Lopburi mall shooting: Police target 10 key locations, amid fears suspect has already fled the country

webfact

Hunt for callous gold shop robber: Ten places and three suspects on radar

3pm.jpg

Police remained tight lipped in the search for the robber of a gold shop in Lopburi last week when three people were shot dead. 

Lopburi police chief Pol Maj-Gen Natthaphon Sukrasorn indicated that there were ten places of interest in the search and three people were on the list of suspects. 

He stressed that the public should not doubt the work of the investigation but said there was a need to keep details under wraps at this time. 

Police were monitoring social media for leads, he said.

National chief Pol Gen Chakthip Chaijinda has put Pol Gen Chaiwat Ketworachai in overall charge so there is no conflict of interest between different police departments, said the media. 

Military camps have provided full cooperation in the search, they added. 

The case has caused much concern in Thailand not least of all because of the extreme violence used in a public place and the death of a two year old boy shot by the robber. 

The incident happened at the Aurora gold shop at Robinson's on January 9th around 8.40 pm. The robber made off on a motorcycle after stealing gold worth just over 500,000 baht.

He killed three people and injured four using an unusual gun with silencer in a callous crime that has shocked Thailand. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-01-16
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Lopburi gold heist suspect might have fled the country: police chief

By THE NATION

800_a3661ac547f74b1.jpg?v=1579138786

The suspect in the Lopburi gold heist case, who also allegedly killed three people on January 9, might have fled the country, National Police chief Pol General Chakthip Chaijinda said on Wednesday (January 15).

The police chief blamed media coverage of investigations for alerting the suspect. Speaking after a meeting with the investigating team in Lopburi province, Chakthip said he believed the suspect might have fled the country by crossing the border.

“This is because of the media’s reporting, which might have tipped the suspect off that we were getting close to identifying him,” he said. “I would like to ask the press to use discretion in reporting progress in a case so that it does not jeopardise the investigation.”

_G0P8972%20copy.jpg

Chakthip added that he would consider disciplinary action against police officers who had revealed classified information regarding the case investigation and the names of interrogated suspects to the press.

The National Police chief admitted that the investigation had faced some obstacles and also pressure from society. “I believe police could work faster and better if we withhold information from the press until we have solid evidence,” he added “Online media is the biggest obstacle, as most of the time they tend to guide readers towards a certain direction instead of staying neutral.”

As for progress in investigations in the case, on Wednesday the police summoned for questioning the owners of 13 guns of the same model allegedly used by the gunman, but found that none of the 13 guns were the one used by the suspect.

_G0P8979%20copy.jpg

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30380625

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-01-16
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

As for progress in investigations in the case, on Wednesday the police summoned for questioning the owners of 13 guns of the same model allegedly used by the gunman, but found that none of the 13 guns were the one used by the suspect.

Sounds as if it is a military weapon as I suspected.

• Sad 2

" Progress of gold robber in Lopburi police area target Found a hut in a hidden spot, rarely passing Near each other there are wells and tunnels. Found a lot of survival equipment"

sorry for link in thai but can be useful to understand where the monster was hiding !

https://hilight.kapook.com/view/198773

Edited by thooktong
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Yadon Toploy said:

Sounds as if it is a military weapon as I suspected.

Do the military buy their own weapons as well as the police?

If it was a military weapon why would they have 13 individuals report with their personal weapons for checks instead of checking the armouries of the various camps in the area and check the inventory?

Even if (and this is highly doubtful) weapons were signed out as personal weapons, the armouries are still responsible for them.

Edited by chrisinth
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Katipo said:

They know who the suspect is. If, as has been reported, he is part of a well connected family, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if he disappears without his (or his family's) name ever being mentioned. I hope I am proved wrong.

Also, it seems if they really wanted to catch him, they would reveal the name and photo of a 'person of interest', as happens in many countries, and then use the public's help to find him.

Yes quite right. Wasn't it not so long ago that the police wanted Thai's report naughty foreigners (or something like that)? I mean, if this killer didn't know someone was gong to be after him the moment he killed people then he must be a malfunctioning robot.

• Like 1

"Military camps have provided full cooperation in the search, they added"

So the gunman is from the army. And the Army is the boss of the police under this Thai military dictatorship democracy system - the Army is above the law.

When the Army is above the law it makes a problem for the police and for the country. 

Edited by Ketyo
  • Like 1

Did you know that police knew the murderer 3 days ago but kept quite and he fled the country. Because he is a relative to politicians I've heard.

I don't know how much it's true , I can't say. I've heard Thai people talking.

Thai relatives to the people who get killed. Ask them , they know.

So sad about this little boy. It must be very difficult for his poor mother. 

Police has to bring this man back to Thailand again.

Wow.  Maybe the lamest excuse I've ever heard in some time.  Haven't caught him because of the media.  Pathetic in the extreme!   But, nicely done introducing the idea the murderer has fled the country--now when he isn't found, well... he's likely left the country!  Sorry, folks, nothing we can do now.  He's gone!  We tried but we all know once a murderer has left the country, game over.  Just file the paperwork in the Red Bull killer's drawer.  

• Like 1

Pathetic; if they have a name they can get a picture and then go public on TV as done so in other countries. Leaving Thailand with all that biometric carp on fingerprints, photos and god-only-knows-what = impossible. 
Unless, of course, there is a "friend" at the immigration post; still then a passport number etc. is available. 

Blaming social media ...................  Once those uncrowned kings of all those offices start realizing, that mistakes happen and they admit them - but yeah, stop dreaming! 

• Like 1