Pattaya: It's all positive again as hotel chief bigs up "very lively" resort with 90% New Year occupancy

webfact

It's all getting very difficult isn't it? The target keeps moving. ????

TAT says...but the hoteliers say....

The hoteliers say.....but Pattaya Watchdog (whodat?) says....

Difficult as in how do we keep dripping contempt on the tourism figures when unexpected good news is announced from the least expected sources?

Did we ever find out what/who Pattaya Watchdog is, apart from a Facebook site?

2 minutes ago, champers said:

I think people are spread out over a far greater area; 3rd Road and even beyond, Na Jomtien and Bang Saray, Wongamat; rather than just the Beach Road and 2nd Road areas.

Had a fair amount of tourists staying on the Darkside over Christmas/New Year.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

And in the 2nd photo, none of the tourists were moving, probably mannequins. 555

Perhaps Photoshop? There are for instance no angry and aggressive Thais on the beach who want to rent out their chairs. Only tourists are using the beach. It looks so unreal. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

Funny how the writer plays to the peanut gallery. No "evidence" is needed or requested when there's a negative report, only for a positive. And what evidence would acceptable anyway? ????

My point exactly sir.

Negative is unquestionably true, positive is highly suspicious. Eventually, we'll reach the bottom of the trench and then what? Amusing.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

they had to engage in aggressive "digital marketing" to snatch tech savvy customers on their smart phones

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Hoteliers needed to realise the power of online marketing in order to compete

Yes, it´s all about the marketing, not about the quality of the beaches, water, sidewalks, transportation... ????

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Beaches and transport are very good in Pattaya. Clearly, you've never been. It's all about the baht, nothing else.

I have been there a couple of times. The beach at the Beach Road is very good? Well, you have never been at a good beach. The transport around the city is good with the Baht buses - but try to go at night time to Jomtien with it or find a meter using taxi. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

I have been there a couple of times. The beach at the Beach Road is very good? Well, you have never been at a good beach. The transport around the city is good with the Baht buses - but try to go at night time to Jomtien with it or find a meter using taxi. 

Yes, massive improvements to the beach over the last year. I use taxis regularly, just agree a price for the journey before setting off. Never a problem. Can also use Grab if you are useless at haggling.

• Like 2

A year ago I decided at the last minute a New Years trip to Samui might be fun. I looked online and to my surprise I not only found alot of rooms available, but at prices lower than I have ever seen them in peak season. So we went. The New Year festival was a bit of a letdown compared to years gone by, as the hotels have been forced to cut back drastically on their budgets, due to dramatically declining occupancy. 

But the point is, the locals saw value and figured why not? Only by being competitive with the region will Thailand be able to keep its tourism industry alive. 

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

It has been busy the last couple of weeks but that's not enough for many businesses to survive

Out last night. Crowded on Walking St but GGB very few customers on WS, Busier down Soi 15

I flew home (to Thailand) from an overseas project, for Christmas/New Years.  Arrived on the 24th, flew myself and the wife out for a vacation on the 25th (Europe/Dubai).  Yes, the hotel chief grand puba is correct: online access to vacations and interesting destinations is quick and easy.  Easy to comparereview....and pull the trigger.

8 Thai arrival/departures were me and the wife in a 2 week period. 

Money spent on Thai hotels: zip

Money spent on Thai Airlines: nada

Money spent on Thai restaurants: zero

Money spent on Thai shopping spree: nope

My wife was shocked at how well she was taken care of, on the foreign carrier we used and how polite people were throughout our adventure.

Edited by CanuckThai
penmanship

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Sanpetch Suphabuansathien said that occupancy was 90% with Thais in particular making snap decisions at the last moment that Pattaya - a world class tourist destination if ever there was one -  was the place to be

Bullshit meter.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1