Education Visa Rejection in Kuala Lumpur

Your English is excellent for a second language. Why don't you get a job teaching? The hiring season is right around the corner. Late March until mid May.

A few computer jrelated jobs about even!

You can write better than every Filipino I've ever known save for two.

I certainly would have told you it's a crapshoot. In fact, saw this post and came here to comment on the folly of even trying as you did but you've learned the lesson obviously.

Education visas are B S. They are the dread of the under fifties the way the income method is for retirees. It MIGHT work once but the idea it will carry you for years is a wet dream.

Edited by Number 6
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, olfu said:

My impression is that staying in your native country and saving money for future is best option.

Yes, you could save for years, looking forward to staying in Thailand more often. Then 8 months in they move the goal posts on the regulations. Then 14 months in (in time, not time in Thailand even) then they stop issuing the Visa type (in your home country) you had planned to use (at least for a number of years). Then 18 months in they make an alternative Visa Type non-viable by adding, a less than perfectly designed insurance requirement.

So you could do your suggestion and still end up feeling a bit disappointed. Timelines and plans can be derailed by random events, its like driving in Thailand....

Edited by UKresonant
  • Like 2

I think that the 2 times immigration asked you to return to your country may 

well be the reason behind your rejection.

As far as I'm aware, they only ask you to leave when you have stayed too long.

This may well put up a flag on your passport, although I'm not sure the embassy

issuing visas has access to the immigration database.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BritTim said:

There are two approaches to life:

• Spend your best years preparing for a comfortable retirement by staying in your home country and making work your priority.
  • Insofar as funds allow, travel the world and experience life when you are at the age when you can most enjoy it.

No and Yes.  Can you tell all of us which AGE we are at when we can MOST enjoy it.  In our 20's from a rich country?  Well, we would have the energy to enjoy it but lose out on bonding with friends back home and going back home with a massive insecurity (I"ve seen this a lot).  Or in our 20's and 30's trying to explain everyday to people why we are traveling and most have no identity and no past career and no respect for themselves and they are simply losers traveling.

Nobody has this answer, but I would say you are much better off traveling in your 40's.  You had a career, you have money, you have confidence, and of course you can enjoy it.  if you are fit at 30, you will be fit at 40.  

I'm talking about staying here for 6 months or more.  Yes, he can teach English as a non-native speaker, which means he will be further disrespected by many people at school comparing him to a native speaker.  He will also be paid much less.  From a pride point-of-view, I can't imagine this pleasant in your 20's.  or ever.  

• Like 1

A short story of me: I am from Barcelona (Spain), 29 years old, software engineer. 

The problem is that I don't see any viable option for me, as a young man, to live there long term.

Get a remote software job with your skills. 

Apply at one of 3 or 4 BOI registered umbrella companies for a legal tax paying work permit providing system. 

Pay taxes for 3 years, learn Thai, work toward the possible citizenship process that is available to people paying taxes. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ventenio said:

No and Yes.  Can you tell all of us which AGE we are at when we can MOST enjoy it.  In our 20's from a rich country?  Well, we would have the energy to enjoy it but lose out on bonding with friends back home and going back home with a massive insecurity (I"ve seen this a lot).  Or in our 20's and 30's trying to explain everyday to people why we are traveling and most have no identity and no past career and no respect for themselves and they are simply losers traveling.

Nobody has this answer, but I would say you are much better off traveling in your 40's.  You had a career, you have money, you have confidence, and of course you can enjoy it.  if you are fit at 30, you will be fit at 40.  

But people gain responsibilities.. wives, mortgages, homes even pets.. Which make the kind of freedom you have in your 20s very different.. Plus your tolerance to rough it and travel cheap is often greatly diminished. 

I do agree with you very much that every year spent in the developing world you fall further and further behind someone who is living in the west.. In work and career experiences and options, in savings and pensions, in also strange intangibles like culture art and development.. It can be done but only with those who really can make a lot in asia or who make so much in thier time in the west they have enough head start to waste. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LivinLOS said:

Apply at one of 3 or 4 BOI registered umbrella companies for a legal tax paying work permit providing system. 

Hasn't that business model come under scrutinize and effectively been shut down? I remember reading on here that Iglu (probably the most prominent of those umbrella companies) ran into trouble and had to stop hiring people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yokat said:

That's simply wrong, I work for a small BOI company that has been looking for software engineers in BKK for some time now, my boss is fond of western engineers but he doesn't see any fitting applicant. Check JobsDB and LinkedIn, it's full of companies ready to sponsor a skilled SE.

Regarding jobs as a programmer in Bangkok, the offers are quite pathetic.

There's 5!! jobs on jobdb that are willing to pay 100.000 THB which is already an absolute low salary for a programmer.

2 of them say this, explicitly: 

Thai nationality, Male or Female, Age 28-40 years old.

1 wants at least: 

5 - 15 years experience in software development

Another one:

At least 5 years experience in programming

That leaves him with what, like one available job in BKK? ...

There's not a single job paying over 130 000 THB.

You might as well work as a teacher. 

You seem to have a history of flouting the system and living on tourist visa's.

If you cannot meet the visa and financial requirements, Thailand doesn't want you here.

You have to find a way to meet the requirements, like everyone else, if you want to stay

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Exactly.. all those people abusing the tourist visas and then ED visas and then (whatever loop hole they try to exploit next) for long term stay on visas not designed for it, are making life worse for everyone else. 

I'm not pro perennial study visas but shouldnt the govt have legislated against abuse before? 

The OP could also open a Thai company and obtain a Visa that way but requirements for Work permits are changing daily too. Would these things be such issues without the nepotism? Hmmm 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Your English is excellent for a second language. Why don't you get a job teaching? The hiring season is right around the corner. Late March until mid May.

A few computer jrelated jobs about even!

You can write better than every Filipino I've ever known save for two.

The OP writes "A short story of me: I am from Barcelona (Spain), 29 years old, software engineer."

Did you bother to read it properly. Why do you think he is a Filipino?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, jimn said:

The OP writes "A short story of me: I am from Barcelona (Spain), 29 years old, software engineer."

Did you bother to read it properly. Why do you think he is a Filipino?

There was no implication that the OP was a Filipino.  The post you replied to was contrasting the OP's English to that of Filipinos often employed as English speaking teachers.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Caldera said:

Hasn't that business model come under scrutinize and effectively been shut down? I remember reading on here that Iglu (probably the most prominent of those umbrella companies) ran into trouble and had to stop hiring people.

I am unsure if they had issues.. I do know they are concentrating on thier core proposition which I believe is companies relocating remote tech workers in groups. 

When you look at the upsides for a scandivaian tech company, its huge.. 

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

There was no implication that the OP was a Filipino.  The post you replied to was contrasting the OP's English to that of Filipinos often employed as English speaking teachers.

Sorry Tim I beg to differ. The poster mentioned Filipino's in his post. I have just read it again, it it reads to me that he thinks the OP is a Filipino. No problem, not worth further discussion. 

• Sad 1

i went to KL other day for tourist visa.  i was successful thankfully

on the plane back to hua hin i met a guy who told me 4 people went to penang for ED visas and all 4 got refused.  He was trying for his first ED visa.  Similar age to OP

You are 29 yo software engineer...I suggest you drop everything else and concentrate your effort to get a software engineering  job with good future prospects. Once you get good experience and skills you can work everywhere. You can just buy Elite visa here and work remotely for a lot of major companies which allow remote work and pay competitively. Don't waste your time with ed visa BS, you'll regret it later. You are Spanish, you can get a job anywhere in Europe without the need of work permit.

The only bunch of software engineers I've seen around and their stay made a lot of sense was a group from Oz who were working on a startup, they were here on tourist visas and here the cash burns slower...but I don't believe this is your case.

3 hours ago, jimn said:

Sorry Tim I beg to differ. The poster mentioned Filipino's in his post. I have just read it again, it it reads to me that he thinks the OP is a Filipino. No problem, not worth further discussion. 

Is that a joke! Tim is completely correct. The post you refer to is in no way implying that he was thinking the OP is Filipino. 

Rather commenting on expert skills of English from a someone from Spain. 

Thinking OP has better comprehensive skills than you.

Siesasi....

Thanks for reporting your experience here because yours is the first such case I have read here.

Yes, immigration officers have been getting tougher on people staying long-term abusing their tourist visa starting from last year when I have seen many rejected cases reported in this forum.

I have also seen many people switching to education visa just to stay in Thailand but yours is the first case that was rejected. Maybe the Kuala Lumpur office was stricter, did you get back your application fees etc, and school fees from Bangkok?

What other long-term stayers did was to enter via other ports that is less strict (not Don Meung or Bangkok).

Edited by EricTh

6 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Siesasi....

Thanks for reporting your experience here because yours is the first such case I have read here.

Yes, immigration officers have been getting tougher on people staying long-term abusing their tourist visa starting from last year when I have seen many rejected cases reported in this forum.

I have also seen many people switching to education visa just to stay in Thailand but yours is the first case that was rejected. Maybe the Kuala Lumpur office was stricter, did you get back your application fees etc, and school fees from Bangkok?

What other long-term stayers did was to enter via other ports that is less strict (not Don Meung or Bangkok).

I can assure its not first case. More common is the reverse. Meaning after previous Ed visa then trying to obtain a setv. Yes I agree with your comment re DM.

One guy stuck in Saigon with exhausted visa exempt border entries and void stamp was able to fly Saigon to CNX. Obtained visa exempt. Why do folk do this.