Watch out at Bangkok Bank new ATM cards

Heard  through the grape vine BKB  changed  ATM cards as of to-day to using a 6 didgit pin number, and new style of embeded chip. What a performance, Passport, Bank Book,House Book.Required 10 sheets of paper, some of which had to be signed twice next select a new pin and entered 4 times.Next came a request for 300Bt for the new  card.

Only been baanking with them for  over 30 years,never been charged for ATM card before.Hungry barstuards Eh? ttl

• Sad 2

It seems since 15th January cards with only magnetic strips will not work in retail shops in Thailand anymore.

You can still get money at the ATM with the old cards but it seems you can't use them i.e. in the supermarket anymore.

And that is independent from the bank.

• Thanks 1

So the change over has been known for months,   how did  you get the know.Nothing on Bualuang Online Site.  Anyhow no reseller in this area uses pin number ,and laughingly the  aassistant in the bank said  NO NEED TO SIGN THE CARD.  THat is fair enough as no one ever checks the signature against my card.Instead they like to sight my pink ID card,but only a glance.TIT

popped into bKK bank yesterday lunchtime with a work colleague as he a a 4 pin card and had to upgrade.

Signed copy of passport and work permit along with passbook, all done and dusted in under 10 minutes and the card was free.

• Like 2

Had my chipped Bangkok Bank card for 3 + 1/2 years , has a 4 digit pin .

Gf informs me that I need to change it to a 6 digit pin.

Went to nearest BB they inform me I have to go to the branch I opened the account at with bank book and passport.

Okay, drove 30 minutes to the branch for them to tell me as my card has still 1 + 1/2 years on it and is chipped am good to go !!

But when I do change it will be Union Pay ☹️

14 hours ago, ttl said:

Next came a request for 300Bt for the new  card.

I save 200B a yr by not having an ATM card.

I've linked my BBL credit card to my savings account to make ATM cash debit directly from the account .

I was told this will only work within Thailand. Outside of Thailand it will be credit card cash advance, where I prefer to use Schwab ATM card.

Also was told it will work with BBL ATMs only but it also worked when I used it on an SCB ATM by mistake.

Edited by Thailand J
English is my third language.

18 hours ago, ThaidDown said:

The changeover date has been known for months.

Changed ATM card at BBL last month. Just needed old card plus id. Agree quite a few places to sign but that's normal. No charge to change.

Ref the 6 digit PIN.. hardest part is remembering to add the 5 and 6 to my original 4 number pin.

Two 0's is easy enough.

15 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Had my chipped Bangkok Bank card for 3 + 1/2 years , has a 4 digit pin .

Gf informs me that I need to change it to a 6 digit pin.

Went to nearest BB they inform me I have to go to the branch I opened the account at with bank book and passport.

Okay, drove 30 minutes to the branch for them to tell me as my card has still 1 + 1/2 years on it and is chipped am good to go !!

Yes, it's the chip that is required, not the number of digits in the PIN.

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, Don Mega said:

popped into bKK bank yesterday lunchtime with a work colleague as he a a 4 pin card and had to upgrade.

Signed copy of passport and work permit along with passbook, all done and dusted in under 10 minutes and the card was free.

Trust you to spoil it for the OP and all his wild exaggeration!

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

But when I do change it will be Union Pay

Cards can be issued at any branch and when you change you have the choice of Union Pay, Mastercard or both.