BANGKOK
bahtboy

Need advice on receiving proceeds of BTC sale to my UK bank account.

Some months ago I bought Bitcoin through coins.co.th. using funds from my Thai bank account, and then transferred them to my Electrum wallet. I have my Electrum wallet installed on an Android tablet because I wasn't able to install Electrum on my laptop which is a Chromebook and at that time it wasn't available to download on a Chromebook. I use Google OS on my android tablet and am able to access my coins.co.th account on my android tablet via a Google bookmark which is synced from my chromebook. I use 2FA to access coins.co.th on this tablet, and have in the past transferred other BTC from Electrum to bx.in.th. and sold them on that platform at that time, the proceeds going to my Thai bank account. At some time in the future I know I'm going to want to sell my BTC but might want to get them credited to my bank in the UK. 

With this in mind, I had some spare time today and decided to explore other platforms to which I could transfer my BTC from Electrum, and on which I could then sell back to my UK bank. I found Binance and thought that it might be suitable, so I downloaded it on my android tablet. Now my inexperience and lack of knowledge kicked in....I had thought that Binance might want KYC info and have what I thought would be the necessary documents to hand i.e. UK passport and UK driving licence, but there seemed to be no request from Binance for these proofs as far as I could see, but they were asking for 2FA. OK.. I have Google Authenticator installed on my tablet, so I thought no problem, and when asked for an authentication code I clicked on my Google Authenticator icon and then typed the numbers given as quickly as I could into the space provided by Binance. I did this several times but each time I got an invalid message. Now I'm thinking that the numbers I was given by Google Authenticator were relevant only to coins.co.th which is the platform for which I originally downloaded the Authenticator, and that it doesn't work with any other platform/app. 

My questions...1) Would my assumption that the Google Authenticator I had already downloaded is only relevant to coins.co.th be correct?

2) How could I get the 2FA to work on Binance using Google Authenticator?

3) How could I get 2FA to work with Binance otherwise?

4) If I cannot get Binance to work for me, are there any other platforms that you would recommend to which I could transfer my BTC, and then transfer from there to my UK bank?

5) I have just looked on Play Store on my Chromebook and it seems that Electrum is now available to download there, BUT it is "Electrum SVR Wallet" by Quarty Boss, not just Electrum. I have downloaded it and opened it, and it asks me whether I want to "Create a New Wallet" or "Restore a Wallet", which I could probably do using the seeds from my original Electrum download on my android tablet. If this is a good option, I would like to get my BTC stored in an Electrum wallet on my Chromebook. I'm a bit scared to act on this because I'm in fear of somehow compromising the Electrum on my tablet which is working well. Consequently, I have uninstalled that new installation, but can obviously install again. Need I be concerned?

Finally, as you may have guessed from the above long winded post, I am an older guy who tries his best to understand, but because of my age I often find modern technology a bit daunting, so please, if anyone has good suggestions, please try to advise in clear, easy to understand terminology. 

Regards, and thanks in advance for any contributions. bahtboy.

You need to learn how to use google authenticator for multiple sites, it's simple and you can add many different sites into it at the same time - they show up on a scrollable list if there's too many different sites to fit on a single page.

Once you've done that you can then use binance.

Edited by ukrules

Thank you, ukrules. Could you please explain how to do that for me?

OK. In the absence of a reply, I have Googled and found a guide on coinsutra.com on how to use Google Authenticator with Binance. I was all excited until on my tablet, my installed version of Binance informs me that "Unfortunately Binance has stopped"! I've tried several times but with the same result. I'm now going to give it a miss for a few days as my brain is scrambled! Maybe someone could chirp in with some helpful information meanwhile. Thanks, bahtboy.

When using binance I just go to the binance.com website. I suggest simply creating a new account, you need to scan the 2 factor barcode, I do these on my phones and save a backup of the barcode just in case I need to repeat it in the future.

Adding an additional entry to google authenticator is simple, on my version (android phone) there's a red circle with a + symbol in it at the bottom right of the screen, you click this red button and it asks you if you want to scan a barcode or enter the key - follow one of those options and it will be active within seconds.

You also need to make sure the time is correct on your phone, if the time drifts by more than about 30 seconds then it will fail all the time - there is a sync option in the authenticator but it's in the menu - this time sync thing has caught many people out in the past but you definitely need to add in a new barcode first.

OK. Thanks again, ukrules. If I go to my tablet to create a new account with Binance I still get the message that "Unfortunately Binance has stopped". So I opened up my Chrome OS and typed Binance into Google and clicked on the link to Binance website. When it opened up I was given the option to create an account. I entered my details a little bit different to the one I had already created on their app yesterday. All went well until they sent a verification code to my email. I entered the verification code and a message came up "That code was invalid. Please try again". So now I really am confused. I'm thinking now that I'm going to try another exchange, but will give it a rest for a couple of days.

On 1/16/2020 at 6:10 PM, bahtboy said:

I could transfer my BTC from Electrum, and on which I could then sell back to my UK bank. I found Binance and thought that it might be suitable,

Can Binance transfer to your UK bank which needs to receive a fiat currency? I haven't got any bitcoin on there to try, but I couldn't see any option on the Binance web site explaining how to do this?

I have presumed all along that they would have a system in place to send proceeds of BTC sale to my UK bank account. HOWEVER, I have now had a bit of a spat with their customer services and have told them to close my account. Plenty of other options out there. This was their emailed reply to my request to delete my account:-

CS Irina (Binance)

Jan 20, 19:14 CST

Dear user,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Regarding your request to delete your account, please provide the information below as best as you can:
1. Account registration date
2. Account registration country and city
3. LV2 verification date
4. Commonly used IP
5. Commonly used device
6. Deposit records in your Binance account including tokens, amount and deposit date
7. Trade records in your Binance account including tokens and amount
8. One of your Binance deposit addresses

In addition to that, please provide us with the following photos and video for identification purpose:
1. Both sides of your ID card or driver license, or If you would like to provide your passport, please attach the information page only.
2. Selfie with ID card, driver license or passport information page.
3. A video in which you need to appear in it and hold the ID card, driver license or passport, and repeat this exact phrase clearly: "today is date/month/year, delete my Binance account xxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx

The video size should not exceed 20 Mb if you wish to submit it as an attachment in the ticket, or you can upload your video to your private confidential drive if it is relatively large and provide us the available link to verify.

The above-requested information will be exclusively used for identification purposes to reset LV2 verification for you.

Thank you for your understanding and looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Binance Support Team

Hahaha. I replied   "NO. Just close my account."

55 minutes ago, bahtboy said:

I have presumed all along that they would have a system in place to send proceeds of BTC sale to my UK bank account. HOWEVER, I have now had a bit of a spat with their customer services and have told them to close my account.

OK, so you cannot transfer to a bank I take it? I haven't tried.

I have sent BTC from my Electrum wallet to Bitkub who lets me cash out to THB at a Thai bank.

2 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

OK, so you cannot transfer to a bank I take it? I haven't tried.

I didn't say that. I've had bad service from them so I asked them to close my account before I explored whether I could send money to my UK bank account.

Sorry Bahtboy but I'm trying to get my head around the requirement to provide KYC verification TO CLOSE/DELETE AN ACCOUNT? This is absolutely unbelievable if true. So answer me this, had you already provided all of this information when you first opened the account or was your account just an email linked one i.e. no fiat currency ramp-on ramp-off facility. I'm assuming you have no crypto remaining on account with them, right?

If you have zero balance and you don't intend to ever use them again then is there any need to actually close it or have it deleted? Couldn't you save yourself the stress and just let it lapse through inactivity.

Curious to hear your reply as I have a real thing with these AML/KYC demands made by all of these government approved financial service companies these days. See my AML/KYC thread to understand where I'm coming from. 

I just don't understand the logic of them asking you to provide all of this personal information on exit....I agree with your reply to them, I would tell them to shove it too.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Conno said:

Sorry Bahtboy but I'm trying to get my head around the requirement to provide KYC verification TO CLOSE/DELETE AN ACCOUNT? This is absolutely unbelievable if true. So answer me this, had you already provided all of this information when you first opened the account or was your account just an email linked one i.e. no fiat currency ramp-on ramp-off facility. I'm assuming you have no crypto remaining on account with them, right?

If you have zero balance and you don't intend to ever use them again then is there any need to actually close it or have it deleted? Couldn't you save yourself the stress and just let it lapse through inactivity.

Curious to hear your reply as I have a real thing with these AML/KYC demands made by all of these government approved financial service companies these days. See my AML/KYC thread to understand where I'm coming from. 

I just don't understand the logic of them asking you to provide all of this personal information on exit....I agree with your reply to them, I would tell them to shove it too.

I hadn't even completed my attempts to verify my id with them on their app and had asked for help which they started to give by email. Some of the terminology they used was confusing to me and I explained that I am an older guy who sometimes doesn't understand technical terminology, or how to perform some tasks on my laptop which is, unfortunately, a chromebook. I wasn't able to send them the selfie video of myself holding my passport and "speak it out clearly, that "today is date/month/year, please verify for my Binance account xxx@xxx.com". They asked that the video should not exceed 20mb. My video was 56mb. At this time I had spent over 2 hours at my laptop trying to verify my id and then waited for another one and a half hours for them to reply to my email requesting help, at which point I decided that if their customer service was not satisfactory, I would probably find their app unsatisfactory, so I requested them to close the account. The rest is detailed in a previous post in this thread. 

Bahtboy -  OK I understand now. They were actually attempting to complete the initial account opening KYC requirements rather than requesting the same to delete an account. Yea it can be somewhat bewildering trying to wrap your head around this revolution, especially if you are getting on a bit. Good for you though even attempting to understand crypto, as most old dogs are not to keen on learning new tricks lol. I'm no youngster also by the way 😉