I am anticipating will not be given as I stay in serviced apartments (4 or 5 star so I spend far more than the average person) and will not have and do not want a long term contract. the OPs comment about needing a contract as proof of residence is exactly what i am also expecting and i do not intend to waste time at CW when the IO will very likely refuse based on this. my reasons are not mere paranoia but based on my experience last year.

there are other reasons, these are just the straws that have broken this particular camels back. and these are just the existing issues, i would not be surprised at new ones, that is after all what the trend is suggesting.

never mind though, the money i wont be spending in thailand can easily be be made up for by a hundred or so coach loads of screeching, belching, defecting and spitting chinese or indian tourists.

unfortunately i am talking from experience, after the IO refused my visa extention the first time,

because "need show money came from outside". 

the same IO oficer asked me, in that same time, when i asked for the retirement extention :

"how old are you?"...he looked at me like he can't believe that i am over 50, and maybe

next time they will ask for a birth certificate...

so now i am planning to apply again, but just to be sure i was checking here

on this helpful board, and discovered even more and more and more

documents and papers that i must bring...and some say that i need and some say no need...which makes me fear again than the IO will find a reason to refuse my extention...

while all this time a friend of mine, who does not even have 800K IN a thai bank account

or in any other account,  is using an agent for years and gets

his retirement extention, year after year...

what an absurd !!