Fake visas and work permits: Visa officer and associate at top Bangkok school arrested

webfact

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

No. At international schools many have a Thai on hand to facilitate all the issues for the foreign teachers. It's combined hand holding and services. They also might provide pre arrival information and help facilitate visas back in home  countries. At typical Thai public or private school they definitely have someone playing a similar role but not as helpful, guiding. It's basically, here's a list of what I need. Many schools just send the foreign teachers off alone to get their extensions. Many teachers are totally clueless as to what keeps them here, especially the ones at big international schools. 

It's also possible this is not an international school but a top Thai school. The liaison is just a lovely translation for the admin and or teachers that facilitate the visas and extensions for teachers.

The schools need them in the classrooms teaching, not fussing about with immigration issues. Many at international schools make 100k upwards 175k?

Wasn’t a top private school for sure. If it was genuinely a ‘top’ school, immigration comes to then...

2 hours ago, moe666 said:

I think you guys missed the story, they were forging the documentation for their proof of eligibility. Police checks, medical checks and what ever else they needed. I guess you guys missed the part were the embassy reported forged documentation. The school should have been on top of this, no one at the school complain?

" None of the foreigners with the fake documentation at the consulate in Savannakhet were found to have anything to do with the school :. From the OP.

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

" None of the foreigners with the fake documentation at the consulate in Savannakhet were found to have anything to do with the school :. From the OP.

Interpreted that as them having letter/documentation from the school but the school saying none of the people the arrested prepared docs for/sought visas for were employees or potential employees of the school.

Edited by mokwit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The two people arrested were admin staff at a private school. What they were doing is clearly a lucrative sideline for money as the school was not involved in any way. They were preparing false documents used by those applying for visas in Laos. 

In my experience all reputable international schools have these visa liaison officers to handle matters of visas for staff. Whether this was a Thai school or an international one I don't know though I suspect the former. 

All my feelers are out to track down the school where they worked. However, should anyone have reliable information that may be of use they are welcome to PM me. 

Rooster

• Like 1

nothing out of the ordinary here.

the school agents/officers either provided false documentation or pretend bank accounts - just like the other "legitimate" agents - to secure visas/extensions to those who don't qualify.  the stamps in the passports are legit, obtained at the local immigration office.  it's just the supporting documentation that is questionable.

the difference here?........the two ladies at the school got greedy.  they weren't sharing their ill-gotten booty with the IO'

#brownenvelopesmatter

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Nothing illegal at all. Visa agents "persuade" the senior IO wo waive the need for proof of income, which he is allowed to do in "special circumstances", which is open to inerpretation by the IO.

The punter recieves a perfectly lgitimate stamp in his passport and has told no lies and provided no false documentation to obtain. Nothing illegal from the punter's POV.

The illegality comes with the graft between the agent and the IO. Difficult to prove, and as it involves a senior IO, no one is likely to try.

Man stop dreaming, that's blatant corruption and absolutely ILLEGAL. 

Not knowing about it doesn't protect you, that's not how law works.

And don't act like you don't know, no one is buying that. Nor will the immigration cops, they aren't stupid either.

In what kind of fantasy world are u guys even living... 

This guys friend also thaught he's clever: https://www.thethailandlife.com/illegal-thai-visa

In reality only the ones who don't open themselves up to beeing blackmailed are clever.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

one good thing in thailand is that they blame the immigration officer and not the tourist / foreigner. i know of similar stories in other countries where the tourist got into jail and paid huge fines, just because he had fake stamps in his passport, even if he was;nt aware to that.

But the tourist/foreigner would likely be on overstay officially, would he not, meaning that he would be liable to a sojourn in the IDC pending deportation back to his home country.

3 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

But how dumb is it to pay between 20,000 and 50,000 baht when a little patience and understanding you can do by yourself

Fool and his money etc etc…

Not if you can't meet the criteria, ie insufficient funds or income. Enter the agents.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A friend he passed away a few yrs ago got a Visa every year not from where he lived.he paid  x amount to whoever.it was fine and worked.never a problem.i,am sure many are doing similar  still.she is one that got caught.they will lots of checks to make it go away,but I think  you never stop  this in thailand

21 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Your link is about fake visa runs, nothing to do with my post. Apples and oranges. I don't live in a fantasy world, you do. I only deal in facts.

You don't meet the requirements, someone gets BRIBED - your visa is illegal and can get revoked at any time, and you deported. 

Brainiacs.... how can you even think difference, mindblowing - only in thailand.

As the guy quotes on point:

And let me tell you, it won't be the guy taking your money who will go to jail, it will be the “stupid farang” that gets the blame, and possibly extorted for money like my friend did.

2 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

You don't meet the requirements, someone gets BRIBED - your visa is illegal and can get revoked at any time, and you deported. 

Brainiacs.... how can you even think difference, mindblowing - only in thailand.

As the guy quotes on point:

Wrong, so wrong. You clearly don't understand the process that I outlined. Your extension of stay is perfectly legal in the circumstances I quoted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some posts in which the quoted content had been quoted to change the context have been removed:

16) You will not make changes to quoted material from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. This cannot be done in such a manner that it alters the context of the original post.

2 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Nothing illegal at all. Visa agents "persuade" the senior IO wo waive the need for proof of income, which he is allowed to do in "special circumstances", which is open to inerpretation by the IO.

The punter recieves a perfectly lgitimate stamp in his passport and has told no lies and provided no false documentation to obtain. Nothing illegal from the punter's POV.

The illegality comes with the graft between the agent and the IO. Difficult to prove, and as it involves a senior IO, no one is likely to try.

As for the punter:

Thailand Penal Code (1956) (English reference translation)

Section 144 Whoever, giving, offering or agreeing to give the property or any other benefit to the official, member of State Legislative Assembly, member of Provincial Assembly or member of Municipal Assembly so as to induce such person to do or not to do any act, or to delay the doing of any act contrary to one's own duty, shall be imprisoned not out of five years or fined not out of ten thousand Baht, or both.

• Like 1

Just now, SkyFax said:

As for the punter:

Thailand Penal Code (1956) (English reference translation)

Section 144 Whoever, giving, offering or agreeing to give the property or any other benefit to the official, member of State Legislative Assembly, member of Provincial Assembly or member of Municipal Assembly so as to induce such person to do or not to do any act, or to delay the doing of any act contrary to one's own duty, shall be imprisoned not out of five years or fined not out of ten thousand Baht, or both.

Which would be the visa agent.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Not the first time or the last that locals are taking advantage of foreigners and dubbing them with fake this and that, foreigners in this country are fair game and crimes against them doesn't seems to carry the same severity as crimes against Thais, be interesting to see what punishment will be matted to those two crooks...

Moved to an inactive post cleaning the toilets at the Prime Ministers Office.  Has to be the toilets as every inch of space elsewhere is already taken up !

4 hours ago, moe666 said:

I think you guys missed the story, they were forging the documentation for their proof of eligibility. Police checks, medical checks and what ever else they needed. I guess you guys missed the part were the embassy reported forged documentation. The school should have been on top of this, no one at the school complain?

Nobody complains when they are in on the scam and getting a percentage !