BANGKOK
Stubby

Where Have all the Pantip Plaza Shops Gone?

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The reason, IMO, that high streets are becoming deserted is lack of parking. Who wants to buy a load of stuff and carry it on a bus?

The clever shop owners deserted high rents in high streets for suburban shopping malls with cafes and public toilets long ago.

Another reason would be be, IMO, that people with vision are lacking in retail. No one is thinking outside the box for ways to attract customers.

I used to shop at Pantip,

Now I buy everything online, Shopee, AliExpress, Lazada, they have everything I want and usually a lot cheaper.

No need to drive into town, and risk all the police stops around the moat.

Edited by BritManToo

20 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Fortune Town is a nice shopping experience. I miss all the little shops selling bits and bobs but I don't tinker anymore anyway. It sits right on MRT. Pra ram 9. Has a section for phones and repair. Lots of photo stuff.

Sure, we'll just hop on the MRT from Chang Klan in Chiang Mai to get there 🙂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Pantip will never recover while it has such limited parking, and it's in the wrong place.

I liked it too, but no amount of redecoration is going to save it.

Try the store out the back of Central Airport mall. Forget the name, but it's probably better than Home Pro for furniture.

Thanks, TBL, I know the one you're talking about. I'll check it out later this week 😉

7 hours ago, lordblackader said:

Sure, we'll just hop on the MRT from Chang Klan in Chiang Mai to get there 🙂

Haha didn't notice it was cm forum

Office Mate has decent quality office furniture. Global House has higher quality office furniture.

I bought all my office furniture 17-18 years ago from Office Mate. I don't look anymore so cannot help with current suppliers; although, I know Office Mate still carries office furniture.  I bought a great new chair there 4-5 months ago, but it was near the front door and the other stuff is in the back.

On 1/21/2020 at 9:22 AM, kiaora1968 said:

Index Living Mall has a quite extended choice of computer desks, you can see them all online. None of the very cheap stuff, but some of them are of very good quality.

https://www.indexlivingmall.com/category/furniture/home-office/working-and-computer-table.html

Thank you, Kiaora. I'd forgotten all about Index. I've checked out all the other places and they're either too tiny or too expensive. The latter are this heavy wood, executive office type desks. The former are overly cheap and too narrow for a large screen. OK, so Index is on the list 😉

On 1/21/2020 at 1:00 PM, elektrified said:

Office Mate has decent quality office furniture. Global House has higher quality office furniture.

Global House had the usual too small (school desk types), or too large desks. Thanks for your input thoug, Elektrified 😉

On 1/21/2020 at 1:00 PM, elektrified said:

On 1/21/2020 at 6:11 PM, AgMech Cowboy said:

I bought all my office furniture 17-18 years ago from Office Mate. 

Two mentions for Office Mate, thanks guys. I've never been there, but it looks like there's one not far from where I am.

Stubby