Oil change, do you know if your car service shop drains or extracts oil from the top ?

rech

3 minutes ago, rech said:

You must drive a cheap old car.

All Benz dealers extract oil when it's possible and oil filter is on top.

That might be applicable to that specific brand model but not "in general" and who specifically said this was for/about Benz vehicles.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rech said:

You are so funny.

Really you cannot understand that it depends on each car ?

Try something called youtube and you might find many reviews where people check exactly how much oil is extracted compared to drained, and often more oil is extracted than by draining procedure.

Hey, you never watched the vid did you....You are so funny.....????

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rech said:

You are so funny.

Really you cannot understand that it depends on each car ?

Try something called youtube and you might find many reviews where people check exactly how much oil is extracted compared to drained, and often more oil is extracted than by draining procedure.

I see another topic you like to do things as cheap as possible, so are you doing this so you can change the oil yourself without using ramps? Because in Thailand the cost is so low the purchase of the gizmo would wouldnt be cost effective, so I am guessing you are not even in Thailand ?

if you are, what places uses these extractors? and dont give the nonsense about having a Benz yourself as that's ridiculous given you penny pinching on a satellite box !

Edited by Black Ops
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, transam said:

Hey, you never watched the vid did you....You are so funny.....????

Not all extractors are created equal and I certainly would not base my opinion on the method from one vid found on the internet.

Then you have cars that do not have oil filter access from above so they need to be raised and have any engine guards/plastics removed to do the filter so might as well drop the oil via the sump plug whilst its in the air.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Black Ops said:

if you are, what places uses these extractors? and dont give the nonsense about having a Benz yourself as that's ridiculous given you penny pinching on a satellite box !

Mazda and Ford dealerships use them and I suspect others do as well.

9 minutes ago, Black Ops said:

May be by some but not all, in my experience I have never seen that method used in Thailand. I have both those makes and 2 others.

My answer is based upon what Ive seen at the dealerships my previous employer owns.

In other words, the bean counters in some car dealerships have worked out the time saved in using vacuum extraction in terms of labor costs is more important than the well-being of the car's engine. But wait, there's more. A shorter life means they get to sell more expensive replacement parts and repairs to boot. It will be shorter, because an unknown quantity of used oil gets mixed up with the new oil put in.

My mechanic drains the oil while it is still hot. He changes the oil on my Vios every 5000 km, explaining to me the extra cost is worth it in terms of engine life.

If I ever saw a mechanic using a vacuum extractor, I would withdraw my car, and never go back to that dealership again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rech said:

Perhaps that's why Benz servicing costs are 2-3 times that of other makes.

1 hour ago, sucit said:

I have seen my oil drain out of the raised car many times here in Thailand. 

I did not know they vacuumed it out though that is interesting. I wonder if it is actually better, extracts more. 

It extracts more in the same way that Doctor Who’s tardis is bigger on the inside than the outside...i.e. fictional.

b

4 hours ago, rech said:

What part of drain the oil by removing the sump plug (handbook stipulation) do you not understand?

Feel free to quote the model and maintenance paragraph in your rebuttal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/17/2020 at 5:33 PM, rech said:

Sorry but it's clearly faster and easier for any mechanic to do it through dipstick hole....

And they'll of course get the oil filter out through the dipstick hole as well?

There's nothing better than a fully drained oil, old style, and metal pieces at the screw removed.

Unfortunately, do I have to tell them how much to fill in.

Whenever I have a 6 liter container, they usually believe it's okay to fill all in, but the engine only wants 5.5 liters.

Not enough oil is as bad as too much oil. 

It's important to let all old oil drain, as the rest usually contains tiny particles from engine wear.

How do you get that out with a stick? 

Edited by Isaanbiker
Time for an oil change.....
  • Like 1

As i have many many years of experience in the trade, i have never seen these used on vehicles, however i have used them on boat engines where not only is the sump plug, normally not accessible you don't want to end up with with a bilge full of oil.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, brianthainess said:

As i have many many years of experience in the trade, i have never seen these used on vehicles, however i have used them on boat engines where not only is the sump plug, normally not accessible you don't want to end up with with a bilge full of oil.

Edit :  I forgot to include the likes of excavators etc that my have a heavy under engine guard, and you don't want to lay on your back at a refuse site, been there done that, worst one for me was a fork lift at a abattoir with meat hanging from it, before i knew about these vacuum pumps. YUK !

• Sad 1

On 1/19/2020 at 4:03 PM, Lacessit said:

My mechanic drains the oil while it is still hot. He changes the oil on my Vios every 5000 km, explaining to me the extra cost is worth it in terms of engine life.

Cool if you're trying to get 500,000km out of the engine but how's the rest of the car going to be? By then you're likely to be tired of the car and ready for a fresh one.

Save your money. If you change the oil at the intervals described in the owner's manual, maybe 10,000km, the engine is still very likely to outlast other major components of the car.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Many years but not a lot of experience it seems. Extractors are used all over the world by more and more car dealers or service centers...

5 hours ago, KeeTua said:

Cool if you're trying to get 500,000km out of the engine but how's the rest of the car going to be? By then you're likely to be tired of the car and ready for a fresh one.

Save your money. If you change the oil at the intervals described in the owner's manual, maybe 10,000km, the engine is still very likely to outlast other major components of the car.

And we are talking about a Vios !!!

On 1/21/2020 at 1:51 AM, rech said:

Many years but not a lot of experience it seems. Extractors are used all over the world by more and more car dealers or service centers...

My wife arranged a dealership mobile service for her daily runner. They vacuumed the oil and replenished the oil.

Later I checked the oil level and it was above the hi-mark with a cold motor. The old oil hadn't been fully drained before replenishment and subsequently the new oil wasn't clean.

After a discussion I vented my frustration at the dealership manager and got the service redone at the dealership. Free of charge and I supervised. 

Oil pans have galleries to prevent scavenging during driving and there's no guarantee the suction tube has reached the lowest point. Nowadays motors tend to have a lower cover for aerodynamic purposes.

Opting to suck is purely a financial decision and it doesn't all come out come out without expertise..

Edited by alacrity
grammar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, alacrity said:

My wife arranged a dealership mobile service for her daily runner. They vacuumed the oil and replenished the oil.

Later I checked the oil level and it was above the hi-mark with a cold motor. The old oil hadn't been fully drained before replenishment and subsequently the new oil wasn't clean.

After a discussion I vented my frustration at the dealership manager and got the service redone at the dealership. Free of charge and I supervised. 

Oil pans have galleries to prevent scavenging during driving and there's no guarantee the suction tube has reached the lowest point. Nowadays motors tend to have a lower cover for aerodynamic purposes.

Opting to suck is purely a financial decision and it doesn't all come out come out without expertise..

There are oil sumps out there that in no way would allow any flexy tube to get to the sumps lowest point via the dipstick tube, my Pontiac was one.

So what happens, any pan sludge/<deleted> and a few litres of old oil are mixed up with the new.

In fact the folk that do this suction draining thing could be making extra money by using the old irremovable oil as part of the new refill and charging you for it.  

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

To make it clear as so many of you talk about what you do not understand and how things were done in 1920...

Just like boats, some modern cars are designed to have oil vacuumed and it can be totally extracted, maybe better than when you drain it on your car.

But I understand that modern time is not for everybody...

At least now you know.

3 hours ago, rech said:

To make it clear as so many of you talk about what you do not understand and how things were done in 1920...

Just like boats, some modern cars are designed to have oil vacuumed and it can be totally extracted, maybe better than when you drain it on your car.

But I understand that modern time is not for everybody...

At least now you know.

Your key word was "some"......