Australian tourism industry seeks urgent help as cost of bushfires grows

snoop1130

9 minutes ago, Mick501 said:

Not sure if you repeatedly post irrelevant graphs because you don't understand their relevance, or is it deliberate attempt to mislead?  Anyway, here's some recent information from an AUSTRALIAN electricity company.  It is in really simple terms so you should be able to understand.  In summary,  Coal = cheap.  Renewable = not cheap.  

By by the way, this company has committed to 100% renewable, but in a far more realistic time frame, determined by the market.  In their case it is 2050.

https://www.originenergy.com.au/blog/electricity-generation-in-australia/

Here's a statement from the President of Origin Energy, the company you linked to. It was made about 14 months after the page you linked to was created:

"Calabria said new investment in flexible generation is required, as solar and wind is already pushing coal out of the market, as the renewable technologies are able to deliver electricity at a lower cost."

https://reneweconomy.com.au/propping-up-coal-not-the-answer-for-grid-turning-to-wind-and-solar-says-origin-99910/

14 minutes ago, Mick501 said:

Not sure if you repeatedly post irrelevant graphs because you don't understand their relevance, or is it deliberate attempt to mislead?  Anyway, here's some recent information from an AUSTRALIAN electricity company.  It is in really simple terms so you should be able to understand.  In summary,  Coal = cheap.  Renewable = not cheap.  

By by the way, this company has committed to 100% renewable, but in a far more realistic time frame, determined by the market.  In their case it is 2050.

And there's also this:

With Most Electricity From Renewables, South Australia Has Lowest Utility Cost

Hugh Saddler, the author of the monthly audit and an associate professor at the Australian National University, tells The Guardian that wind and solar power supplied more than 50% of the electricity generated in South Australia for most months over the past two years. “That’s made electricity in SA the cheapest in the national electricity market and dramatically increased reliability.”

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/12/24/with-most-electricity-from-renewables-south-australia-has-lowest-utility-cost/

31 minutes ago, Mick501 said:

Current prices of solar panels (not just cells) is at 20cnt/Kwh when ordered from Alibaba.

I was quite stunned how low the prices has dropped since I last checked the prices last year.

https://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb=y&IndexArea=product_en&CatId=&SearchText=solar+panel

While coal has been traditionally cheap, it's overall costs are high. The pollution and CO2 added to the atmosphere also do cost money, like dismantling nuclear power plants. In case of nuclear power, that cost is embedded to the price of produced electricity. In case of coal it's not. 

Coal really is the worst type of stored power, we could possibly use. Oil and gas are coming after coal. 

Let's be realistic about base energy needs and also let's be realistic about climate change and pollution of our living spaces. Nobody want entitled monkeys who are keen to get rich to <deleted> on our living rooms. I don't. Do you?

That is what is currently happening and it's not right thing to do. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Yes, your team is in power. It is doing a s**t job. It is fudging its emissions targets with carryover credits from Kyoto. It is crippling Australia with its blind insistence on a budget surplus. The housing sector is distorted with negative gearing. Minimizing economic harm? LOL.

In a few years, Australians will look back on the past decade and mourn it as lost opportunity. All because the COALition was infiltrated and taken over by the coal lobby. ScoMo waving a lump of coal in Parliament was just the tip of the iceberg. It's called state capture.

Think about it. Australia gets more sunshine than just about anywhere else on the planet. Why are we also-rans w.r.to solar power? We should be world leaders.

Think about it. CSIRO punches well above its weight in science. Every time the Liberals are in power, CSIRO gets the death of a thousand cuts.

You are wrong when you say nothing can be done. Read up on the Montreal Protocol, the most successful environmental initiative to date which is currently bearing fruit. Check out the energy security of South Australia, much improved by embracing TESLA battery storage. That's the future. Who would have thought a smartphone would have more computing power than a mainframe of the eighties?

I've read a few of your diatribes. The main thrust of them is labelling anyone with a different opinion as a leftist. The classic dishonest ad hominem argument which attacks the person, not the opinion they express.

OK. Here's a challenge for you. Can you define the Second Law of Thermodynamics without Google? And if you did, would you understand its significance in climate change?

Yes, I have read Alan Finkel's comments. Odd that the current government studiously ignores them, just as they have done with Ross Garnaut. We are paying the price now.

I have complete respect thT you and other far left proponents are entitled to your opinions, no matter how wrong or ill conceived.

38 minutes ago, Mick501 said:

I have complete respect thT you and other far left proponents are entitled to your opinions, no matter how wrong or ill conceived.

And while I respect all thaivisa members, trolling comments like yours here with absolutely no facts to back it up are not worthy of respect. You have been refuted time and time again in this thread, and simply move on without acknowledging said refutation. I particularly enjoyed your link to a web page of Origin Energy, an Australian power producer, which I countered with a statement from it's President that solar and wind are driving coal out of the market because they are able to deliver electricity at a lower cost. This explicitly refutes your contention that coal produced electricity is cheaper than that produced by wind or solar.

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

And while I respect all thaivisa members, trolling comments like yours here with absolutely no facts to back it up are not worthy of respect. You have been refuted time and time again in this thread, and simply move on without acknowledging said refutation. I particularly enjoyed your link to a web page of Origin Energy, an Australian power producer, which I countered with a statement from it's President that solar and wind are driving coal out of the market because they are able to deliver electricity at a lower cost. This explicitly refutes your contention that coal produced electricity is cheaper than that produced by wind or solar.

I have complete respect that you and other far left proponents are entitled to your opinion, no matter how wrong or ill conceived that might be.

42 minutes ago, Mick501 said:

I have complete respect that you and other far left proponents are entitled to your opinion, no matter how wrong or ill conceived that might be.

The above is a troll's version of a white flag.

Edited by bristolboy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mick501 said:

Far left? It is mainstream now, have you not noticed?

Your post reminds me of the Flanders and Swann line from their song, The Reluctant Cannibal.

"Always be sincere, whether you mean it or not".

11 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Far left? It is mainstream now, have you not noticed?

Your post reminds me of the Flanders and Swann line from their song, The Reluctant Cannibal.

"Always be sincere, whether you mean it or not".

The dilemma for mick501 is that he's been left behind by history. There was a time when denialists could claim that solar and wind were too costly. (That wouldn't take into account what economists call externalites nor the consequences of a warming planet) Certainly solar and wind were far more costly than fossil fuels. But those days are past. So the denialists are bereft of legitimate arguments in favor of building more coal plants or even more natural gas plants. Renewables are already outcompeting gas peaker plants and in some instance gas plants. Given the rapid decrease in cost of renewables  and the rapid rise of battery storage capacity (not to mention other promising storage technologies) coupled with rapidly declining costs,  what can they do but invoke those outdated truisms and hope that nobody notices that their shelf life has expired? I'm afraid it's a case of fossilized arguments for fossil fuels.

Edited by bristolboy
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

They are in Europe

And in the USA:

Wind, Solar To Dominate New U.S. Power Capacity This Year

Wind and solar power will dominate the electricity generation additions across the United States in 2020, accounting for an overwhelming 76 percent of all new capacity set to begin commercial operation this year, the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) said on Tuesday...  

New wind capacity additions will account for 44 percent of all U.S. electric capacity additions in 2020. Solar power will account for 32 percent of additions and natural gas additions will represent 22 percent of all new U.S. capacity. 

https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/Wind-Solar-To-Dominate-New-US-Power-Capacity-This-Year.html

5 hours ago, bristolboy said:

The dilemma for mick501 is that he's been left behind by history. There was a time when denialists could claim that solar and wind were too costly. (That wouldn't take into account what economists call externalites nor the consequences of a warming planet) Certainly solar and wind were far more costly than fossil fuels. But those days are past. So the denialists are bereft of legitimate arguments in favor of building more coal plants or even more natural gas plants. Renewables are already outcompeting gas peaker plants and in some instance gas plants. Given the rapid decrease in cost of renewables  and the rapid rise of battery storage capacity (not to mention other promising storage technologies) coupled with rapidly declining costs,  what can they do but invoke those outdated truisms and hope that nobody notices that their shelf life has expired? I'm afraid it's a case of fossilized arguments for fossil fuels.

Change is never painful, only your resistance to change is painful— Zen Proverb

11 hours ago, bristolboy said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-15/denham-near-shark-bay-first-wa-town-to-be-powered-by-hydrogen/11870472?WT.ac=statenews_wa

4 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Therefore?

Therefore he wants to use coal and pay the higher cost to use it and sod the rest.

Luckily the young generation are onto it and more educated on the subject. Resistence will die out with the pensioners demise.

• Haha 1

On 1/17/2020 at 7:03 AM, jaiyen said:

Western Australia is not affected by fires. It is a lovely place. I live in Perth. Only a 6 hour flight from Thailand.  

Sure. $800 return flight from Sydney to Broome, same price as return ticket to Dubai, then $40 per night non-powered camp site near Cable beach. 

On 1/17/2020 at 4:36 PM, Don Mega said:

If everything is burnt to a crisp its gunna be a really fun holiday for the tourists !!!

Tourism Australia are bigger con artists than TAT. I've spoken with quite a few prospective tourists, very few are aware that you can't swim half an year north of Sunshine coast due to the jelly fishes, that although Sydney may look hot during the summer the water temperature at the beach could be as low as 15 degrees, etc. I wonder how many repeating tourists we get.