Thai Civilized party leader proposes legal brothels and adult shops to reduce rape

webfact

21 hours ago, seajae said:

as are many of the illegal gambling dens, makes it easy for them to make sure everything is above board before raids are done unless the army does them without telling the police. Big problem in Thailand are the ones that run the illegal establishments, higher ups that have a position that enables them to do as they please, this is why they will not legalize prostitution or gambling, there is too much money to be made by the ones that are able to control them

Same applies to drugs.

Very difficult proposition to implement in a country where the scene flourishes above ground already with little interference except to ensure that the brown envelopes come on a regular basis.

If they could come up with a system the tax department would be in a position to contribute

a considerable amount to the economy, At present thousands of families in Isaan already benefit

Rape is a form of violence and derives from mental illness that no brothel is going to satisfy. There's nothing sexy about rape or violence to me. Not fun, not hot. This proposal obviously hasn't been reviewed by reputable psychologists or criminal experts. 

22 hours ago, Saint Nick said:

Legalize prostitution (which for now, does not exist in Thailand...wink wink...), tax it, organize the sex- workers, protect them AND the customers.

Just act like a normal, civilized country!

But we all know, it will not happen!

A) because the ruling class is so far out of touch with everyday life, they don't even acknowledge, there might be a problem

B) the police can not make a cut of the "illegal" establishments

Yes, the ruling class is out of touch, but they still have sex, and a lot of them frequent 'ruling class sex services'. They are a bunch of hypocrytes. 

6 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

It certainly is still rape, just as with any other woman, and it’s one thing that legalized sex work can help prevent.

However, I do remember a real case in Australia where a man was a regular client of a lady, who trusted him so much that he used to pay by leaving the money in an envelope that she’d open after he’d left. One time he just left a card with a picture of a flower in the envelope with no money. He was actually convicted of rape, despite it being the equivalent of theft.

It was no different to the old joke - I was standing in a queue at a bank, and noticed an attractive young lady depositing a large amount of cash. The teller carefully examined one of the $100 notes, and placed it under a UV light. I’m sorry to have to tell you, Madam, but this banknote appears to be a forgery. Her face became ashen - My God, she gasped, I’ve been raped again!

I find it strange that it would be considered rape in that case. It should be considered fraud or something.

Rape is, in my opinion, to have sex with someone that has not consented. I guess her consent was conditional on the money paid according to the court.. but I find it a bit surprising the court would see it that way.

The usual way a prostitute gets raped is by a client wanting certain acts that the prostitute refuses and then the client forcing the prostitute to commit those acts anyway. That's rape in my book.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ebumbu said:

Rape is a form of violence and derives from mental illness that no brothel is going to satisfy. There's nothing sexy about rape or violence to me. Not fun, not hot. This proposal obviously hasn't been reviewed by reputable psychologists or criminal experts. 

There's only two possibilities... The politician is a massive idiot.. or.. the politician is very smart and thinks legalizing prostitution is good for other reasons but is using this as a reason to convince the other massive idiot politicians.. because who can argue that rape is good right?

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

and you know that because.............................................

Don't equate skank druggy streetwalkers in western cities with the Thai scene.

Psycho men exists in all societies and they usually target prostitutes.

The thai scene that westerners are generally exposed to is a small fraction of the scene in Thailand... Ask around will ya, ask the bargirls if they ever felt forced to do something they didn't want to. Or better yet, ask if they heard about some friend being raped by a client. Ofcourse Thai girls might have a different definition of rape as rape is still usually blamed on the victim here.. no metoo movement in Thailand yet...just went over their heads.

However the pretties have been in media lately portraid as being in a very high risk profession due to the frequent rape risk. 

Source: 

I assume it's even more risky for prostitutes.. the psycho men that are willing to drug someone and then take advantage of them are definitely doing the same or similar to prostitutes. And there seems to be no shortage of such men in a society where rape law, and attitude towards victims, specially prostitutes,  is far behind Western society

Edited by hobz

19 minutes ago, Nice Boyd said:

I do think Rape Numbers are lower than the West

I think underreporting of rape in Thailand is absolutely massive. 

Imagine going to a Thai police saying you were raped... Thai police are probably 100 years behind Western police in terms of blaming the victim and asking what she was wearing etc.. and it's still pretty bad in the west. But it's way worse here.. attitude towards rape in Thailand is absolutely bonkers, just look at the Thai tv soaps and how it's portrayed there...

Also remember when the PM said it's a Thai tradition to rape inappropriately dressed pretty women? Source: https://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/citylife-articles/changing-stripes-thailands-culture-victim-blaming-metoo-era/

Edited by hobz

1 hour ago, Ebumbu said:

Most rapists would not fit either the DSM6 definiton of any mental illness, and even less would fit the legal defence definiton or more of them walk free from the courts.

Legalising brothels will not reduce rape,using that to sell his proposal is poorly thought through 

I feel legalisation is a perfectly good idea, but the legislation would need to be well though out.

Edited by RJRS1301

14 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

so let's start with the sister of this genius politician...than cousins...than an auntie or two...i am sure they won't mind to contribute their fare share for the sexual welfare of humanity.

Depends on what they look like ????

22 hours ago, mike787 said:

I would vote for him.  Pattaya could be as much a famous family destination as it could be a brothel.  Currently, Pattaya does not offer much in the way of legal brothels.

Either he is 'trying' to be funny or is delusional. A family destination ??? Why would families come to Pattaya ? to swim alongside raw tur -ds on filthy beaches. To enter and enjoy the allure of hundreds of bars ?  To have husbands, in the presence of the family being called 'hello hansum man' by the girls or ladyboys. Mate take a double dose of what you normally take for your delusions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Does anyone really believe that old feminist line?

Rape is more like theft IMHO, 'you have something I want, but I can't afford the price tag, so I'll just help myself'

I mean, OK maybe there's a few nutters that fit your ideology, but most convictions it's guys they knew and/or dated.

Hrmmm maybe.

I'm not an expert in this field, but I do think the impulse to force oneself sexually on a woman may have it's roots in the feeling of dominance the act generates. First impressions anyway.

I think I would like to understand more about this, but until I do, I don't think I'll be jumping to any conclusions about the underlying causes.

Perhaps someone who does understand the underlying causes (someone who isn't just a parrot), could offer some clarification. Nothing to do with the topic at hand, I will grant, but it's something I could usefully learn about I think, and if I can't learn from other posters, then I really shouldn't be here... I usually learn lots from most interactions: excluding the nutters anyway.

Edited by ParkerN

59 minutes ago, Dap said:

Rapists will continue to rape. It has nothing to do with making prostitution legal,

but everything to do with "a need to control". 

Are you sure 'control' is the right word? I would have said 'impose', but ultimately that may just be semantics.

1 hour ago, ParkerN said:

Are you sure 'control' is the right word? I would have said 'impose', but ultimately that may just be semantics.

No, I am not sure of the proper term to use but as I understand it, the current generally accepted terms include; domination, violence, power and control but not sex. "Impose" could very well be the proper term.

• Like 2

It should he the law everywhere that women are free to work as they wish. They need protection though as do other workers.

The repression of sex in society generally, the abhorancd and feigned shock at nudity and prudishness is a ludicrous absurdity that makes the natural, unnatural and suppressed natural urges can explode with the wrong personalities. Just look at Thais and the dichotomy of polite people waiing each other one minute and trying their best to kill each other, push in and generally act in a truly barbaric, selfish, undisciplined, rude and dangerous manner as soon as they turn the key of a motor vehicle. The results of suppressed emotions easy to see.

The logic that flows from that in a country where prostitution is illegal may well be right in that it might reduce rape. But Thailand is a huge brothel already so making legal what is incredibly available will do bug all.

Educate Thais and teach them respect for other and their role in society would be a far better way to start working toward a solution.

• Like 1

Should  send out a concours  form to all thais and ask if they were happy with the elections

Then the man incharge can make a self-assessment as to his next move.

Just ask everyone  if they were happy?

That should give the real  answer as to what should happen next