Debit card to pay Airlines

Neeranam

12 hours ago, tom in bangkok said:

It doesn't take 2 weeks in my experience (usually a day or two, pickup), but banks don't print/punch account holder names onto debit cards for non-Thais -- at least with KBank.

I think the questions/concern about it is fair enough -- usually it's only visa/mc gift cards that don't have names on them in western countries. Bottom line is that it doesn't make a difference for payment authorization, and anyone who needs to check the card (like at the airport apparently) would, at worst, ask for extra ID to confirm the payment/booking.

No bank in Thailand issues debit cards with embossed names since years back. And just like you said, the authorization process for example online purchases (incl worldwide), works exactly the same with or without an embossed name. Just stay away from TPN-connected debit cards and everything will be fine. 

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

I have purchased air tickets using my Kasikorn debit card.

That's because Kasikorns VISA debit cards aren't connected to TPN.  I also have a K-Bank VISA debit card and it works everywhere opposed to Bangkok Banks new MasterCard which is connected to TPN.

56 minutes ago, elgenon said:

I was told by EVA that they randomly check to see if you are carrying the credit card used to book your ticket. 

Why would that be officially required? You can have more than one debit card/credit card and maybe you're using another card when travelling. 

1 hour ago, elgenon said:

I was told by EVA that they randomly check to see if you are carrying the credit card used to book your ticket. 

In the good old days airlines would occasionally ask to see the credit card with which you paid for the ticket when first checking in. It hasn't happened to me for at least the past 5 years, and I travel often. I doubt many airlines still follow the practice

49 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

In the good old days airlines would occasionally ask to see the credit card with which you paid for the ticket when first checking in. It hasn't happened to me for at least the past 5 years, and I travel often. I doubt many airlines still follow the practice

I have paid my tickets using a debit card or credit card for maybe 40 years both private and on business trips. I have travelled a lot in my life and never ever been asked to show the card I used when buying the ticket when checking in,and never heard about that requirement. I doubt you can even find it in the fine prints. 

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

I have paid my tickets using a debit card or credit card for maybe 40 years both private and on business trips. I have travelled a lot in my life and never ever been asked to show the card I used when buying the ticket when checking in,and never heard about that requirement. I doubt you can even find it in the fine prints. 

It has happened to me many times. Some airlines require it. They so inform when you make the booking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

It has happened to me many times. Some airlines require it. They so inform when you make the booking.

I have travelled with a lot of airlines,and never been informed about the possibility to show my card when checking in. Sometimes I don't even carry the card I used for my ticket. I must be a lucky man. ????

3 hours ago, Max69xl said:

I have travelled with a lot of airlines,and never been informed about the possibility to show my card when checking in. Sometimes I don't even carry the card I used for my ticket. I must be a lucky man. ????

Same here. My only guess is that people get asked to show their card were flagged on their risk assessment software ????

To name but three, I'm sure there are others, I've been asked for sight of the CC used for booking on an ad hoc basis, I'm not sure if I'm flagged ot not.

Emirates T&C
Emirates reserves the right to verify the card used to pay for a booking made online by requiring the card to be presented at check-in.

Qatar

This varies from country to country, but in general you will need to provide:

A copy of the cardholder’s passport or state-issued ID

The credit card showing the first six and last four digits and masking the rest of the numbers

A scanned copy of the cardholder’s credit card statement showing the Qatar Airways transaction

Thai

Credit card verification
Thai Airways reserves the right to have physical credit card presented at Thai Airways ticketing office or during check in at the airport for your transaction which is flagged out by our tool. If such a requirement is needed, you will be given the option to collect by another card or payment method when credit card verification fails.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

To name but three, I'm sure there are others, I've been asked for sight of the CC used for booking on an ad hoc basis, I'm not sure if I'm flagged ot not.

Emirates T&C
Emirates reserves the right to verify the card used to pay for a booking made online by requiring the card to be presented at check-in.

Qatar

This varies from country to country, but in general you will need to provide:

A copy of the cardholder’s passport or state-issued ID

The credit card showing the first six and last four digits and masking the rest of the numbers

A scanned copy of the cardholder’s credit card statement showing the Qatar Airways transaction

Thai

Credit card verification
Thai Airways reserves the right to have physical credit card presented at Thai Airways ticketing office or during check in at the airport for your transaction which is flagged out by our tool. If such a requirement is needed, you will be given the option to collect by another card or payment method when credit card verification fails.

I have bought many tickets with Qatar and also with Thai Airways and never been asked to show the card I used when I bought the ticket. I don't know where you're from but showing a copy of your passport or ID when flying Qatar is not accepted. There are two reasons the passport is needed when checking in, as an ID and to check if you have a visa where you're going. Qatar doesn't like if you book a 60 days return trip to Thailand with no visa even if you explain you're going to extend your stay in Thailand. 

Have used an M Card from the Mall group which is "connected" through Siam Comercial Bank. 

It is VISA and has a 453X number which is VISA.

I always pay for extra baggage as one never knows what one will come back with!

Used with Air Asia and Philipines Air.

Edited by VocalNeal

34 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

I have bought many tickets with Qatar and also with Thai Airways and never been asked to show the card I used when I bought the ticket. I don't know where you're from but showing a copy of your passport or ID when flying Qatar is not accepted. There are two reasons the passport is needed when checking in, as an ID and to check if you have a visa where you're going. Qatar doesn't like if you book a 60 days return trip to Thailand with no visa even if you explain you're going to extend your stay in Thailand. 

My post was a direct cut and paste from the three carriers websites.

On 1/18/2020 at 8:01 PM, ThaiBunny said:

I got asked for the first time in my life going to Thailand in May. I asked her why she checked me and she said it was random.

On 1/20/2020 at 9:24 AM, Max69xl said:

The requirement of many airlines to selectively request presentation of the credit card used to make a  booking at check in is a fraud prevention tool and has been around for years.  I suspect that you have not seen it because you come from a low risk country, purchase through a travel agent or have some other characteristics that makes the airline think their money is safe.

You have misunderstood the bit about "A copy of the cardholder’s passport or state-issued ID" in the post you quoted.

I think you're more likely to be asked to show your card when you book shortly before travel. I've certainly been asked a few times.

Most important factor I've found using cards online is whether your bank sends an OTP for verification. If your bank doesn't support that additional step, some sites will automatically bounce you, since the transaction is riskier.

On 1/18/2020 at 12:39 PM, abrahamzvi said:

But I assume that your name is on the card. Isn't it?

There are no names on a Bangkok Bank VISA Debit card,and that's also the case with other banks debit cards. When paying/purchasing something online using a thai debit card, it doesn't matter if there's a name on it or not. VISA and MasterCard does a quick check every time you pay or buy something online when you enter the CVV-code. Your CVV-code has to match the card number and your name is connected to to the card through your bank. 

19 hours ago, treetops said:

The requirement of many airlines to selectively request presentation of the credit card used to make a  booking at check in is a fraud prevention tool and has been around for years.  I suspect that you have not seen it because you come from a low risk country, purchase through a travel agent or have some other characteristics that makes the airline think their money is safe.

You have misunderstood the bit about "A copy of the cardholder’s passport or state-issued ID" in the post you quoted.

Yes, I come from a low-risk country, and No, I haven't misunderstood anything in the post I quoted. I can't remember how many tickets I've bought online from different airlines,and that includes many many business trips. I booked maybe 90% of the tickets myself using debit or credit cards. I repeat, I've never been asked to show the card I used when I booked and paid my ticket. I always check in using my passport which is the easiest way and many times required. 

• Sad 1

Low risk country then usually OK as you've experienced.  My understanding is that debit cards are OK too.

The mention of a passport copy by theoldgit was from the airlines website (Qatar Airways) in a section about credit card verification, not identification required to fly with them as it appears you have interpreted it.  The full details, including the exact quote can be seen here.

https://qatarairways.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012319253-What-information-do-I-need-to-provide-for-credit-card-verification-?mobile_site=false