Using a passport service , good idea or not ?

Not sure if this is the right place to post this , move if necessary please . I would like to get a british passport for my 3 year old son who was born in Thailand.  The thing is, I'm not sure it using an agency is the right way to go. It would be easier for me if I didnt need to fly there and do all the paperwork myself but I'm not 100% confident these agencies are legit . I'm not married but was present at my sons birth and have my name on my sons Thai birth cert. The relationship with his mother has went south but she is willing to let me get a passport for him and when he is old enough and comfortable to fly with me to the UK. 

I hold a british and irish passport and was wondering if anyone has used such agencies to do all the donkey work for them and what are their thoughts . Any advise or experience with this process would be appreciated.   

I'm pretty sure that most of the agents are legit, but I'm also pretty sure that you'd still have to do the donkey work, I think all they'll do is submit the paperwork, that you've collated, on your behalf.

The legit agencies I know of will do the submissions for a passport renewal but I'm not aware of one that will apply for a childs initial passport in the circumstances you describe, that doesn't mean there isn't one.

Are you in Thailand?

1 hour ago, theoldgit said:

I'm pretty sure that most of the agents are legit, but I'm also pretty sure that you'd still have to do the donkey work, I think all they'll do is submit the paperwork, that you've collated, on your behalf.

The legit agencies I know of will do the submissions for a passport renewal but I'm not aware of one that will apply for a childs initial passport in the circumstances you describe, that doesn't mean there isn't one.

Are you in Thailand?

No I'm in the uk now and contemplating going to Bangkok at the end of February to start the process . I was looking at a few sites online who claim I dont need to leave the UK as they take care of all for me for a fee of course , think it was 10000b and then passport costs etc . 

I have just submitted a passport application from Thailand for my half Thai, British son. As long as you submit all the requested documents and copies then it all seems a pretty straightforward procedure, so why pay an agent if you are going to be in Thailand anyway?

Go to the HM Passport website and follow their clear guidlines as to what you will need and save yourself nearly 10,000 baht

The only difference in using an Agent is they do the translations which you can you do yourself same as the application form. They drop of and collect you Passport in Bangkok for. Fee of around 15000 baht I believe which doesn’t include the application fee.

I'm not from UK, but Europen, and have a child here, and I'm not married; but stay together with the mother, i.e. my girlfriend.

It was not that difficult for me, and from what I have read of post in Thaivisa forums, it might even be little easier for a Brit, than it was for my home country.

You might need an English translation of the birth certificate. Another recent thread mentioned that you now can get that at an amphor office for a 10 baht fee (don't know if the mother need to be present), and that Britain accept an official document – which the translation issued by the amphor office is – instead of the more complicated method with legalization of a certified English, and thereafter embassy verification of the legalization.

The remaining part would then be obtaining British nationality for you son (if not already registered as Brit), and apply for passport at the British embassy in Bangkok. They might request the mother to be present and give her permission (my Scandinavian embassy required that).

The best way when taking you son out from Thailand would be two passports, both a British and a Thai; i.e. you check-in for airplane with the British passport, you leave Thailand through immigration showing the Thai passport (only), and enter Britain on the British passport. Returning to Thailand v.v., however you can check-in at a British airport with both British or Thai passport, but must enter Thailand on Thai passport only (otherwise it will a 30-day stamp).

A Thai passport can be issued in one day paying for VIP-service (about 1,000 baht extra, the passport cost is also around 1,000 baht). Both the father and the mother need to be present, when applying for a passport for a Thai child.

Leaving Thailand alone with a minor you should have a permission from the mother. You might not be asked questions in immigration – especially if same family name – but in case you are, a permission will solve it. You can obtain an official permission letter from an amphor office, the mother need to be present to give the permission. You might need photo copies of passports, and ID-card, and House Book; check in advance what the amphor office need, and how the copies shall be made; like front and back of ID-card on same piece of paper, and address page of House Book on same paper as the name page. 

You might need to come to Thailand, but with some preparation, and co-operation from the mother, it should not be that difficult. I won't think that an agent can do it all for you, as both father and mother might need to show up – I know from experience that a power of attorney would not work for a Thai passport, when we was applying (mom and child was send home, asked to return with a physical father). However, I cannot say that it's impossible to have it all done by an agent.

????

19 hours ago, khunPer said:

The remaining part would then be obtaining British nationality for you son (if not already registered as Brit), and apply for passport at the British embassy in Bangkok. They might request the mother to be present and give her permission (my Scandinavian embassy required that).

????

There is no need to "obtain British nationality" for your son.  You just apply for a UK passport, but it's not done at the British Embassy in Bangkok.  Use the link provided earlier.  The application and supporting documents are submitted at the VFS offices in The Trendy, Sukhumvit soi 13.  It takes about 3 weeks before you collect the passport from the same office.

Archived