Debit card to pay Airlines

Neeranam

This is not visa related, so I'll move to th travel section.

Some airlines require the card used for purchase to be shown at check-in, the name "priviledged member" may be an issue.

A number of airlines don't acceptt vitual or pre paid cards, I've no idea why. 

• Thanks 1

Does not matter which bank issued it, if it has VISA or Mastercard on it then it should be valid worldwide. I do wonder about the reasoning behind the bank not putting your name on it? My SCB VISA Debit Card has no name, but I guess the imbeded chip identifies it as mine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, sharktooth said:

Depends on the issuing bank maybe and currency. Who are you with?

Krung Thai. Have a couple of other accounts but cards out of date.

Could Airways get a new Bangkok bank card, as I have internet banking with them, and Krung Thai

12 hours ago, theoldgit said:

This is not visa related, so I'll move to th travel section.

Some airlines require the card used for purchase to be shown at check-in, the name "priviledged member" may be an issue.

A number of airlines don't acceptt vitual or pre paid cards, I've no idea why. 

It's the card number that counts, not the name. I've not had a problem with my 'privileged member' card.

They won't accept virtual cards because there's no card to present at check in if asked for. Prepaid cards are of a temporary nature than cannot be readily traced back to the user, so fraudulent use is possible.

I have a malausian maybank debit card. No name on it.

Never a problem booking flights and accom on line.

But, last year was in US. Domestic flight paid etc but had to take extra luggage so went to check in counter. Told the extra fee. They wont accept cash. Hand over debit card and they dont accept it bevause it has no name.

Caused a lot of hassles. Had to rearrange stuff and ended up getting a locker for the extra stuff.

No idea why they didnt accept a card with no name. Its also a mastercard.

On 1/16/2020 at 7:57 PM, DaRoadrunner said:

Does not matter which bank issued it, if it has VISA or Mastercard on it then it should be valid worldwide. I do wonder about the reasoning behind the bank not putting your name on it? My SCB VISA Debit Card has no name, but I guess the imbeded chip identifies it as mine.

I ask this question to my KBank branch when I visit (hoping for a real answer) and always get the same response "falang debit card not have name printed". Leaves me with more questions -- one of which was why I couldn't get a special edition debit card design because it was for Thai people only.

• Thanks 1

On 1/16/2020 at 7:47 PM, theoldgit said:

Some airlines require the card used for purchase to be shown at check-in

Never had to show Emirates, Air Asia, NOK air, EVA the card used for purchase. And have bought tickets for my sons with MY card for them, no problems.

• Like 1

Have been doing it for ages with a Krungthai debit card (no name on it, but I just fill in my name), never had a problem with various airlines : with one exception I think it was Qatar airlines or something in that region who demanded either a credit card or a debit card issued by their banks. 

Why does one assume one's name is on a card when the subject matter is discussing nameless cards?

I use Kasikorn debit card for online transactions. The name is irrelevant.  Even airlines, when they ask for the card used for paying is not understood. I have paid for the wife to travel many times on my cards and have told her to get them to contact me if there is a problem. Never happened. They have the money.

For information on one of the posts here, a nameless card can be given at the bank, so the punter doesn't have to wait for 2 weeks for one to arrive at their address.

On 1/16/2020 at 7:57 PM, DaRoadrunner said:

It's not about if the debit card is a Visa or MasterCard. If you want it to work worldwide never apply for a debit card connected to TPN = Thai Payment Network. There is a quite big TPN logo on the cards. Those cards only work if the company/store/airline server is located in Thailand. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Scott Tracy said:

For information on one of the posts here, a nameless card can be given at the bank, so the punter doesn't have to wait for 2 weeks for one to arrive at their address.

It doesn't take 2 weeks in my experience (usually a day or two, pickup), but banks don't print/punch account holder names onto debit cards for non-Thais -- at least with KBank.

I think the questions/concern about it is fair enough -- usually it's only visa/mc gift cards that don't have names on them in western countries. Bottom line is that it doesn't make a difference for payment authorization, and anyone who needs to check the card (like at the airport apparently) would, at worst, ask for extra ID to confirm the payment/booking.

Edited by tom in bangkok