American Non-OA Retirement Ext report

Arrived at Chaeng Wattana Immigration Div 1 at 0745 and was told to stand in front. My age is 74 so "Elderly" I guess. We were allowed in before the early arrival line! More shocking my Extension Q # was L1 1. First time in 16 years. 

My monthly income statement was accepted.

I learned last week that my health insurance was not approved so I bought an approved policy from Bangkok Insurance via email, no check up required. More expensive than other approved plans but it was approved the same day and they sent me .pdf documents via email. 

This caused a a major delay. The officer needed to confirm that the policy had been issued and the system did not work. 3 hours later the paperwork was approved.

My application was submitted with:

Bangkok Bank report of monthly credits. December and January showed the new transaction code "bahtnet" for the international transfers. My explanation was accepted. 

The usual signed copies from my passport: Front page, first Visa, Last extension, most recent entry stamp, reentry permit. and arrival card.

New documents included:

Hand drawn map of my condo location

Photos, printed on a single page , showing the front of my building with the name visible, a photo of my door, and a photo inside my unit.

Health insurance from an approved plan with the Health Care Insurance Schedule, Document with Details of coverage, and

"Insurance Certificate

for Alien to apply for Non-Immigrant Visa Type O-A (Period not exceeding 1 year)

in accordance with the Cabinet Resolution, dated 2 April B.E. 2562 (2019)

HEALTH CARE INSURANCE FOR LONG STAY VISA"

There is A WEB SITE WITH THE NAMES OF PARTICIPATING INSURERS. "http://longstay.tgia.org/"

THESE SHOULD HAVE BEEN ORIGINALS and caused the delay I mentioned. 

One more note purchase a policy that is valid until your usual expiration date.

By the time my reentry permit was done it was 15:30. 

Edited by ubonjoe
edited title to make it OA
  • Thanks 1

fyi, the headline of your thread says Non-O....

But since you're talking about a health insurance requirement in the body of your post, presumably you're getting a retirement extension from a Non-OA visa.

PS - Why did your transfers to BKKB for Dec. and Jan. suddenly change to "bahtnet" classification?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, asiaexpat said:

To all the alarmist, last week I renewed my extension of stay for the purpose of Retirement (Non-O visa issue many years ago) at CW and I had no insurance documents and was not asked for any. 

Thats because NOW it is not needed with a Non-O

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

17 hours ago, Roy Baht said:

And who knows? Maybe someday Non-O extenders WILL be asked to buy insurance.

And, playing devil's advocate, why stop there? Why not make ALL non-immigrants aged 50+ subject to the insurance requirement, regardless of their original visa type and extension of stay reason?

Would take a major rewrite (and lengthening) of the relevant Police Orders to implement, though. Anyone's guess when/if this would ever happen IMHO.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Would take a major rewrite (and lengthening) of the relevant Police Orders to implement, though. Anyone's guess when/if this would ever happen IMHO.

Why do you assume they would bother with a full rewrite, if the past is any indicator, some flunky will just amend a police order and all will be fine with officialdom 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roy Baht said:

I'd still like to hear back from the OP. He should at least know what kind of visa he is on. That should be a visa requirement: knowing what kind of visa you are applying for. ????

You must be new to Thai Visa.

BTW, he's applying for an extension of stay, not a visa. 

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Roy Baht said:

You were required to buy health insurance for a Non-O visa extension? (Not Non-OA?)

That's the first time I've heard of that.

He doesn't have a Non-O. The headline says: 

"American Non-OA Retirement Ext report"

16 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

He doesn't have a Non-O. The headline says: 

"American Non-OA Retirement Ext report"

It originally said Non-O visa until I edited it. Look and you will set the comment I wrote when I edited it. And a post I wrote on page one,

2 hours ago, chilly07 said:

That is why they are singled out for insurance.

And why am I singled out after more than 8 years and having x million Baht on Thai bank accounts? A mate being here in similar situation entered with Non 0, no requirement and he has no insurance.

Tell me the logic behind this.

And maybe you are aware of the proof of financials (pension/income/funds) for the Non-O A when applying in home country? It is about the same like applying here in Thailand. Just in your currency.

Of course I will get rid of the Non-O A status during this year (visa run).

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to the OP for sharing his experience with an OA extension at CW.

But sad to hear that he opted for the expensive and basically worthless thai-approved health-insurance scam, while it is surprisingly simple to switch to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa which does NOT require that bogus insurance requirement.