NE School Holidays days off drastically different BKK?

DJ54

Are school days in NE drastically different than other parts of Thailand. Looking at the calendar provided by TV (Thank you very much appreciated). There is one holiday in January New Years. The children up here have 3 days off this week and had multiple days off around New Years, it could be contributor as to the lower education level....

• Sad 1

In the same town, Sawang Daen Din, I noticed that some schools were on vacation while others were not;
or that the secondary students were on vacation while the primary students were not .. or a mixture of the two.
When I ask my wife when her son's children (primary school) will be in advance, she doesn't know; she does not know the dates;
it seems to me to change every year ..
Impossible to foresee in the long term the purchase of a plane ticket;
however, this is how we manage to find flights at a few tens of baht on Air Asia.

Why make it simple when you can make it complicated ?

And I forgot the "teacher day" vacation days which fall by chance :cheesy: on a Friday or a Monday so that these have three days "off" to follow ... Thank you BritManToo :jap:

Anyway when we see the very little that they learn (by heart, in addition) and time passes on the football field, we can without any problem take our kids with us to go visit the country;
they will not lose anything in exchange and it will even certainly be beneficial for them

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

When I ask my wife when her son's children (primary school) will be in advance, she doesn't know; she does not know the dates

My missus says the same in Nakhon Phanom. I tell her to go and ask in the school office but they dont seem to know either! No school year calendar on the wall or provided for parents! The kids usually have to ask the their teacher a few weeks before the end of term to get the exact date.

• Like 2

It's Teacher's Day today.

How many days off or lost to activities imo has little bearing on the quality of the education. It's the teachers, resources and the organizational structure of the school.

Your teachers just did not end up there. They were placed and chose acvord6to how well they did on their govt exam.

Best schools in Thailand probably have the most time off actually.

Kids are not more intelligent because they sit in a classroom for an extra ten days. Especially here lol.

I think think many schools, teachers, admin in NE just lazy. Certainly not all. Few good schools in Issarn and in NE. A few!

Not surprised prathom and mathayom calendars differ. Even in same school. Various reasons exams, national exams, activities. Time to support agricultural needs.

Every school will have its own calendar. I'd expect the district to possibly be the same but not necessarily the province. Nor would it mirror Bangkok.

Edited by Number 6
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Number 6 said:

How many days off or lost to activities imo has little bearing on the quality of the education. It's the teachers, resources and the organizational structure of the school.

Indeed, I would add that the school "syllabus" should also be questioned, primary focus appears to be more aimed at indoctrination rather than education.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

Yes, teacher's day is traditionally on a Thursday that is named after Jupiter in the Thai language - this is connected with education. 

Rooster

Are you not confusing Teachers Appreciation day which is held on fhe first Thursday commencing new term in June.

Teachers Day is January 16th regardless of day it falls on

37 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

Are you not confusing Teachers Appreciation day which is held on fhe first Thursday commencing new term in June.

Teachers Day is January 16th regardless of day it falls on

Maybe I am. I organized teachers (appreciation) day in February at my international school and held it annually on a day of the week that suited me and the school. I couldn't give a monkey's about jupiter.

Rooster ????

13 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

Maybe I am. I organized teachers (appreciation) day in February at my international school and held it annually on a day of the week that suited me and the school. I couldn't give a monkey's about jupiter.

Rooster ????

Appreciation day is traditionally held on a thursday due to the Vedic god of Wisdom and Teachers , Brihaspati

19 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

Rooster ????

Does that mean you organised it around Uranus?

• Haha 2

On 1/16/2020 at 12:20 PM, Jane Dough said:

Yes, teacher's day is traditionally on a Thursday that is named after Jupiter in the Thai language - this is connected with education. 

Rooster

That is not teachers day. That is "wai kru" day. Most schools will have some activities lasting a couple of hours, maybe up to lunchtime.

Teachers' day is always 16th January and is always a school holiday.

If 16th January is a Saturday or Sunday, there is not a substitute day on the Monday.

Edited by puchooay
  • Like 1