Chronically ill Sattahip senior dumped on roadside

Rimmer

Chronically ill Sattahip senior dumped on roadside

Pattaya-News-2-N-Jan-14-01-Senior-left-d

SATTAHIP:-- Sattahip officials hospitalized an ill, elderly man twice put out on the street by family members.

The unidentified Thai man in his 60s was reported to authorities Jan. 14 after living on roadside outside Thepprasit Temple for a month. He was living in a handmade tent with only a mattress, pillow and old clothes.

Wanna Sampawapol, a Sattahip Subdistrict medical practitioner, and medics from the Sawang Rachana Thammasathan Foundation inspected his living quarters and found a water container, rotten food and bloody sputum among the garbage. He was transported to Sattahip Km. 10 Hospital for treatment.

Read more: https://www.pattayamail.com/news/chronically-ill-sattahip-senior-dumped-on-roadside-284597

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2020-01-16—

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Scot123 said:

Maybe not. The village we lived in there were a few old and very, very poor people scraping a living and when I asked about them was told they used to be rich but gave their land to their children who promptly sold all the land and dumped their parents into poverty never to return. 

Yup. Heard lots of such stories when I was living in the UK. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I don't know this guy personally, but same same.  Just dumped in the police station, and what did the caring Pattaya police do, leave him for 3 to 4 days, before the story hit the media, and they were forced into action. 

I agree with CanuckThai. 

Always have enough money to get back to your home country, because a farang is lower than a soi dog here.

Thanks. I had forgotten about that guy.

My bad, :sorry:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, billd766 said:

Thanks. I had forgotten about that guy.

That story was reported incorrectly. He was brought there, as he requested, and it was claimed he thought he was in immigration. I also have it on good authority he was extremely difficult and combative when the police volunteers tried to help him. 

All you UK expats having a thai bash day will ignore the fact that at xmas time hospitals in the UK are to capacity because beds are blocked by seniors well enough to go home but nobody wants them until after the festivities are over.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gandtee said:

I'm happy to say, mine are the latter.

So are mine. My MIL lived with us for nearly 5 years before she died in a small house we had built. My FIL died a couple of years ago in BKK and he was looked after by my wife who used to go down for 2 weeks in 3 and her 2 brothers who shared the load with their families also.

On 1/16/2020 at 2:54 PM, jacko45k said:

I am sure having someone slowly dying in your home is quite a stressful thing, but to dump them on the street is hard.

Been there, done that, twice. I still never considered dumping a family member on the street or in a hospice. It comes down to lack of moral fiber. 

• Like 1

In the USA, folks with a little bit of money can buy into a retirement home that will not kick them out.  Medicare or Medicaid then pays for their medical care.  Thailand seems to be transitioning from family care of elders to children who don't want to assume that responsibility.  It's time for the government to respond by setting up retirement homes for the indigent.

On 1/16/2020 at 5:47 PM, Scot123 said:

Maybe not. The village we lived in there were a few old and very, very poor people scraping a living and when I asked about them was told they used to be rich but gave their land to their children who promptly sold all the land and dumped their parents into poverty never to return.

Sounds like a story of a man who saw a man who saw a bear. Many people like to make up sob stories... maybe what they told you is true, then maybe again they are trying to get pity. In this world, one never knows heads from tails anymore. I have become an eternal skeptic, unfortunately.

On 1/16/2020 at 5:47 PM, Scot123 said:

Yeah, it's an old story, c.f. King Lear.