Big C eyes Tesco's business in Thailand

snoop1130

Big C eyes Tesco's business in Thailand

By THE NATION

800_e9871fa87e3ceb0.jpg

Retail operator Big C Supercenter is keen on acquiring Tesco Lotus's business in Thailand to bolster its position in the market, said president Aswin Techajareonvikul, adding that the company had already made an offer to Tesco.

Tesco, one of the world's largest retailers, said last year that following inbound interest, it had commenced a review of the strategic options for its businesses in Thailand and Malaysia, including an evaluation of selling its interest in the two countries. 

The evaluation of strategic options is still at an early stage, no decisions concerning the future of Tesco Thailand or Malaysia have been taken, and there can be no assurance that any transaction will be concluded, it said in a recent statement.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30380658

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-01-16
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Apart from Tops, Villa, Foodland and Makro etc

these stores are for different groups of people makro aimed at small business and bulk buyers, the others aimed at the rich and foreigner

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

So we have TCC Group who already own Big C, now wanting to buy Tesco. Now where was the Competition watchdog which suddenly reared its head the other day???...

Must be Thailands most inactive positions, probably very lucrative to....

Essentially its a choice between Central, TCC and CP.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, zydeco said:

And just when you thought the selection of food items couldn't get worse . . .

Agreed, I have a Big C within 5 minutes of me, 99% of products are Thai with very little choice unless your buying rice, cooking oil or fish sauce, there's almost a whole aisle for each product.

Anything that's foreign is ridiculously expensive for foods or beverages..

and if you can believe it not even one hard cheese!!!!

• Like 2

Make no difference in people’s life what it will called they keep buying the same junks everyday just to promote and fulfill the other business chain the greedy healthcare and hospitals. I just can’t figure out what is the worthy part in it for you consumer folks, if you could give a reasonable explanation of doing this I’d appreciate it. 

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

these stores are for different groups of people makro aimed at small business and bulk buyers, the others aimed at the rich and foreigner

Never seen one foreigner in my local Foodland and some of the prices are cheaper than Big C, who often get them wrong

2 hours ago, legend49 said:

So the cartel gets smaller and will burst into a monopoly, watch the price rises.

Here in our area we have in 1 soi :2 jumbo's, 2 Tops, 2 Tesco's , 2 CP's and a large local market.

It would be much better if they all had 1 large supermarket or just 2 very large ones...Those small/mini supermarkets never have a good assortment and there's always things we need but aren't there.

Edited by Thian

2 hours ago, manicmike68 said:

There is a lot of Walmart and Costco in China. I wish they would come here to Thailand.

They refuse to pay people in high positions to come here and they are also aware that they would have to employ Thai Managers that are known Worldwide to be a complete waste of space in every business !

• Like 2

CP will be more than delighted ......... the fight of the titans; get popcorn and stay tuned. 

Whoever wins will cement a stronger monopoly-tasting "buy what we sell" rather than "sell what you want" at the usually overinflated prices ???? 

4 hours ago, nursebob said:

what, like 7/11

I have two 7 Elevens within 150 meters of my house. A third one is about 200. I go back and forth between the first two all the time, because items sold out in one can be found in the other. I never go to the third one anymore, however, because unlike the first two, they won't give me a plastic bag.

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Agreed, I have a Big C within 5 minutes of me, 99% of products are Thai with very little choice unless your buying rice, cooking oil or fish sauce, there's almost a whole aisle for each product.

Anything that's foreign is ridiculously expensive for foods or beverages..

and if you can believe it not even one hard cheese!!!!

To be honest, Lotus is going that way. Something happened about three years ago and they've been cleaning out what I used to consider the farang aisles. At least at my Lotus. No more canned salmon for salmon croquettes, no more taco shells, no more sour cream, no more white onions, and a reduction in pasta varieties.

Edited by zydeco

49 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

They refuse to pay people in high positions to come here and they are also aware that they would have to employ Thai Managers that are known Worldwide to be a complete waste of space in every business !

True about Thai managers. The Sheila at my local Tesco is a complete waste of space.

Unable to put correct prices on items.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1