Dutchman jailed in Thailand for money laundering in NL is released

snoop1130

16 hours ago, Scot123 said:

I followed this and the headline is very misleading. Yes a letter was sent but it was a mistake. He made his money legally. His mistake was to flant it. I am shocked and very surprised that he has been released as all his assets have gone (some would say stolen). His story should be compulsory reading for any rich weastener thinking of retiring to Thailand. Very pleased he is out and look forward to his story (I hope his wife is with him so he can speak freely and truthfully). 

He was setup.by corrupt law eenforcment who paid the judge. Prayut 6 year term has been laughable 

Edited by tomauasia

13 hours ago, ukrules said:

I've read everything about this case.

He should not have been in prison at all, it shouldn't matter what the Dutch did, it was nothing to do with the Thais.

Where is his money now? Who owns his properties and cars?

Let me guess. The military and some cops, perhaps?

Thai authorities think that they can do what they want with us. 

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Nah, you'll probably fall off a balcony if you do.

This case is one of the greatest examples of, "never bring more money to Thailand than you need for immediate living expenses"

My Thai health insurance policy is to never be worth anything to any Thai if I'm dead (or in prison).

I'd rather leave than put 800k in a Thai bank account and risk my gf killing me to get it.

It's good that he's been finally released though.

Never trust a Thai and your ok

14 hours ago, ukrules said:

Where is his money now? Who owns his properties and cars?

Thousands and thousands of foreigners who have been extorted/ripped off in Thailand could ask that question too.

I often wonder what the total figure would be say over the last 30 years. Did that Irish guy in Phuket ever get anything back?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sweatalot said:

years in prison, all his posessions stolen. And that by a country that likes to call itself democratic and his justice system being a justice system. 

And it looks like he never will be compensated. Their should be thousands of dollars for each day in prison innocent. Even for that I would not like to bee one hour in a Thai prison.

Thailand destroyed his life.

He was shafted by the Dutch prosecution who claimed bogus charges, not by the Thai's. 

5 minutes ago, Kenchamp said:

Thousands and thousands of foreigners who have been extorted/ripped off in Thailand could ask that question too.

I often wonder what the total figure would be say over the last 30 years. Did that Irish guy in Phuket ever get anything back?

Money went to top brass of the cops division. He was the mastermind with the senior investigator. He dispersed the funds and assets how he chose to.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, ukrules said:

He never should have been arrested in the first place. It just shows how backwards and corrupt this place is.

Where is all his money and who owns his property/vehicles now?

??? It was the Dutch authorities who asked for him to be picked up. They have a treaty with Thailand regarding prisoner exchange.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sweatalot said:

years in prison, all his posessions stolen. And that by a country that likes to call itself democratic and his justice system being a justice system. 

And it looks like he never will be compensated. Their should be thousands of dollars for each day in prison innocent. Even for that I would not like to bee one hour in a Thai prison.

It would be nice to hear that he will sue the Dutch government for everything he lost, plus time in prison, and damages amounting to the rest of his earnings in future, seeing as how they instigated the letters which appear to be illegal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Common sense finally finds a foothold in the country. Everything he was ever accused of happened outside Thailand so his imprisonment was a travesty. I suspect he will be leaving minus all of his assets though, which undoubtedly will also never be received by the Dutch.

What common sense?  Common sense does not exist in any way or form in Thailand. 

17 hours ago, ukrules said:

He never should have been arrested in the first place. It just shows how backwards and corrupt this place is.

The article however says...

...Thai justice officials reportedly started investigating Van Laarhoven in 2014 following a letter from a Dutch public prosecution department official, informing the authorities he had earned his money selling marijuana and requesting help in a criminal investigation.

[ ... ]

...He also faces a criminal investigation in the Netherlands for money laundering.

‘The investigation will focus on tax fraud, membership of a criminal organisation and laundering €20m,’ a public prosecution department official said.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Nah, you'll probably fall off a balcony if you do.

This case is one of the greatest examples of, "never bring more money to Thailand than you need for immediate living expenses"

My Thai health insurance policy is to never be worth anything to any Thai if I'm dead (or in prison).

I'd rather leave than put 800k in a Thai bank account and risk my gf killing me to get it.

It's good that he's been finally released though.

not such a good idea to be with a gf who you think will kill you for such a small amount of money. avoid the bar girls perhaps. there are normal thai girls who come from good families...

• Like 1

The title is not correct,

He is not released but transferred to the Dutch government under the agreement that Dutch nationals can do part of their sentence in the Netherlands.

He has to do the remaining prison time in the Netherlands but adjusted to the Dutch standards for the crime involved.

As his crime is not proven yet in the Netherlands and the possible sentence would be lower then what he got in Thailand he will be most probable released.

But it was a disgrace in the first place to ask the Thai police to start a investigation while there was no charge from the Dutch prosecutor.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ukrules said:

Are you sure?  He's under investigation in Holland for money laundering also.

18 hours ago, ukrules said:

Are you sure?  You known that he hasn't been exonerated and still has to serve time in Holland, yes?

15 hours ago, ukrules said:

There's nothing wrong with flaunting your legally gained money if you choose to do so.

"legally gained money"?

Are you sure?  From the link...

"He also faces a criminal investigation in the Netherlands for money laundering.  focussing on tax fraud, membership of a criminal organisation and laundering €20m".  

18 hours ago, Scot123 said:

He made his money legally. His mistake was to flant it. I am shocked and very surprised that he has been released as all his assets have gone (some would say stolen).

"He made his money legally".

Really?  From the OP link,

"Once back in the Netherlands, Van Laarhoven will have to sit out some two years in a Dutch jail to complete his sentence, broadcaster NOS has calculated. He also faces a criminal investigation in the Netherlands for money laundering. ‘The investigation will focus on tax fraud, membership of a criminal organisation and laundering €20m,’ a public prosecution department official said.

Which is the "legal" part?

"I am shocked and very surprised that he has been released..."

Well, he's been released to continue his sentence in Holland under the prisoner exchange scheme, he has not been exonerated.

Edited by Just Weird

18 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Everything he was ever accused of happened outside Thailand so his imprisonment was a travesty.

So why does he have to complete his sentence in Holland if it was such a "travesty"?  He was released to Dutch authorities under the prisoner exchange scheme, not pardoned.

16 hours ago, sweatalot said:

"Their should be thousands of dollars for each day in prison innocent".

What?  He has not been found to be innocent!  He has to complete his sentence in Holland under the prisoner release scheme.

5 hours ago, hansnl said:

The Dutch are at fault and can expect a big compensation case.

As he has to serve the rest of his sentence in Holland, and he is still under investigation by the Dutch for criminal activity and money laundering to the tune of EUR20m, I doubt that there will be any compensation.

3 hours ago, ardsong said:

which translated  means , Justice dep. accuses coffeeshop-boss for white wassing of money via financial ghost constructions.

For me this indicates he is not free , though he will be not in prison waiting for his trial

"Once back in the Netherlands, Van Laarhoven will have to sit out some two years in a Dutch jail to complete his sentence, broadcaster NOS has calculated. He also faces a criminal investigation in the Netherlands for money laundering. ‘The investigation will focus on tax fraud, membership of a criminal organisation and laundering €20m,’ a public prosecution department official said".

Edited by Just Weird