Where Have all the Pantip Plaza Shops Gone?

Stubby

Hi folks.

Pantip Plaza is something of a ghost town nowadays. It used to accommodate quite a few decent camera shops, but not anymore. Now it's dominated by identical-looking smartphone and accessory booths and cheap clothing. There was also a well-stocked office furniture store on one of the upper floors. It had a decent variety of items at reasonable prices.

So, my question is, where have all those shops gone? Do I have to use glossy stores in shopping malls to get camera accessories? I also want a new computer desk, but there's nothing suitable in Home Pro.

Have those Pantip businesses shut shop, or can I find them elsewhere in Chiang Mai?

Thank you in advance,

Stubby

Edited by Stubby

Some moved to Paladium when the renovation of Pantip started, but mostly failed and closed down. Others persevered, but as Pantip started charging them ever higher rents, many closed down.

Some have moved to Fortune Town, others moved online, many just shut down.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tomazbodner said:

Some moved to Paladium when the renovation of Pantip started, but mostly failed and closed down. Others persevered, but as Pantip started charging them ever higher rents, many closed down.

OK, thank you, Tomaz.

29 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

I suppose you are talking about Bangkok.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

CM, not BKK. And I noticed a coffee shop on the top floor food section upstairs just folded. I really like Pantip so I hope it recovers.  

Oh my apologies. I was talking about Bangkok (Pratunam) one. But Bang Kapi and Ngamwongwan ones were as good as dead as well. So I can only imagine they are all in the same boat.

People building their own PCs from parts, or even buying assembled full desktop PCs are just fewer and fewer. For the rest a Department Store type shop selling laptops, tablets (also not selling as good as they used to) or phone + lots of accessories are good enough.

It would be hard to make living out of a computer shop in a place like Pantip with few customers and exorbitant rent.

Pantip started as clothes market. Then moved to computers. Then to mobiles and gadgets. If they don't find something else successful without many competitors, they could as well fold.

• Like 1

Try Big C for a computer desk. Think the brand is Besico, supplied in knocked down panels which are simple to assemble.

I noticed KFC and McDonalds have moved into Pantip. A lot of vacant shops further up the floors.

On 1/17/2020 at 9:05 PM, Lacessit said:

Try Big C for a computer desk. Think the brand is Besico, supplied in knocked down panels which are simple to assemble.

I noticed KFC and McDonalds have moved into Pantip. A lot of vacant shops further up the floors.

Thanks, Lacessit.

There's a BIC C near me so I'll take a look. I must say, the limited choice of computer desks at Home Pro was quite a surprise since it’s a "home dedicated" store.

There's a Mini C, at Pantip too, and a pharmacy. All floors are pretty dead most of the time. High streets around the developed or developing world are fast becoming ghost towns. Still, folks can't complain if they want to buy everything online to save a couple of bob. The outside world will only get more deserted as virtual-world interaction replaces real-world relationships. Socialization skills are dying fast as humans become more humanoid. 

Stubby

HS.png

On 1/16/2020 at 1:43 PM, holy cow cm said:

CM, not BKK. And I noticed a coffee shop on the top floor food section upstairs just folded. I really like Pantip so I hope it recovers.  

I guess part of the problem for the Pantip in CM is that due to crackdown on ED visa's there are way less foreigners in that building, who used to consume coffee and such too. I used to play chess with school kids in one of the top floors years ago too, doubt they are still there today.

Another thing is that those computer shops, I used to like (as I didnt know or use online shopping in Thailand), but are very over priced. People start to catch up on that, knowing they have been scammed for years, to now order it Online instead.

If they were only a bit reasonable, I am sure many would still buy it in store, I would as that gives me a reason to go out and have it the same day.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

Fortune Town is a nice shopping experience. I miss all the little shops selling bits and bobs but I don't tinker anymore anyway. It sits right on MRT. Pra ram 9. Has a section for phones and repair. Lots of photo stuff.

Edited by Number 6

On 1/16/2020 at 7:43 PM, holy cow cm said:

Pantip will never recover while it has such limited parking, and it's in the wrong place.

I liked it too, but no amount of redecoration is going to save it.

On 1/16/2020 at 6:35 PM, Stubby said:

I also want a new computer desk, but there's nothing suitable in Home Pro.

Try the store out the back of Central Airport mall. Forget the name, but it's probably better than Home Pro for furniture.

18 hours ago, Stubby said:

Still, folks can't complain if they want to buy everything online to save a couple of bob. The outside world will only get more deserted as virtual-world interaction replaces real-world relationships. Socialization skills are dying fast as humans become more humanoid. 

The reason, IMO, that high streets are becoming deserted is lack of parking. Who wants to buy a load of stuff and carry it on a bus?

The clever shop owners deserted high rents in high streets for suburban shopping malls with cafes and public toilets long ago.

Another reason would be be, IMO, that people with vision are lacking in retail. No one is thinking outside the box for ways to attract customers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The reason, IMO, that high streets are becoming deserted is lack of parking. Who wants to buy a load of stuff and carry it on a bus?

The clever shop owners deserted high rents in high streets for suburban shopping malls with cafes and public toilets long ago.

Another reason would be be, IMO, that people with vision are lacking in retail. No one is thinking outside the box for ways to attract customers.

I used to shop at Pantip,

Now I buy everything online, Shopee, AliExpress, Lazada, they have everything I want and usually a lot cheaper.

No need to drive into town, and risk all the police stops around the moat.

Edited by BritManToo

20 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Fortune Town is a nice shopping experience. I miss all the little shops selling bits and bobs but I don't tinker anymore anyway. It sits right on MRT. Pra ram 9. Has a section for phones and repair. Lots of photo stuff.

Sure, we'll just hop on the MRT from Chang Klan in Chiang Mai to get there ????

• Like 1

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Pantip will never recover while it has such limited parking, and it's in the wrong place.

I liked it too, but no amount of redecoration is going to save it.

Try the store out the back of Central Airport mall. Forget the name, but it's probably better than Home Pro for furniture.

Thanks, TBL, I know the one you're talking about. I'll check it out later this week ????

I bought all my office furniture 17-18 years ago from Office Mate. I don't look anymore so cannot help with current suppliers; although, I know Office Mate still carries office furniture.  I bought a great new chair there 4-5 months ago, but it was near the front door and the other stuff is in the back.

On 1/21/2020 at 9:22 AM, kiaora1968 said:

Index Living Mall has a quite extended choice of computer desks, you can see them all online. None of the very cheap stuff, but some of them are of very good quality.

https://www.indexlivingmall.com/category/furniture/home-office/working-and-computer-table.html

Thank you, Kiaora. I'd forgotten all about Index. I've checked out all the other places and they're either too tiny or too expensive. The latter are this heavy wood, executive office type desks. The former are overly cheap and too narrow for a large screen. OK, so Index is on the list ????

On 1/21/2020 at 1:00 PM, elektrified said:

Office Mate has decent quality office furniture. Global House has higher quality office furniture.

Global House had the usual too small (school desk types), or too large desks. Thanks for your input thoug, Elektrified ????

On 1/21/2020 at 1:00 PM, elektrified said:

Office Mate has decent quality office furniture. Global House has higher quality office furniture.

On 1/21/2020 at 6:11 PM, AgMech Cowboy said:

I bought all my office furniture 17-18 years ago from Office Mate. 

Two mentions for Office Mate, thanks guys. I've never been there, but it looks like there's one not far from where I am.

Stubby