Liverpool For Champions League Glory Again !

scousemouse

An almost impossible task......................Liverpool must win by two clear goals. Only two teams have done that in the last four years. One of them was Liverpool admittedly, but that was when we had no defense to speak of.

Not quite. 1-0 to Liverpool takes it to penalties. But they will have to play considerably better than they did last night. In the first half they didn't turn up and their ball retention was woeful. I think that's the worst Liverpool performance i've seen against Chelsea since Benitez took over (worse than the 4-1 at Anfield). It could easily have been 2 or 3 - 0 with no complaints, and for large spells Liverpool looked clueless. Not a good time to put in a display like that.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear oh dear :o . Benitez , the master tactician in europe got it wrong last night and played right into chelski's hands, bellamy and kuyt up front ?? , no crouch from the start even though he's our top scorer with 18 but none have been scored as a sub and zenden playing ???? .I do admit that us coming away with just a 1-0 defeat was a bonus , we played like nervous schoolboys at times and our performance in the second leg needs to be totally diffrent.

The last time we turned over a first leg defeat was 16 years ago in the uefa cup. We came back from 2-0 against auxerre to win the tie 3-2 in a game my Dad took me to and will always live long in the memory. Really hope tuesday is a repeat of that night.

Come on the reds !!!!!!!!! :D:D .

chelsea 1-0 hopefully liverpool can equalise in the 2nd half

Yeeeeeeeaaaaahhhhh thats 1 foot in the final!! :D I really can't see us losing now, I admit its going to be a very tough game next week,

especially with the great atmosphere at Anfield, but if we score up there they will need 3 and when do Chelsea concede that many goals in such important games? :o

I'm just wondering if any chelski (or football supporter ) is getting sick and tired of mourinho's post match interviews ???. Last night all he could talk about was a "penalty" they should have had. Guess what special one , the game has finished so why dont you talk about your own team and players. Why not talk about how good Joe Cole was or how your confident of your teams progress ?????.

Yeeeeeeeaaaaahhhhh thats 1 foot in the final!! :D I really can't see us losing now, I admit its going to be a very tough game next week,

especially with the great atmosphere at Anfield, but if we score up there they will need 3 and when do Chelsea concede that many goals in such important games? :o

I'm just wondering if any chelski (or football supporter ) is getting sick and tired of mourinho's post match interviews ???. Last night all he could talk about was a "penalty" they should have had. Guess what special one , the game has finished so why dont you talk about your own team and players. Why not talk about how good Joe Cole was or how your confident of your teams progress ?????.

The reason he does that is to distract the attention away from the players, we didn't play well so instead of the players being under pressure from the media he puts his own neck out and takes the criticism away so they can get on with the next match and play carefree as Shed End would say! haha :D

The reason he does that is to distract the attention away from the players, we didn't play well so instead of the players being under pressure from the media he puts his own neck out and takes the criticism away so they can get on with the next match and play carefree as Shed End would say! haha :D

Just look at Fergatwat, saying that Mohrino is an idiot for stirring up , at the same time saying exactly the same thing himself.

Yeeeeeeeaaaaahhhhh thats 1 foot in the final!! :bah: I really can't see us losing now, I admit its going to be a very tough game next week,

The reason he does that is to distract the attention away from the players, we didn't play well so instead of the players being under pressure from the media he puts his own neck out and takes the criticism away so they can get on with the next match and play carefree as Shed End would say! haha :o

And mourinho has told you this :D:D . How can his players not have played well when his team has just won a champions league semi final (FIRST LEG !!), what happened to all that matters is the result. As for taking the pressure off his players he piles it on even more , look at the way chelski have just blown their title hopes.

Do you think if you had gone into the match with your manager talking about how good you are and what a great team you've got instead of how many players your missing , how many "penalties" you've not had , how many games your playing and how many players Liverpool are resting it would have been a diffrent result ????.

At the end of the day , I think chelsea are a great team ( from a Liverpool fan by the way!! ) and I would rather you lot won the league than "them" your manager does not need to make excuses for his players ( do you think John Terry would appreciate excuses ?? ).

It's just a shame the mancs have wrapped it up and you'll all be reved up for Liverpool on tuesday , what would happen if we win :D:D:bah:

It's just a shame the mancs have wrapped it up and you'll all be reved up for Liverpool on tuesday , what would happen if we win :o:D:D

All it takes is a loss against Man City, and us to win at Arsenal, and the ball is in our court again.

And of course, don't forget the last time West Ham got relegated. They did the double over Chelsea to stop OUR title bid.

It's just a shame the mancs have wrapped it up and you'll all be reved up for Liverpool on tuesday , what would happen if we win :o:D:D

All it takes is a loss against Man City, and us to win at Arsenal, and the ball is in our court again.

And of course, don't forget the last time West Ham got relegated. They did the double over Chelsea to stop OUR title bid.

maybe you should buy a lotto ticket 'farangconnection' , 'cause that is your only chance of winning :D:D:bah:

perfect weekend :o:D . Mourinho blowing the title , carvalho out injured ( hope you play essien centre back ) , a phil neville own goal ( no conspiracy there eh, jose ), all our players rested and you lot have to come to Anfield !!!!!!!!!.

Bring it on !!!!!! :D:D:D .

getting excited :D ( or nervous :o ) now !!!!

o.gifdot_629.gif Liverpool v Chelsea _42859127_liv_che_0506.gif Champions League semi-final, 2nd leg

Date: Tuesday, 1 May

Kick-off: 1945 BST

First leg: 0-1

Venue: Anfield

Listen: BBC Radio Five Live

Updates: BBC Sport website and mobile

Liverpool full-back Steve Finnan is set to return as the Reds look to overhaul a 1-0 first-leg deficit in their Champions League semi-final at Anfield.

Striker Peter Crouch could also be in line for a starting place.

Chelsea striker Andriy Shevchenko has joined Ricardo Carvalho and Michael Ballack on the injured list but fit-again Arjen Robben is in the squad. Midfielder Michael Essien returns for the Blues, but he could be drafted into central defence in place of Carvalh

video_text.gifNews conference: Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez

Khalid Boulahrouz is another defensive option, while further forward midfielder Ballack has had an ankle operation which will rule him out for at least 10 days.

o.gif

Didier Drogba and Joe Cole, who scored the only goal in the first leg, will miss a potential final in Athens if they receive a yellow card.

The same fate awaits Javier Mascherano or Jermaine Pennant should they earn a booking.

Mascherano was one of seven players who sat out Liverpool's 2-1 defeat at Portsmouth on Saturday along with Jose Reina, Daniel Agger, Jamie Carragher, Steven Gerrard, Dirk Kuyt and John Arne Riise. They all look certain to start on Tuesday

a bit more on tonights game , come on the Reds :D:o:D .

dot_629.gif

Liverpool (from): Reina, Finnan, Arbeloa, Carragher, Hyypia, Agger, Riise, Gerrard, Alonso, Sissoko, Pennant, Zenden, Bellamy, Kuyt, Mascherano, Crouch, Dudek, Gonzalez.

Chelsea (from): Cech, A Cole, Makelele, Terry, Essien, Ferreira, Boulahrouz, Robben, Lampard, J Cole, Drogba, Mikel, Geremi, Bridge, Wright-Phillips, Diarra, Kalou, Cudicini.

BIG MATCH STATS

Definitions of terms used:-

Champions League (CL) - only group phase matches and beyond of this competition which began in 1992-93.

Champions Cup/Champions League - all matches played since it began in 1955-56 including qualification matches.

European matches - all matches played in the major European tournaments (Fairs Cup, Uefa Cup, Cup Winners' Cup, Champions Cup, Champions League).

Uefa Super Cups, Intertoto Cups and the old Intercontinental Cup competition are excluded.

Head-to-heads

Liverpool and Chelsea have played each other five times in European history, all in the Champions League. In the 2004-05 season, the Reds knocked out the Londoners at the semi-finals (0-0, 1-0) and in the 2005-06 season, both teams met in the group stage, drawing 0-0 twice. <A class=bodl href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/6582695.stm">Chelsea 1-0 Liverpool - Champions League semi-final first leg Match Report

Both teams have therefore only scored once in the previous five meetings. Liverpool's goal, which was scored by Luis Garcia was heavily contested as it appeared not to have crossed the line.

European history

Liverpool have won the Champions Cup/Champions League five times with the most recent coming in 2004-05 when they won the Champions League for the first time, beating AC Milan on penalties. Their previous successes came in 1977, 1978, 1981 and 1984. They have also won three Uefa Cups and three Uefa Super Cups. This season is Liverpool's fifth in the Champions League and their 34th in European competition.

Chelsea's biggest success in European competition is winning the Cup Winners' Cup twice. They won the trophy in 1971 and 1998. They also won the European Super Cup in 1998. This is Chelsea's fifth CL participation. Their best result is reaching the semi-finals, which they have now managed on three occasions (2003-04, 2004-05 and 2006-07).

Current European form

Chelsea are unbeaten in their last six CL matches, winning the last two. Their most recent defeat was 1-0 at Werder Bremen on 22 November 2006.

Liverpool have won all but one of their CL home fixtures this season. FC Barcelona won 0-1 at Anfield in the second round.

Player and disciplinary info

Javier Mascherano, Jermaine Pennant (both Liverpool), Arjen Robben, Michael Ballack, Joe Cole, Didier Drogba, Lassana Diarra (all Chelsea) will be suspended for the final if booked.

Jamie Carragher is the most experienced player in the Liverpool squad. He's set to make his 90th appearance in Europe, breaking Ian Callaghan's club record. Luis Garcia has scored 10 CL goals, more than any other player in the Liverpool squad. Xabi Alonso is the only Liverpool player who has appeared in all 11 CL matches this season.

Andriy Shevchenko is the most seasoned Chelsea player with 89 CL appearances. He's also the most prolific goalscorer in Chelsea's squad with 46 career CL goals. Didier Drogba is the only Blues player that has appeared in all 11 CL matches this season. With six goals, both Peter Crouch and Drogba are ranked joint second on the CL top scorers list this season, three behind AC Milan's Kaka.

Other miscellaneous facts

Liverpool are hoping to record their 150th European Cup match.

Big Match Stats source: Infostrada Sports

o.gifo.gif

o.gif

o.gif

o.gif

o.gif

prediction time then lads :o

Liverpool 2-0 Chelsea ( after extra time )

A.C Milan 1-1 Man Utd

So it looks like its going to be 2 nights of great european action ahead of us.

COME ON LIVERPOOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LIVERPOOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D .

A.C Milan 1-1 Man Utd

COME ON LIVERPOOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LIVERPOOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D .

Who gives a flying **** !!! But just for the record. I really hope that you beat Chelsington and wipe the smugness off Lumpolard's face.

I'll go (hope) for the same score as you after extra time.

A.C Milan 1-1 Man Utd

It wont be a great night for the scousers I'm afraid, we are going to turn you over in your own backyards, we will beat you 1-0 again and Milan will beat the Manc's! :D

A.C Milan 1-1 Man Utd

Who gives a flying **** !!! But just for the record. I really hope that you beat Chelsington and wipe the smugness off Lumpolard's face.

I'll go (hope) for the same score as you after extra time.

Sounds like sour grapes to me! just because there is a MASSIVE chance you will be relegated this season try not to be too down beat, there is always a chance you could come straight back up but going by the way you have played this season I very much doubt it! :D

Its gonna be a tough one but I think the mighty Reds are gonna win 2-0, Crouch with both goals.

Hahaha I can't see that happening myself! I agree it will be a tough game, very edgy to begin with then hopefully we will show our strengths and come out on top!

COME ON THE BLUES!!!

[quoe]tSounds like sour grapes to me! just because there is a MASSIVE chance you will be relegated this season try not to be too down beat, there is always a chance you could come straight back up but going by the way you have played this season I very much doubt it! :o

Someone hasn't been watching a resurgent West Ham of the past few months then. But anyway, there's no sour grapes (except that fat Frank can't keep his flabby gob shut.) And anyway, at least Liverpool have something akin to real supporters, and not a plastic bunch of Sloanes who need to be given flags in a vain attempt to produce an atmosphere.

:D

Blacklabel , the game is on channel 3 at 1:45 and espn coverage starts at 1:00.

Hammer , no sour grapes eh..... :D:D , but thanks anyway for the vote of confidece :D:D .

Seapok , speak to you in a couple of hours , hopefully with the right result .... :o .

"we all want a team of jamie carragers , jamie caraghers , jamie caraghers (repeat!!!) :o:D .

longdots.gifBC806207-943E-4055-D2B99521CC1B852F.jpgclear.gifRafa is best in the world

JAMIE CARRAGHER believes Liverpool head into tonight’s (Tuesday) Champions League semi-final decider holding a trump card – the best manager in the world. more greydot.gifgrey_arrow.gif'I want to savour moment of cup glory once again'grey_arrow.gifI wish I were on the Kop tonight, says Gillettgrey_arrow.gifThanks for doing my team talk, Josegrey_arrow.gifMourinho: Kop should be giving me the applausegrey_arrow.gifAlonso knows what fans will be feelinggrey_arrow.gifClick here for more Reds news

Blacklabel , the game is on channel 3 at 1:45 and espn coverage starts at 1:00.

Hammer , no sour grapes eh..... :D:D , but thanks anyway for the vote of confidece :D:D .

Seapok , speak to you in a couple of hours , hopefully with the right result .... :o .

roger tat LIV 1-0 hope will score again

An almost impossible task......................Liverpool must win by two clear goals. Only two teams have done that in the last four years. One of them was Liverpool admittedly, but that was when we had no defense to speak of.

Not quite. 1-0 to Liverpool takes it to penalties.

It would seem that i was correct. Well done Liverpool, always going to be favourites in the penalty shoot out at home.

YOU BEAUTY !!!!!!!!!!! :o:D:D .

Thought for about 0.001 seconds that this forum was done with , but then the Reds triumph once more !!!!!!!.

There is justice for once in football , Kuyt's goal which was given offside was clearly onside , but then the penalties were fairly exciting ( lost my voice again ).

All thats left to say for the moment is BRING ON THE MANCS !!! , and I'll go back to one of my first post's on this thread and say chelsea have not got the european pedigree to compete with Liverpool in the champions league , but I'm sure they will in a few years to come.

The 12th man won it for us again , the chelsea players did not look at all confident stepping up to take their pens and that was all down to the fans.

End result :

Chelsea 1-0 Liverpool

Liverpool 1-0 Chelsea

Anfield 4-1 Chelsea (penalty shootout)

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS :D:D:bah:

Yeah, good result and very pleased to see that other lot fail. Well that's half of my prediction for the final. The other half was Liverpool vs AC Milan and Milan to win. I hope that I'm wrong, I really do. Whichever whatway. WELL DONE tonight.

And leave those Greek hub-caps alone :o

Yeah, good result and very pleased to see that other lot fail. Well that's half of my prediction for the final. The other half was Liverpool vs AC Milan and Milan to win. I hope that I'm wrong, I really do. Whichever whatway. WELL DONE tonight.

And leave those Greek hub-caps alone :D

And leave those Greek hub-caps alone :D

Easy tiger :D , you had better be chearing Liverpool if we face the mancs Hammer :o