Pattaya: It's all positive again as hotel chief bigs up "very lively" resort with 90% New Year occupancy

webfact

Every time I come into swampy,I have had to stand behind at least five people waiting to get a sim card(AIS True etc all the same).I use the same flight,so I arrive at the same time every time.Last time I arrived,walked straight up no waiting.I think as I passed the three suppliers there must have been a maximum of three customers in total.Make of that what you will

44 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Yes, just full of Chinese not buying anything

Yes of course they don't.

They don't eat, and those Chinese tour buses are all empty, just driving around to annoy all the expats, never go to King Power in their hordes and come out laden. just sit in their rooms all day. Never buy condos for cash. Cah!

Those crazy Chinese.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Traubert said:

Yes of course they don't.

They don't eat, and those Chinese tour buses are all empty, just driving around to annoy all the expats, never go to King Power in their hordes and come out laden. just sit in their rooms all day. Never buy condos for cash. Cah!

Those crazy Chinese.

I've seen them at the airport.

The only thing they are laden with is dried fruit and dried seaweed. 

• Haha 1

<deleted>.

I did my daily walking around the condo today and about 60% have unpaid Bill's and accounts hanging out of the letterbox. 

Not to mention chained up deserted bikes in the car parks. 

Nirun condo is not everything to everyone. 

But did have 7000 people staying here. 

Not any more. 

And monthly rates are at 5000 in high season. 

• Haha 1

On 1/16/2020 at 7:39 PM, Leaver said:

I've seen them at the airport.

The only thing they are laden with is dried fruit and dried seaweed. 

Ah you were on SinaWeibo.

The lao wei who picked everybody's packages up, opened them and made note of what was in them.

They have their own dried fruit on every corner and they much prefer S Korean seaweed. Thai branded seaweed is available in every supermarket in China.

You know, you're going to have to face it in the end. They come in volumes, they spend a lot of money and it's going to keep happening. Trust me, you'll feel a lot better when you reconcile yourself to the idea. Denial is not healthy. ????

7 minutes ago, Traubert said:

You know, you're going to have to face it in the end. They come in volumes, they spend a lot of money and it's going to keep happening.

Yes, they come in volumes, but spend very little money, and the Chinese market can dry up at a moments notice, just like the Phuket boat sinking tragedy.  Not to mention, a lot of the profits from Chinese package holiday makers going back to China.

I see them repacking when the check in staff tell them one suitcase is overweight, so they split the weight up between their partner, touring party, or carry on.  

It's a common sight.  I am sure many others have seen it.

"Trust me" a tourism market based around the Chinese market is fraught with danger.  Thailand will have to find out the hard way. 

On 1/16/2020 at 2:02 AM, DannyCarlton said:

Yes, massive improvements to the beach over the last year. I use taxis regularly, just agree a price for the journey before setting off. Never a problem. Can also use Grab if you are useless at haggling.

Well, the walkways have been fixed up a bit, yes.  Nicer to look at.  But, most people's (including mine) definition of a good beach start with nice clean water in which to have a swim.   I have been staying in Pattaya or Jomtien for most of the past 5 years.  So, where is the nice water to swim in?

41 minutes ago, Tom F said:

Well, the walkways have been fixed up a bit, yes.  Nicer to look at.  But, most people's (including mine) definition of a good beach start with nice clean water in which to have a swim.   I have been staying in Pattaya or Jomtien for most of the past 5 years.  So, where is the nice water to swim in?

Far side of Koh Larn.

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

True, but you wouldn't be getting on a boat full of Chinese that's headed for Koh Larn at the moment.

The majority of Chinese are dumped on Tawaen Beach where they are herded into a large Chinese owned restaurant. A couple of beach activities, banana boat and parasailing then back on the boat. My go to beach is Tien Beach, only a minority of Chinese, arrive on a speedboat, a couple of hours wandering around aimlessly and then off they go. Really don't cause much of a disturbance.

lol perhaps tell that to one of the biggest group of hotels in Pattaya with 8 in total who are so desperate for clients rooms in Soi 8 are less than 500 Baht now and only around 650 for the best ones.

Times are savage but at least this chain know 650 Baht is better than a big fat zero

On 1/26/2020 at 4:18 PM, DannyCarlton said:

The majority of Chinese are dumped on Tawaen Beach where they are herded into a large Chinese owned restaurant. A couple of beach activities, banana boat and parasailing then back on the boat. My go to beach is Tien Beach, only a minority of Chinese, arrive on a speedboat, a couple of hours wandering around aimlessly and then off they go. Really don't cause much of a disturbance.

I was talking more about the transport to the island, not about being on a beach on the island.

Now would not be a good time to be traveling with Chinese tourist, due to the virus. 

On 1/26/2020 at 10:51 PM, Chivas said:

lol perhaps tell that to one of the biggest group of hotels in Pattaya with 8 in total who are so desperate for clients rooms in Soi 8 are less than 500 Baht now and only around 650 for the best ones.

Times are savage but at least this chain know 650 Baht is better than a big fat zero

Like I have said before, it's a race to the bottom here now, but some may call it a "market correction."  ????

Edited by Leaver