What is the quietest and most upscale place to live within 10 klicks of CMU?

JohnBarleycorn

I do not mind the air pollution, but when you add on rising seas to the noise from Prasert Land, then it becomes too much.

Much of our world will be devastated by sea level rise, very soon.

And, so, I just ask for a bit of peace and quiet before the water inundates us.

Please refer to this NYT article, for example:  https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/10/29/climate/coastal-cities-underwater.html

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Yes.  However, I am also afraid that If I do not find the right place, even though I might escape Prasert Land, then I might end up in a place where there are workers who raise chickens and roosters.  The roosters are even worse than Prasert Land.  The roosters here do not know how to tell time, and they crow almost constantly.

There MUST be a quiet place near here.  It is just a matter of how much you are willing to pay.  RIght?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I really do not understand it.

I stayed in Oneplus condo a few years, just two streets from Soi 6 / Prasert  land and I never heard it at night. Noise stopped at 10 p.m. or so and with some white noise from the aircon and could not hear it.

I am saying this as a noise sensitive person.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

Yes.  However, I am also afraid that If I do not find the right place, even though I might escape Prasert Land, then I might end up in a place where there are workers who raise chickens and roosters.  The roosters are even worse than Prasert Land.  The roosters here do not know how to tell time, and they crow almost constantly.

There MUST be a quiet place near here.  It is just a matter of how much you are willing to pay.  RIght?

Short of mounting 24-hour surveillance for a week or so on a prospective property, no.

I've got used to the roosters and geckos in my GF's village.

Just rent a condo for a month, and move on if it turns out to be unsuitable.

I needed to escape the noise at my previous house also. Now I rent a place in Lannaville off the middle ring road near Meechok Plaza and its great. This is a very upscale moo bahn. Some of the nicest houses I have seen in Chiang Mai (I am talking more than 20M Bht. nice). I can hear a little traffic noise from the ring road but no booming music at all ever. Great location too.

• Like 1

I'm in Nong Han. Between the neighbour on the left with his pack of 5 dogs howling and the neighbour on the right with his powertools going every day for hours and the fantastically loud loudspeakers with 6.50 am wake up announcements I'd say this is probably not the place for peace and quiet.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Logosone said:

I'm in Nong Han. Between the neighbour on the left with his pack of 5 dogs howling and the neighbour on the right with his powertools going every day for hours and the fantastically loud loudspeakers with 6.50 am wake up announcements I'd say this is probably not the place for peace and quiet.

Why do you stay?

3 hours ago, Logosone said:

I live in Nong Han, San Sai too. 
The birds (feathered variety) causes a real racket every morning. I’m thinking of getting a shotgun and blast them all to smithereens. The few cows in the field opposite my house fortunately don’t moo or I will bbq them on my grill. Th leaves rustle in the wind so I cut the trees down. Now, just trying to figure out how to stop my gf from listening to her morlam music ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I live in Nong Han, San Sai too. 
The birds (feathered variety) causes a real racket every morning. I’m thinking of getting a shotgun and blast them all to smithereens. The few cows in the field opposite my house fortunately don’t moo or I will bbq them on my grill. Th leaves rustle in the wind so I cut the trees down. Now, just trying to figure out how to stop my gf from listening to her morlam music ????

Bluetooth wireless earphones, she gets what she wants , you get peace and quiet, win win...????

But then if YOU got them, you could leave her, the trees and wildlife in peace...????

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Bluetooth wireless earphones, she gets what she wants , you get peace and quiet, win win...????

But then if YOU got them, you could leave her, the trees and wildlife in peace...????

Earphones alone won’t do. But the Bose noise cancelling headphones cost an arm and two legs. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, lexilis said:

I needed to escape the noise at my previous house also. Now I rent a place in Lannaville off the middle ring road near Meechok Plaza and its great. This is a very upscale moo bahn. Some of the nicest houses I have seen in Chiang Mai (I am talking more than 20M Bht. nice). I can hear a little traffic noise from the ring road but no booming music at all ever. Great location too.

What’s the approximate monthly rental for a 20M property? 30-40k baht?

6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Why do you stay?

Well, it's a magnificent luxury house. I like being 21 minutes from Central Festival and Sala Cafe, Makro is 14 minutes. But it's mostly the space, the pool, visual privacy, the luxury furnishings and high ceilings, modern bathrooms, electric gate and luxury mattress and bed.

I get up anyway at 6.30, so ten minutes of annoucing who donated to the Buddhist temple at max volume is not fatal. I have had fantasies of offing the dogs one by one though. And the power tool neighbour.

2 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

What’s the approximate monthly rental for a 20M property? 30-40k baht?

This moo bahn (Lannaville) seems to have very few houses for rent, though I don't check around to see. It's mostly upscale Thai families, some of which are quite wealthy. It has a small section of ten townhouse condos (owned by Thais). I lease one of them. I pay 19k/mon. and I like it a lot. Just across the little sub-soi from me is a compound with a very nice modern design house (15-18 ft. ceiling and a six car garage with several Mercedes and a custom imported Ford Mustang of all things) that probably cost well north of 20M. There are a number of houses like this around. If they were rented I am sure it would be for something north of 80-90K. There are a number of less ostentatious houses in the neighborhood that might rent for 30-40K. And there are a few dilapidated run-down places that might be had for 20K or less. I don't know.    

• Like 1

On 1/16/2020 at 7:57 AM, cerox said:

I really do not understand it.

I stayed in Oneplus condo a few years, just two streets from Soi 6 / Prasert  land and I never heard it at night. Noise stopped at 10 p.m. or so and with some white noise from the aircon and could not hear it.

I am saying this as a noise sensitive person.

Right, don't hear the local bar noise on the 19th floor but do on the 32nd. Trees, houses, walls deflecting ? 

OP, best of luck: Thailand is noisy all over everywhere and back.

Edited by IAMHERE
spelling

On 1/16/2020 at 5:01 AM, JohnBarleycorn said:

people who like to eat food on green tables.

There are several condo projects west of 121 and up against the mtns... I would guess it is pretty quiet out there though I am not sure if these people like green tables or not.. 

Try the Land and House moobaans in Mai Hia. 

The name of the subdivision is Serene Lake and has three moobaans; Chang Doi, Siwalee Lake View and Natawan, plus multiple condos. There is a new moobaan under construction also but not yet finished. 

Houses and condos for rent there.

It meets all of your requirements and it is one of the nicest developments in all of CM. 

Edited by NaamGin

An older and very well-kept develoopment is the Ban Nai Fun village off the Canal Road in Mae Hia / Hang Dong.  Then you just take the Canal road to CMU.

Or, as been mentioned, Serene Lake.  It's pretty nice, and big enough that it shouldn't get noise from anywhere else if you're reasonably close in the middle.   You might hear airplane noise though in one of their condominiums. 

CQ1pmlsRqzS8sc5ms5ArISc0ZuotvvN1G_tRz9s_AccH0Mwyn_nxrKh1_nOPm-6VT552BHos4Q1kfSNW9bC6mSkinwd6H0-5AF1hF9T0fZ8zud2W-bcL2OXRMTrZnQBXK8v_n2ZWpyRvnvyLkz16YrSA7TsmXGlAfZCeWtNytGlgMMYiA5-N_-OmjsAJkXdR9RUN9qXDCWZKB9EgmO0m4zhSK5Yg6cTXsYnxpUiZ3idcO0T_ljwwLOmBjPApQ44tBIIsHIB5kjGQByY0l4EGmSKhrCUtxDdJ9Ki2ggAsvt60lV8E28ZzHuvx-pPnhyiEGt885OUJJou7gCAY4AFuepBEvyUNWD80YyI8ehFuI9_uLfJJVzwiuSx4S3wkb9aYBuwpyKwNXd31ffg_yqf6axugiZmo4jx-wfFTY8OSO6bjPAjJ7wiRxOMs0om_sYaOKuOgDYHZJBMtJwCu1LoPiB4IlLiY4HyExThV3vYA8a_Gj4slmOZ1ZjpKQ8xCM6G3w9G9WSYzEjgOEch1vfEMcDC5F2TEQx-riyvIBKSYdVBem-wWPR-kbYMKDKF_pZgB6EC-JdwX62S9ctKFQJiQQ68qO8C-l9VcUiWTz2fCar7EqctEPdNeExdU81tISTA2Ep5k--cMiqYfQGEFEOLIAlLY4kOrBZ9l2MKB8Rhm51DbOaYJuKTpavQGO6Gj3IuUNynq-Epq60V1zCCU2IbmCawniGFDibwnI9-iT-SPNOhIHjQD=w1004-h667-no

• Like 1

I don't see how you will avoid noise. On my soi there are 3 homes 20-25 million Baht and 2 homes behind us at least 25 mil, but we still have chickens walking down the soi making a racket at 5:30-6:00 each morning. Whenever there are expensive homes around, there are always caretakers living on the grounds, who typically work construction during the day and they usually raise chickens. Besides that, there is a village on the other side complete with loudspeaker system addressed by the poo yai baan each day at 6:30, the house-warming parties, weddings, funerals........ It seems it is difficult to escape the noise.

Edited by elektrified

18 hours ago, lexilis said:

This moo bahn (Lannaville) seems to have very few houses for rent, though I don't check around to see. It's mostly upscale Thai families, some of which are quite wealthy. It has a small section of ten townhouse condos (owned by Thais). I lease one of them. I pay 19k/mon. and I like it a lot. Just across the little sub-soi from me is a compound with a very nice modern design house (15-18 ft. ceiling and a six car garage with several Mercedes and a custom imported Ford Mustang of all things) that probably cost well north of 20M. There are a number of houses like this around. If they were rented I am sure it would be for something north of 80-90K. There are a number of less ostentatious houses in the neighborhood that might rent for 30-40K. And there are a few dilapidated run-down places that might be had for 20K or less. I don't know.    

That's a nice moobaan. A friend owns a home in there. The sois were badly in need of repair for years (I'm talking potholes that would do serious damage or even injury if you drove in one), but it seems they were repaired. But it's not all quiet in there as there are also caretakers living on the grounds and they raise chickens, etc.