Chiang Mai introduces AirCMI pollution management app

webfact

Chiang Mai introduces AirCMI pollution management app

41b25496a0df8fa066fb138a96d94493_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Prior to the Cabinet’s meeting , Prime Minister and Minister of Defence Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha, viewed an exhibition depicting the AirCMI haze and air pollution management system in Chiang Mai, and checked out the Pollution Control Department’s mobile air quality measurement stations.

The Prime Minister said the government is giving high priority to mitigating the haze and dust disaster through prevention, solutions, and the creation of awareness. The government has been performing operations such as spraying water mist and cleaning up roads and polluted areas, suppressing vehicles emitting black exhaust smoke, and launching an awareness campaign encouraging the general public to wear protective masks and refrain from outdoor activities, especially those in sensitive groups such as children, patients, and elders.

The office for national reform, strategy, and reconciliation has introduced the AirCMI system for dust and haze management, developed to enable an information exchange between provincial agencies related to dust and haze control, as well as using the information technology system to communicate with the general public and for effective dust management.

The AirCMI system provides a single command operation to support the command and operations of provincial Governors and government officials. A part of the system is the mobile application to create awareness and provide guidelines to villagers to protect themselves during poor air quality periods, and QR codes which allow visitors to scan and receive information without having to download the application.

nnt.jpg

• Haha 1

Here it is...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aircmi

And the Google Play description translated from TH to EN by Google:

The AirCMI program shows real-time particulate PM2.5 levels from more than 200 air quality sensors installed in Chiang Mai from the development of data of Chiang Mai Province Pollution Control Department, Department of Health, Meteorological Department National Space Development Agency Chiang Mai University and Office of the Nov.

- show the small amount of PM2.5 dust from the user's position By pulling data from the nearest air quality detector from more than 200 air quality meters installed in Chiang Mai Covering all districts and sub-districts

- Retrieving data from air quality meters both from Pollution Control Department And Chiang Mai University Real Time All Time (Real Time Data Transfer)

- can define their own risk values With the risk setting of General public, small children, pregnant women, the elderly or patients with the program will show, should automatically change according to the settings

- Forecast air quality 3 days in advance, daily and hourly

- Push Notifications Air Quality Notification On a smartphone

- Notify when smoke dust sources are found immediately The information will be sent to the responsible department immediately.

- Activity news center for Chiang Mai's nice weather

COLLAPSE

\

Seems to be getting positive reviews... And it seems, an app NOT developed directly by the Thai government.

16 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Notify when smoke dust sources are found immediately The information will be sent to the responsible department immediately.

That's kind of interesting.... I wonder if it's an app based snitch function for air pollution violators??

I guess the only questions would be:

--who is/are the "responsible department(s)"

--and will they bother to actually do anything in response to reports....

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The app looks to be entirely TH language. If there's any EN setting in the app, I can't find it.

But there does appear to be a function in the app to have your mobile phone take a photo with the location/time/date info encoded and send it off to someone...in the case of fires, polluting vehicles, etc.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

They could also just drive around, look what field has been burned down, ask the landoffice who owns it and go to action. Would be too damn easy...

Add........but that would defeat the purpose, e.g. common sense ????

11 minutes ago, jayjay2001 said:

Can't agree with you more.  Right on target.  While I have lived in Thailand for 9 years, I still find this kind of BS amazes me.  (By BS I mean all these ridiculous policies and actions we have seen over and over related to the pollution, and not one of them going to a major source of the pollution: the fires and people lighting them (at least within the borders of Thailand).  What a farce.  If it wasn't pertaining to such a serious issue, it would be comical.

It seems that Thai officials rather solve problems by procuring than by doing. There is no money in doing. There is money to be made by purchasing however.

Think about those water sprayers. Expensive equipment you know!! I'm sure there were thorough negotiations done before they were purchased, if you know what I mean.

Just speculating obviously. 

Personally, I would've freed up budget to assign task forces, whose sole responsibility it was to patrol their sector for illegal burning. No money in that.

Edited by Bassosa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Add........but that would defeat the purpose, e.g. common sense ????

This app is quite different from AirVisual in any number of ways. One is, it probably uses the Thai government AQI system that understates what varying pollution levels mean compared to the standard U.S./international AQI system, which is an entirely different and more health-conscious scale.

But also as I said above, I believe there is a "snitch" feature in this app that allows the mobile phone user to take a photo or video with the app and then send that along to the authorities, with the time, date and Google mapping info encoded as part of the image.  What the "relevant" authorities will do with such info, I wouldn't want to hazard a guess. But that's certainly not something that's built into the AirVisual system.

1806777232_2020-01-1701_22_10.thumb.jpg.f3ef549a6135983a04471ec0d235bffc.jpg

2121247446_2020-01-1617_38_22.thumb.jpg.7a50a7cd36c4fbf5116cd57550b8c95d.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

This app is quite different from AirVisual in any number of ways. One is, it probably uses the Thai government AQI system that understates what varying pollution levels mean compared to the standard U.S./international AQI system, which is an entirely different and more health-conscious scale.

But also as I said above, I believe there is a "snitch" feature in this app that allows the mobile phone user to take a photo or video with the app and then send that along to the authorities, with the time, date and Google mapping info encoded as part of the image.  What the "relevant" authorities will do with such info, I wouldn't want to hazard a guess. But that's certainly not something that's built into the AirVisual system.

1806777232_2020-01-1701_22_10.thumb.jpg.f3ef549a6135983a04471ec0d235bffc.jpg

2121247446_2020-01-1617_38_22.thumb.jpg.7a50a7cd36c4fbf5116cd57550b8c95d.jpg

If it does indeed have a snitch feature I for one shall be using it often and shall spend days at a time, snitching.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I believe there is a "snitch" feature in this app that allows the mobile phone user to take a photo or video with the app and then send that along to the authorities, with the time, date and Google mapping info encoded as part of the image.  What the "relevant" authorities will do with such info, I wouldn't want to hazard a guess. But that's certainly not something that's built into the AirVisual system.

I like the sounds of that, one has to wonder if this if this is going to spread around the, but with the name Air CMI, I am assuming it will only be for Chiang Mai ?

If they ever started to spread it nationwide, I will be annoying the #hit out of them taking photos with date and time stamp and coordinates and sending the info in, i.e. until I find out that no one is doing anything about anything except shovelling paperwork around to different departments to keep each other awake. 

Apologise for the negativity, but it's the way I have become here, living here after seeing how things work.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

Don't measure it.....STOP it, they need to get the Army (sure they not too busy),

the Police off road blocks,any volunteers ,camping out if need be,up in the hills

patrolling,to stop villagers setting fires to the land,arrest them as Arsonists,which

they are,and give them prison sentences,they need to know the Government (which

in my view they are not) serious about stopping the smoke pollution, which effects

peoples health, is bad for the tourist industry.

Monitoring the effects after the burning has started,is not good enough,spraying

water,leaf blowers, ...... stop it before it starts,be proactive.an App is not going top stop it

regards Worgeordie

Edited by worgeordie
add on
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The app looks to be entirely TH language. If there's any EN setting in the app, I can't find it.

But there does appear to be a function in the app to have your mobile phone take a photo with the location/time/date info encoded and send it off to someone...in the case of fires, polluting vehicles, etc.

And entered as statistical data on cloud storage as to scope of problem which at the end of a few years  can be scrutinized by a committee to find proposals on various methods  to enact solutions provided  by a sub  committee whose task will be to investigate  viable cost effective solutions for which funding eventually can be applied for provided in the 202.? budget considerations? Unless substantial rainfalls resume that washes away the problem in which case it will be shelved  until "next time" !

Edited by Dumbastheycome
additionals
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mduras01 said:

They should start with Phuket and Bangkok.

4867BC97-6682-4774-B672-47F29ECD1A18.png

Leave Bangkok to suffer from it until someone 'Important ' or someone in their family dies from it or suffers serious illness from it because the People of Chiang Mai have been suffering from bad Smog for many years and sweet FA has been done to stop it as Bangkok 'Authorities' couldn't care less about The North !

• Like 1

So it tells you to stay inside with a mask on for 6 months 

again pathetic 

And they dare put kids in their picture that will have lifetime problems from growing up in this preventable disaster- grow up people-negligence 

Edited by Redline