Fake visas and work permits: Visa officer and associate at top Bangkok school arrested

webfact

4 minutes ago, moe666 said:

I think you guys missed the story, they were forging the documentation for their proof of eligibility. Police checks, medical checks and what ever else they needed. I guess you guys missed the part were the embassy reported forged documentation. The school should have been on top of this, no one at the school complain?

Channel 7 showed the visa officer being arrested at Chaeng Wattana. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, thequietman said:

So .... those of you who have gone through 'agents' - is your stamp real and proper?

Won't you be a little worried when a real immigration officer has a look through your passport?

Is it worth the risk?

They have now arrested an officer at CW - how deep will this go? and if your extension/visa was processed by the same guy, then there may be a knock on your door. ????

Good luck to you all.

one good thing in thailand is that they blame the immigration officer and not the tourist / foreigner. i know of similar stories in other countries where the tourist got into jail and paid huge fines, just because he had fake stamps in his passport, even if he was;nt aware to that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thequietman said:

So .... those of you who have gone through 'agents' - is your stamp real and proper?

Won't you be a little worried when a real immigration officer has a look through your passport?

Is it worth the risk?

They have now arrested an officer at CW - how deep will this go? and if your extension/visa was processed by the same guy, then there may be a knock on your door. ????

Good luck to you all.

I would think the only people need worry are those with a one year B visa. I'd also venture to say that it allows the person to work in a language school quasi legally. It's a mountain of paperwork, I'd have charged 30k minimum as well. Costs, split between two people.

50k for the privilege of staying in Thailand. What a laugh. Hope they are running a gogo and laundering money bc that makes zero sense to me living in this pollution.

- I might know the school.

Edited by Number 6
  • Like 1

Looks to me like she was hanging around at CW getting customers and the other person was forging the documentation or just the school part of it.

I have never experienced such but others have posted that they have been approached by visa agents. A tourist visa extender identifiably from certain subcontinents might be they type of person approached.

Edited by mokwit

13 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Looks to me like she was hanging around at CW getting customers and the other person was forging the documentation or just the school part of it.

Possible but that's not what I'd taken away from the story. If this is the case I may further know the school.

49 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

one good thing in thailand is that they blame the immigration officer and not the tourist / foreigner. i know of similar stories in other countries where the tourist got into jail and paid huge fines, just because he had fake stamps in his passport, even if he was;nt aware to that.

This was sarcasm right?

• Haha 2

Just now, Number 6 said:

Possible but that's not what I'd taken away from the story. If this is the case I may further know the school.

What's your take - they are using confusing terminolgy - officer and visa agent. I got the impression this person was not formally attached to CW.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mokwit said:

What's your take - they are using confusing terminolgy - officer and visa agent. I got the impression this person was not formally attached to CW.

The story begins

Yaya was using HER school...

They also discuss her as working at the school to facilitate visas.

Appears she was brought to CW to review evidence and then charged.

Who is the visa officer and who is the associate? Seems Yaya is facilitating and Ton just doing the paperwork for money. Both may be complicit in supplying stamps. No clue there.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I think a lot of private schools have a staff person or persons whose specific job is to assist their foreign staff members, and foreign students as well, with managing their visas/work permits and the associated paperwork.

At a school where my wife used to work, the school had a staff member who'd make weekly trips to BKK CW and used a van to take along employees and students as needed. The staff member would serve as a kind of liaison between the students/employees and the Thai Immigration staff.

Absolutely, I mentioned this in my first post. Also possible that an international school more trusting and less savvy to this nonsense.

I'd forgotten to mention and you've done so absolutely the liason is there perhaps even more as service to students and parents.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Channel 7 showed the visa officer being arrested at Chaeng Wattana. 

Ok they meant charged, rather that a Ch7 news team was in place to record someone being apprehended (as in arrested) at CW.

So two employees responsible for visa documentation and processing at a school decided to go freelance and extend this service to people not employed at the school, and doing so requiring forging of/unauthorised documents.

• Like 1