Frost at 1C: Chiang Mai catches a chill

snoop1130

Frost at 1C: Chiang Mai catches a chill

By The Nation

800_b8f7a5561dd9d62.jpg

There’ve been chilly mornings in Chiang Mai since the weekend, with the temperature averaging 14-20 degrees Celsius and never rising beyond 36.

At the lofty Kew Mae Pan Viewpoint on Doi Inthanon, though, the early-morning temperature last Sunday was a mere 1C.

The result was a carpet of frost – the frozen dew known in the North as “mei kab”. 

At the peak of the mountain it was a relatively balmy 5C.

Doi Inthanon National Park chief Kritsiam Kongsri said plenty of sightseers were revelling in the experience.

“We’re expecting a lot of campers and we hope they’ll make sure their cars are in good condition, because any breakdowns could cause traffic jams,” he said. 

“They should also make sure they bring warm clothing – it’s been cold here for many days.”

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30380657

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-01-16
  • Haha 1

-7 forecast tonight here in New Jersey and a pretty good wind chill to go along with that.  I just came from 5 years in San Diego CA and Palm Beach Florida, so this is taking a little getting used to.  My blood has definitely thinned since I grew up in New England when winter was fun and we looked forward to and shoveled snow for money!  But maybe thinner blood is better for my longevity!  Not too many weeks left of below freezing temperatures, and with just a 4 mile commute drive to work, I think I can survive this winter 

are there any ice hockey teams or leagues in Thailand?  Where I grew up, in the hot summers we would go behind the one ice rink we had in town and we could have snowball fights or carry off in our bicycle baskets as much ice scrapings from the zamboni as we could peddle off with.  Damn that was like 1972, the Bobby Orr era

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

are there any ice hockey teams or leagues in Thailand?  Where I grew up, in the hot summers we would go behind the one ice rink we had in town and we could have snowball fights or carry off in our bicycle baskets as much ice scrapings from the zamboni as we could peddle off with.  Damn that was like 1972, the Bobby Orr era

Yes!  There are ice hockey leagues in Bangkok.  There have been various groups playing for over 20 years.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1