Watch out at Bangkok Bank new ATM cards

20 hours ago, ttl said:

So the change over has been known for months,   how did  you get the know.Nothing on Bualuang Online Site.  Anyhow no reseller in this area uses pin number ,and laughingly the  aassistant in the bank said  NO NEED TO SIGN THE CARD.  THat is fair enough as no one ever checks the signature against my card.Instead they like to sight my pink ID card,but only a glance.TIT

ATM card, passport, bankbook  and do pin twice, free of charge for me.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'm going to cancel my ATM card before its issued next year, I'll just use Bangkok Bank as a transfer account

Yes, then you are going to pay more in fuel per year every time you, in person, need to take out money then you would have been paying for the card and a small walk to the ATM. Good Job!

49 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Cards can be issued at any branch and when you change you have the choice of Union Pay, Mastercard or both.

No, they told me I had to go back to Bangkok (from Ubon), I pointed out that it said any branch on their website so they called up  to check....yep, have to go back to Bangkok.

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

How is it "more secure"  than Union Pay?

I meant more secure than my old Be1st Visa debit card - even though it was chipped. I have no experience with Union Pay but have been informed - including by bank staff - that it cannot be used in many countries, unlike visa (no longer available) and Mastercard. Hence my choice of Mastercard. 

• Confused 2

9 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I meant more secure than my old Be1st Visa debit card - even though it was chipped. I have no experience with Union Pay but have been informed - including by bank staff - that it cannot be used in many countries, unlike visa (no longer available) and Mastercard. Hence my choice of Mastercard. 

Allegedly BK Mastercard is as useless as BK Unionpay as they are part of TPN (Thai Payment Network), and not acceptable for many online transactions or direct payment outside of Thailand.

https://www.thaipr.net/tag/thai-payment-network

Edited by BritManToo

28 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Allegedly BK Mastercard is as useless as BK Unionpay as they are part of TPN (Thai Payment Network), and not acceptable for either online transactions or direct payment outside of Thailand.

https://www.thaipr.net/tag/thai-payment-network

I hope not. I will have to check in more detail, but the staff at the local branch I use seemed to think it was a problem with UnionPay only. I will go down now and see what they say. Luckily the bank is in my office building. 

image.png.dad397a9dced257536bfe68c86565c81.png

Edited by GarryP

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

My BKK bank has had 6 digit pin for 4 years

Whenever I've had to get NEW Thai bank cards issued the past couple years because the old ones had expired, I always had to set up a 6 digit PIN instead of the older 4 digit PINs.

But, all of my current Thai bank cards are all chipped now, and AFAIK, my couple year old chipped BKKB debit card is continuing to work fine with its same 4 digit PIN.  I haven't been required, at least thus far, to change the existing card's PIN to a 6 digit version.

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Whenever I've had to get NEW Thai bank cards issued the past couple years because the old ones had expired, I always had to set up a 6 digit PIN instead of the older 4 digit PINs.

But, all of my current Thai bank cards are all chipped now, and AFAIK, my couple year old chipped BKKB debit card is continuing to work fine with its same 4 digit PIN.  I haven't been required, at least thus far, to change the existing card's PIN to a 6 digit version.

My former card was not due to expire for another year or so and the bank told me I could continue using it until then. It was visa debit 4 digit PIN. However, the need to cancel my card and get a new one was due to skimming. 

Now waiting for the next thread of this kind :biggrin:

Thaivisa should introduce flashing popups with reminders for all kind of "surprise" events.

I was not affected by the change now at Bangkok Bank (got one of the last VISA cards, chipped with 4 digits).

Just know that Kasikorn displayed a message about it months before.

Have changed at SCB and Kasikorn during last year.

About dozen threads at least during the year?

Edited by KhunBENQ

11 minutes ago, Thailand J said:

I'll be glad to pay 200B per year to have one less card in my wallet.

Do YOU not decide how many cards you carry in your wallet. Usually ONE is enough, TWO as a back-up.

Oh yes, and your driving licence instead of having to have it on your phone and carry that as well.

And all those bits of paper with the King's picture on.

Edited by stouricks

3 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Yes, then you are going to pay more in fuel per year every time you, in person, need to take out money then you would have been paying for the card and a small walk to the ATM. Good Job!

Don't know how you worked that out, I'll just use my Kasakorn ATM card instead, no need to use Bangkok Bank

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Don't know how you worked that out, I'll just use my Kasakorn ATM card instead, no need to use Bangkok Bank

Ok!? Just curious. Why do you need to transfer to Bangkok Bank then? Why not use Cashakorn for everything? ???? 

Edited by Matzzon

3 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Ok!? Just curious. Why do you need to transfer to Bangkok Bank then? Why not use Cashakorn for everything? ???? 

Bangkok Bank used for retirement extension, too many problems reported using other banks for Transferwise transfers, these may be ironed out now but good to have a back up account anyway

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GarryP said:

I have no experience with Union Pay but have been informed - including by bank staff - that it cannot be used in many countries

Out of curiosity, what would be a couple of those countries that you have been advised that Union Pay cannot be used in that Mastercard can be?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, MikeN said:
23 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Cards can be issued at any branch and when you change you have the choice of Union Pay, Mastercard or both.

No, they told me I had to go back to Bangkok (from Ubon), I pointed out that it said any branch on their website so they called up  to check....yep, have to go back to Bangkok.

No, I got new Union Pay and Mastercards issued to me at a branch that was not my account-holding branch. 

27 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Out of curiosity, what would be a couple of those countries that you have been advised that Union Pay cannot be used in that Mastercard can be?

Most ATMs in western europe, eastern europe, middle east etc are only supporting MC and Visa.

In germany, only the sparkasse ATMs accepted my union pay cards, all of the other countless banks don't.

Unionpay is cut off from the Visa/MC payment network. It's getting better now with acceptance but they are nowhere near MC/VPAY level of acceptance.

They are best compared to DinersClub and Amex - never found using those convenient either.

If you go to latin america, mastercard is absolute king, no good time with unionpay.

In the USA and canada due to the sheer amount of Chinese tourists you have a very good chance that ATMs and POS systems accept it.

There's still nothing to gain in using it except in china tho, MC and VPAY are accepted everywhere.

Edited by ThomasThBKK

My neighbor, long time retired in BK, plans to go back to UK for up to 10 months. He'd like to know if he'll be able to use his Thai debit cards frequently at atms to withdraw cash while he's there. I don't know which Thai banks he uses. Said I'd post the question for him as he doesn't use TVF. Thanks. 

25 minutes ago, garygooner said:

My neighbor, long time retired in BK, plans to go back to UK for up to 10 months. He'd like to know if he'll be able to use his Thai debit cards frequently at atms to withdraw cash while he's there. I don't know which Thai banks he uses. Said I'd post the question for him as he doesn't use TVF. Thanks. 

I think the answer will be it depends on the bank and card, he should confirm with his banks

On 1/17/2020 at 2:29 PM, GarryP said:

my new BB chip card has Union Pay .....  I just tried to pay a bill using the card and it was rejected.

Also, you cannot pay for Air Asia tickets, and most stores in Thailand won't accept Union Pay.

What good is this useless card  ???

I'm going back to Bangkok bank to try and get a new card with the mastercard logo

• Like 1

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

my new BB chip card has Union Pay .....  I just tried to pay a bill using the card and it was rejected.

Also, you cannot pay for Air Asia tickets, and most stores in Thailand won't accept Union Pay.

What good is this useless card  ???

I'm going back to Bangkok bank to try and get a new card with the mastercard logo

So far the only problem I have faced with the mastercard is paying my mobile phone bill via the 'my AIS' app. It was never a problem before with my BB Visa ATM. Still worried about using my new ATM card in Hungary and the UK though. The person answering on the BB helpline refused to state outright whether the card could be used in the former, only that it could be used internationally on ATM machines bearing the the mastercard logo. 

Also, on some online sites I cannot make purchases with my ATM, but that was the same with visa too. In those cases I just use my credit cards instead.  

• Like 1

On 1/18/2020 at 7:08 AM, garygooner said:

If the answer is yes, does he know how much he'll be charged for using these cards overseas?

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My BKB Debit card charges me 100bht for a foreign ATM withdrawal.

That's not too bad IMO.  I expected more.  Do you know  if it's similar for overseas/foreign currency purchases as opposed to ATM withdrawals?