Watch out at Bangkok Bank new ATM cards

1 hour ago, treetops said:

That's not too bad IMO.  I expected more.  Do you know  if it's similar for overseas/foreign currency purchases as opposed to ATM withdrawals?

Keep in mind along with the Bt100 flat fee there is also a 2.5% foreign transaction fee/currency risk fee....that is, the exchange rate will be 2.5% lower than the card-network (i.e., Visa/Mastercard/UnionPay) exchange rate.

• Thanks 1

On 1/22/2020 at 11:06 AM, Pib said:

Keep in mind along with the Bt100 flat fee there is also a 2.5% foreign transaction fee/currency risk fee....that is, the exchange rate will be 2.5% lower than the card-network (i.e., Visa/Mastercard/UnionPay) exchange rate.

Thanks, that's the sting in the tale I was hoping wouldn't be there.  I'll just avoid it then.

Just tried to use my new Bangkok Bank debit (TPN) Mastercard to book a room with AirBNB (1,600bht).

Payment refused.

Look in my Mobile App, credit limit 0bht.

Had to pay with my TMB VISA card, which had no problems with payment.

Another bloody trip to the bank ........ Grrrrrrrr.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, garygooner said:

I actually changed my old debit card at Bangkok Bank in Bangkok about 6 months ago for a mastercard. I asked the staff member if I could use it in the UK & she just said, "Not sure, maybe!" I haven't tried it yet. 

BKB debit Mastercard AirBnB say no.

TMB debit VISA card AirBnB say yes.

On 1/24/2020 at 5:12 PM, BritManToo said:

Just tried to use my new Bangkok Bank debit (TPN) Mastercard to book a room with AirBNB (1,600bht).

Payment refused.

Look in my Mobile App, credit limit 0bht.

Had to pay with my TMB VISA card, which had no problems with payment.

Another bloody trip to the bank ........ Grrrrrrrr.

Be aware BBL sometimes set totally crazy payment limits on new cards - my last UnionPay was set up to a  5,000 baht limit - used the phone service to reset (not easy as have to go through many menu choices and not all are obvious - found a sample on internet to follow and even that was not 100% right).  

41 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Be aware BBL sometimes set totally crazy payment limits on new cards - my last UnionPay was set up to a  5,000 baht limit - used the phone service to reset (not easy as have to go through many menu choices and not all are obvious - found a sample on internet to follow and even that was not 100% right).  

Yes, my BKB phone app said daily spending limit 0bht.

I've been to the bank since and had it changed to 20,000bht, so it might work now.

The guy in the bank had problems changing the limit over the phone as well, took him 20 minutes.

Edited by BritManToo

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

My four digit, Bangkok Bank Visa debit card still has about two years to run, I took it into a Bangkok Bank branch and asked them about it, they told be it was good until the expiry date.

You should be okay with that. I was told the same and had no problems until my card got skimmed and I had to have it replaced. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Matzzon said:
On 1/18/2020 at 12:00 PM, Just Weird said:

Out of curiosity, what would be a couple of those countries that you have been advised that Union Pay cannot be used in that Mastercard can be?

Somalia, Eritrea and Luxemburg 

No problem with Union Pay in Luxembourg.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

"Ironically"? China is buying influence across large swathes of Africa; Union Pay inevitably follows: http://www.rfi.fr/en/africa/20190207-Somalia-Chinese-deal-angers-fishing-communities-sparks-concerns-over-sovereignty-and

Yes, ironically, in this context.   The (vaguely humourous) context was Union Pay cards, not fishing and piracy!

"Union Pay inevitably follows..."

So you think that your serious speculation, based on nothing at all, that Union Pay will be expanding to Somalia would be a bad thing?  For whom?