Education Visa Rejection in Kuala Lumpur

On 1/16/2020 at 6:22 AM, Number 6 said:

Why don't you get a job teaching?

He is a software engineer, why he would take up a job in teaching?

11 hours ago, yokat said:

That's simply wrong, I work for a small BOI company that has been looking for software engineers in BKK for some time now, my boss is fond of western engineers but he doesn't see any fitting applicant. Check JobsDB and LinkedIn, it's full of companies ready to sponsor a skilled SE.

I think what he meant is he cant work because he does not have a work permit. Only people with Smart Visas can work without work permits. I am trying to set up an ECM software development shop in S curve industry (automotive). I have proposed to hire engineers from India all on Smart Visas. The Silicon valley VC firm I'm working with initially reluctant to approve the money because they think Thailand is not a suitable place for software development due to lack of skills. They recommended India where excellent developers with good English skills are plenty. They even arranged a 10-year business visa for me for India and I spent few months in two cities - Bangaluru and Hyderabad. These two cities have every fortune 500 companies in the world- from Microsoft, Amazon, Oracle, Cisco, Intel, Caterpillar, John Deere, SAS, Ford, GM, GE, you name it, they have a presence. However, I found India chaotic, filthy, and very disorganized compared to Thailand and in Thailand the government is promoting these S curve industries. India does not have equivalent Government promotion.

Edited by murikamba
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Is that a joke! Tim is completely correct. The post you refer to is in no way implying that he was thinking the OP is Filipino. 

Rather commenting on expert skills of English from a someone from Spain. 

Thinking OP has better comprehensive skills than you.

Thank you DrJack54 for putting me right. As I said its not worth worrying about. 

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

Siesasi....

Thanks for reporting your experience here because yours is the first such case I have read here.

Yes, immigration officers have been getting tougher on people staying long-term abusing their tourist visa starting from last year when I have seen many rejected cases reported in this forum.

I have also seen many people switching to education visa just to stay in Thailand but yours is the first case that was rejected. Maybe the Kuala Lumpur office was stricter, did you get back your application fees etc, and school fees from Bangkok?

What other long-term stayers did was to enter via other ports that is less strict (not Don Meung or Bangkok).

The thing that I find shocking is that I opted to switch to an Education Visa as a recommendation from an Immigration Officer. In fact, if he suggested a minimum possibilty of refusal, I wouldn't have applied for it. 

Luckily I got back the application fees from the Thai Embassy in Malaysia (300 MYR). I am now in touch with the language school trying to get back the tuition fee. In the contract there is a condition though: Education Visa application has a non-refundable cost of 6500 THB. I paid 20000 THB before coming to Malaysia (and would have paid the rest 10000 THB on return).

In conclusion, I expect to get 13500 THB back. If at school were really nice, they would pay me back the total tuition fees. But I don't expect they do so. 

Lesson painfully learned.

I wish Thai Government published an official document with maximum stay days for foreigners. Something as simple as:

Max. days of stay per calendar year for tourists  = X days 

It would be really easy to apply and Thailand will avoid long term turists the same way they are refusing them nowadays. The benefit is that tourists would avoid these unpleasant experiences.

Edited by siesasi

17 minutes ago, siesasi said:

The thing that I find shocking is that I opted to switch to an Education Visa as a recommendation from an Immigration Officer. In fact, if he suggested a minimum possibilty of refusal, I wouldn't have applied for it. 

Usually different immigration officers give different information so they are not reliable. I have even found different bank officers in Thailand giving me different  information which are wrong. 

Thailand is not like western countries where everything is written in black and white.

There is an unwritten rule you can't be in Thailand more than 180 days (6 months) in a year on tourist visa or visa exempt.

There has been many cases of rejection reported in this forum in the past few months.

I think it isn't fair that the education center forfeit any money that is not your fault. After all, they are the ones who assured you that your visa won't be a problem.

Apparently the education center lied, and you have every right to claim back every cent or you could threaten to bring this to immigration or police that they are scamming you.

These education centers are so afraid of losing their education visa school status that they will refund back your money. 

Try emailing them to get back your money, if they refuse, then wait a few months to fly back to Thailand and meet them face to face.

Edited by EricTh

On 1/16/2020 at 7:20 PM, BritTim said:

There is no logical reason why Thailand should wish to deter visitors like himself.

Actually there is. These are not tourists. They don't stay in hotels, don't travel around the country but actually trying to live here on low budget. While living here they use infrastructure built and maintained for local population without contributing anything to the country. Long term permits to stay are based on some sort of contribution. Those on business related work permit pay taxes. Those married or retired must show funds being brought into the country. Those with elite visas pay in advance big sums for the privilege to stay here. So basically if you don't fit into any of those categories and can't afford or not willing to pay for the elite visa Thailand still welcomes you as a tourist for a short period of time, but only for a short time

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Sounds like you spent all your money, then worked a bit, saved and then are about to spend all your money again.  That is NOT the way to save and invest for retirement.  You still have plenty of time to make plans and get stuff done, but just jetting off to Thailand for long periods of time with little to no income is likely to be a poor plan or more accurately a plan to be poor.  Not willing to stay in home country, take a steady job, visit Thailand for just 30 or 60 days a year if the company allows it?  Well, you need to think outside the box.  Are you good at your job?  I am an engineer BSME and MS Math, and contracted for 16 years and made enough to punch out.  I had to work in many different USA States, but I made sure I stuck to my plan and saved and invested and have been to Thailand 14 times now.  I just took a contract job because they threw a ridiculously high hourly rate my way and I will stick with that until I am bored with it.  Won't be more than a few months I think.   Many software jobs can be done online.  Still a bit of a sticky wicket when doing that in Thailand, but there are companies in Thailand that do hire expats.  Gosh there are huge manufacturing plants from many foreign companies, banks, etc.  I don't know what type of software engineer you are.  If online consulting or contracting, well maybe consider Cambodia next door and just visit Thailand a lot.  But you current work, travel, work scheme should be re-evaluated as you are approaching some prime earning years

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

Sounds like you spent all your money, then worked a bit, saved and then are about to spend all your money again.  That is NOT the way to save and invest for retirement.  You still have plenty of time to make plans and get stuff done, but just jetting off to Thailand for long periods of time with little to no income is likely to be a poor plan or more accurately a plan to be poor.  Not willing to stay in home country, take a steady job, visit Thailand for just 30 or 60 days a year if the company allows it?  Well, you need to think outside the box.  Are you good at your job?  I am an engineer BSME and MS Math, and contracted for 16 years and made enough to punch out.  I had to work in many different USA States, but I made sure I stuck to my plan and saved and invested and have been to Thailand 14 times now.  I just took a contract job because they threw a ridiculously high hourly rate my way and I will stick with that until I am bored with it.  Won't be more than a few months I think.   Many software jobs can be done online.  Still a bit of a sticky wicket when doing that in Thailand, but there are companies in Thailand that do hire expats.  Gosh there are huge manufacturing plants from many foreign companies, banks, etc.  I don't know what type of software engineer you are.  If online consulting or contracting, well maybe consider Cambodia next door and just visit Thailand a lot.  But you current work, travel, work scheme should be re-evaluated as you are approaching some prime earning years

Yes, you are right. That’s my approach so far and perhaps, as you are pointing out, I am doing it wrong. I don’t know, but it won’t matter in 100 years.

After graduating, I worked as a consultant in a S&P 500 company. I got bored to work for a bank and my idea back then was to launch my own software to support myself. Since I was very young and I didn’t have anything to loss, I decided to fly to SEA and give it a try there (first time I travelled outside Europe).

After messing around in SEA, I fell in love with Thailand but, as I said, couldn’t stay for long. I promised myself to be steady for a while, go back Barcelona, find a job as engineer (not as a consultant), try to save money and give a second try if I still had the idea of LOS in mind.

The truth is, after 2 years, I still wanted to go back to LOS.

Without a regular income, I am working in things that I consider important to me (maximising time as I want to spend it). I am not all day sipping cocktails in Koh Chang. I am most part of the day programming on my computer and that’s what I want to do.

I don’t go out at night, I don’t like parties, I don’t drink, smoke, etc. I like little things: like going to the gym or swimming for 1 hour every single day. Wearing light clothes, eating pad kra pao, drinking moo latte caramel from Dairy Queen... 

My dad has worked all his life. Never travelled outside the country, he always has been in a financially good position, but he always liked to spend  his money in other things. It’s ok for me, everyone is different. When he came to visit me to Thailand, he told me that he needed to do that before. You needed to see him, driving a motorbike in Phuket after more than 20 years without doing it. It was fantastic.

As someone wrote in the thread, there are two approaches in life: save until retirement and spend after that, or spend as you go responsibly if you have enough to spend.

First approach means I could work more years and save more money but that wouldn’t change what I enjoy to do. I would still do the things I am doing right now.

I love to spend my time as I want. It’s the only thing that makes me feel rich.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

Actually there is. These are not tourists. They don't stay in hotels, don't travel around the country but actually trying to live here on low budget. While living here they use infrastructure built and maintained for local population without contributing anything to the country. Long term permits to stay are based on some sort of contribution. Those on business related work permit pay taxes. Those married or retired must show funds being brought into the country. Those with elite visas pay in advance big sums for the privilege to stay here. So basically if you don't fit into any of those categories and can't afford or not willing to pay for the elite visa Thailand still welcomes you as a tourist for a short period of time, but only for a short time

I see you have been drinking the Kool-aid!!  What a shame and an embarrassment.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

There is an unwritten rule you can't be in Thailand more than 180 days (6 months) in a year on tourist visa or visa exempt.

That unwritten rule is not applied at all entry points, and there are variations on that rule at the places where it is applied. It is currently necessary to understand the prevailing policy of the specific fiefdom in control of the entry point you intend to use. Almost all land crossings and some airports continue to apply the law as it is written.

1 hour ago, siesasi said:

This comment really resonated with me. There's nothing like knowing that all 24 hours of the day are yours, and you can use them as you like.

You need to be responsible to live like this and need to have adequate financial reserves and an awareness of financial planning and the future.

Given that there's a growing movement away from the idea of a 9:00 - 5:00 work day, I think more and more people will be keen to lead this sort of lifestyle.

Relating this all back to the OP, he is ahead of the game.

2 hours ago, siesasi said:

Yes, you are right. That’s my approach so far and perhaps, as you are pointing out, I am doing it wrong. I don’t know, but it won’t matter in 100 years.

After graduating, I worked as a consultant in a S&P 500 company. I got bored to work for a bank and my idea back then was to launch my own software to support myself. Since I was very young and I didn’t have anything to loss, I decided to fly to SEA and give it a try there (first time I travelled outside Europe).

After messing around in SEA, I fell in love with Thailand but, as I said, couldn’t stay for long. I promised myself to be steady for a while, go back Barcelona, find a job as engineer (not as a consultant), try to save money and give a second try if I still had the idea of LOS in mind.

The truth is, after 2 years, I still wanted to go back to LOS.

Without a regular income, I am working in things that I consider important to me (maximising time as I want to spend it). I am not all day sipping cocktails in Koh Chang. I am most part of the day programming on my computer and that’s what I want to do.

I don’t go out at night, I don’t like parties, I don’t drink, smoke, etc. I like little things: like going to the gym or swimming for 1 hour every single day. Wearing light clothes, eating pad kra pao, drinking moo latte caramel from Dairy Queen... 

My dad has worked all his life. Never travelled outside the country, he always has been in a financially good position, but he always liked to spend  his money in other things. It’s ok for me, everyone is different. When he came to visit me to Thailand, he told me that he needed to do that before. You needed to see him, driving a motorbike in Phuket after more than 20 years without doing it. It was fantastic.

As someone wrote in the thread, there are two approaches in life: save until retirement and spend after that, or spend as you go responsibly if you have enough to spend.

First approach means I could work more years and save more money but that wouldn’t change what I enjoy to do. I would still do the things I am doing right now.

Sure. I understand,  But how do you intend to fund your lifestyle?  Marriage plans?  family plans?  Retirement plans?  "Let's live tonight like we're gonna die young" is fun, but you are likely to get hammered later on with real world issues.  Medical insurance?  Travel accident insurance?  Live long with no retirement at all?  I get the live and work and die and never have done anything or gone anywhere argument.  All very good points.  Just be aware of how you may be pigeon holing yourself, and limiting yourself.  You are not, have not, and will not be the only person who has fallen in love with Thailand.  I sure did after my first trip in 2004.  I planned then to be able to retire there, and now I can.  But had I punched out earlier, I would have vastly less resources than I do now, I might easily have struggled and lost a lot of money trying to do business(es) in Thailand.  I would now be stuck with constantly changing for the worst immigration issues, insurance issues, etc.  Things change.  Sure I would have had more fun.  But my engineering jobs have been OK. I do enjoy engineering since that is what I educated and trained for.   Now, well, I am probably going to really semi-retire after doshing up on cash and experiencing a New Jersey winter for a few months.  I already know I won't stay here.  But at $130/hour, and part of that is tax free per diem, well, at some point you have to make hay while the sun is shining as they say. 

If you plan to live a very modest lifestyle, that's great.  but it still costs money.  On and off work then play probably is not the best way to balance things.  I recommend a better RMS path be found.  You will have less stress and worries and will have resources.  It is hard to help others if you yourself are not in a good living and financial position.

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

That unwritten rule is not applied at all entry points, and there are variations on that rule at the places where it is applied. It is currently necessary to understand the prevailing policy of the specific fiefdom in control of the entry point you intend to use. Almost all land crossings and some airports continue to apply the law as it is written.

There is also the following from the Thai Embassy in London:

Foreigners who enter Thailand under this Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme may only do so for 30 days at one time with a maximum of 3 times in a 6-month period by flight and 2 times a year for overland crossing.

1 hour ago, lmxcredt said:

Foreigners who enter Thailand under this Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme may only do so for 30 days at one time with a maximum of 3 times in a 6-month period by flight and 2 times a year for overland crossing.

Old rule that has been superseded. The 2/year land crossing Visa Exempt limit still applies. 

1 hour ago, lmxcredt said:

They also write this about visa exempt entry in their FAQ:

1. I would like to go to Thailand for vacation for 2 weeks. I hold British passport. Do I need a visa?

Nationals of the United Kingdom and over 40 other countries are eligible to travel to Thailand, for tourism purpose, with the exemption of visa and are permitted to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 30 days. Therefore, you do not need a visa.

However, please make sure that you are in possession of a passport valid for at least 6 months, a round-trip air ticket, and adequate finances equivalent to at least 20,000 Baht (450 pounds) per person or 40,000 Baht (900 pounds) per family. Otherwise, you maybe inconvenienced upon entry into the country.

Furthermore, foreigners who enter Thailand under this Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme may re-enter and stay in Thailand for a cumulative duration of stay of not exceeding 90 days within any 6-month period from the date of first entry.

Errors:

• The required finance is 10,000 baht for individuals and 20,000 baht for families. I ignore the fact that they use the wrong exchange rate for UK pounds).
  • There is no rule about 90 days within a 6-month period, though a regulation almost the same was on the books for a short period about a decade ago.
  • There is no rule you must have a passport valid for six months as far as Thai immigration is concerned. You only need a passport valid for the duration of your planned visit. Admittedly, it is unwise to travel with a passport with less than six months validity, but it is not a requirement.

This is quite typical of errors found within the London Embassy site. I am not trying to pick on them. Almost all Thai consulate sites are riddled with comparable (though usually different) errors. I would just point out that you should be extremely sceptical of anything written on Thai embassy/consulate websites, and believe anything consular officials tell you only insofar as it relates to the services they provide themselves.

8 hours ago, siesasi said:

"In November 2019, when I was stopped at the immigration control, I was invited to go back to my country beacuse I had three Tourist Visas on a row." Did immigration end up letting you back in the country after you pleaded with them and said you had a Thai gf or did they send you back?

12 hours ago, gearbox said:

The only bunch of software engineers I've seen around and their stay made a lot of sense was a group from Oz who were working on a startup, they were here on tourist visas and here the cash burns slower...but I don't believe this is your case.

It's wankkkers like that who are abusing tourist visas by working illegally who are making it harder for all the genuine non-working tourists to enter Thailand.

Edited by bbi1

10 hours ago, murikamba said:

He is a software engineer, why he would take up a job in teaching?

Because he *loves* Thailand and wishes to stay?! He can teach IT and code in his free time. Sounds perfect to me. Stable income for freelancer, visa security, bank account...

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, siesasi said:

Theres a lot more than simply work hard be rich late or take it easy and travel and be poor.. 

Leverage you skill set.. Build a income stream and structure about your earnings. 

The bar for an elite visa is not that high, the bar to working remotely legally is not that high, or other countries provide far easier routes to the same lifestyle (PI etc is really easy and very varied as a country.. if you dont have relationship commitments its a solid alternative).  

5 hours ago, mstevens said:

Relating this all back to the OP, he is ahead of the game.

Sorry but people have been dropping out of the rat race since forever and commonly since 60s and the goa hippy trail etc.. Some go back some dont. 

Every year in your 20s and 30s you remain in Thailand you fall further behind someone in the west, further behind in employability, in personal growth, in networking for entrepreneurship, etc etc.. I have seen guys come in thier early 20s with a small nestegg, the kind of thing that put them way ahead of thier peers in the west.. After 5 - 10 years its blown, they have no job, no skills, no resume, some bad tatts and no idea of what to do next.. Its a bleak return or a pattaya condo skydive for them.. 

Same with guys coming in thier 40s with half a retirement, going back in late 50s must look bleak.. 

Keep a foothold in the real world, travel sure, maybe keep a toe hold in the developing world too if you can afford both, but dont let the desire to be lazy cut you off from the huge income potential of the west. 

5 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Sure. I understand,  But how do you intend to fund your lifestyle?  Marriage plans?  family plans?  Retirement plans?  "Let's live tonight like we're gonna die young" is fun, but you are likely to get hammered later on with real world issues.  Medical insurance?  Travel accident insurance?  Live long with no retirement at all?  I get the live and work and die and never have done anything or gone anywhere argument.  All very good points.  Just be aware of how you may be pigeon holing yourself, and limiting yourself.  You are not, have not, and will not be the only person who has fallen in love with Thailand.  I sure did after my first trip in 2004.  I planned then to be able to retire there, and now I can.  But had I punched out earlier, I would have vastly less resources than I do now, I might easily have struggled and lost a lot of money trying to do business(es) in Thailand.  I would now be stuck with constantly changing for the worst immigration issues, insurance issues, etc.  Things change.  Sure I would have had more fun.  But my engineering jobs have been OK. I do enjoy engineering since that is what I educated and trained for.   Now, well, I am probably going to really semi-retire after doshing up on cash and experiencing a New Jersey winter for a few months.  I already know I won't stay here.  But at $130/hour, and part of that is tax free per diem, well, at some point you have to make hay while the sun is shining as they say. 

If you plan to live a very modest lifestyle, that's great.  but it still costs money.  On and off work then play probably is not the best way to balance things.  I recommend a better RMS path be found.  You will have less stress and worries and will have resources.  It is hard to help others if you yourself are not in a good living and financial position.

gk10002000,

Thanks for the response. I am going to reevaluate my path; your words are resonating with me.

Getting a job as an engineer and stick with it for a long time is what probably I need. If I get good enough and I am lucky, doors will open and maybe I can punch out at a reasonable age.

My actual position is not optimal, since I don’t want to deal with immigration issues and burning my cash on a daily basis isn’t great either.

• Like 1

Siesasi, if you love Thailand and want to live there for at least a couple of years, your path is right. There is never an optimal position in life.  

At your age I would take the Elite Visa route. It doesn't come cheap but gives you peace for 5 years.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

Thailand still welcomes you as a tourist for a short period of time, but only for a short time

You have hit the jackpot on this.

Unfortunately, there are still many so-called 'tourists' who are gaming the system to stay long-term in Thailand and not getting the correct visa.

Immigration are trying to close all the loopholes recently.

Edited by EricTh

Have you looked at Software Engineering jobs. Look at Glassdoor. The likes of Agoda offer relocation packages: "Role open to local and international applications - full visa sponsorship and relocate package available."

Good luck.

He never said the name of the school except that it’s near Asoke. Sounds like another Pro Language student was rejected for their ED visa. I’ve read a few others posts on here from students at that school that were denied the ED visa. But he hasn’t said if that is the school or not but it’s a stones throw from Asoke.

20 hours ago, murikamba said:

I think what he meant is he cant work because he does not have a work permit. Only people with Smart Visas can work without work permits. I am trying to set up an ECM software development shop in S curve industry (automotive). I have proposed to hire engineers from India all on Smart Visas. The Silicon valley VC firm I'm working with initially reluctant to approve the money because they think Thailand is not a suitable place for software development due to lack of skills. They recommended India where excellent developers with good English skills are plenty. They even arranged a 10-year business visa for me for India and I spent few months in two cities - Bangaluru and Hyderabad. These two cities have every fortune 500 companies in the world- from Microsoft, Amazon, Oracle, Cisco, Intel, Caterpillar, John Deere, SAS, Ford, GM, GE, you name it, they have a presence. However, I found India chaotic, filthy, and very disorganized compared to Thailand and in Thailand the government is promoting these S curve industries. India does not have equivalent Government promotion.

Edited 20 hours ago bBut what India has  is the ability to sty there legally and make moneuy murikamba

But what India has  for you is the ability to stay legally- a Visa. Thailand has nothing but outdated bureacracy.

Let;'s face it- the only thing  people want from Thailand is the women. For those who have ladies, marry them if you love them, and go to a country where you can make a lot of money; save it; start a family and foregt about Thailand except on vacations.  

The future in Thailand for people in their 20s and 30s and even 40;s is limited; low salary; constant problems from immigration.

Don;t get trapped into believing  Thailand is what you think it is. It is completely different  than what you see.  Make your money; come back; learn Thai and then make up your mind based upon a real knowledge of what is going on.

siesasi,

as a software engineer there are plenty of well-paid jobs throughout Europe and the rest of the western world even if you want to work remotely.

Wouldn't it be an option to get such an employment, then buy yourself an Elite Visa for five years and work from here?

That would give you enough time to find out if LOS really ist the place you want to be and even if it was "illegal" - what I doubt - who ever could know about? There's absolutely no negative impact to Thailand, its labour market or its society.

Seems to me a far better and safer way than living on ED-visas with constantly changing rules.

Though I stay here on retirement visas I'm still working remotely for my (own) german company  without any issues.

Edited by JustAnotherHun
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

... and even if it was "illegal" - what I doubt - who ever could know about?

100% agree, the only ones that get found out blab about it. Don't mention it to anyone and no issues.

12 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Though I stay here on retirement visas I'm still working remotely for my (own) german company  without any issues.

Ooooooooops   :coffee1:

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, rabang said:

My advice would be to find a well paying job in the EU, shouldn't be too hard. Work maybe 5 or 6 years to gain experience and make more money. The OP has still plenty of time to enjoy Thailand a bit later in his 30's.

This is a reasonable point of view. Let me present a different viewpoint.

If someone had decided 5 or 6 years ago, that they would like to spend a couple of years enjoying themselves in Thailand, they could easily have done so. Unlimited visas were available at some places in the region. If that same person had postponed their time in Thailand, they would have found it a much less easy experience later. Further, Thailand has been changing. It is hard to predict what the country will be like in 5 or 6 years time. It might be better. It might no longer be somewhere you would want to spend time.

I am of the opinion that, if you really want to do something, it is better to grab the opportunity while it exists. People generally overestimate their ability to predict the future.

I agree that it is tough for a young fella.

I think you should have applied for a visa of some kind in your home country.

In saying that whatever you work at in Thailand is not going to allow you to add to your "nest egg "but basically survive.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do but at your age in the modern world you

need to save. (Even I with my being away from my home country too long do not qualify for any pension of any kind.

Some advice for younger people ,,,Pensions from "welfare state countries" are going to diminish & could in 20 years completely disappear.

The UK (for example) cannot sustain the old age pension for much longer. It has become unstastainable hence my advice start looking after yourself