Lawyers in Weinstein rape case begin questioning potential jurors

snoop1130

Lawyers in Weinstein rape case begin questioning potential jurors

by Brendan Pierson

dfwe.PNG

FILE PHOTO: Film producer Harvey Weinstein arrives at New York Criminal Court for his sexual assault trial in the Manhattan borough of New York City, New York, U.S., January 15, 2020. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson

NEW YORK (Reuters) - More than 100 potential jurors in the rape trial of Harvey Weinstein were expected in Manhattan criminal court on Thursday as lawyers strive to choose 12 impartial New Yorkers to decide the former film mogul’s fate.

The potential jurors, who have passed an initial round of pre-screening, include supermodel Gigi Hadid, who said she had met Weinstein before but could nonetheless be fair.

Weinstein, 67, has pleaded not guilty to charges of assaulting two women, and faces life in prison if convicted on the most serious charge, predatory sexual assault.

Since 2017, more than 80 women, including many famous actresses, have accused him of sexual misconduct dating back decades. Weinstein has denied the allegations, saying any sexual encounters he had were consensual.

The allegations helped fuel the #MeToo movement, in which women have gone public with misconduct allegations against powerful men in business, entertainment and politics.

Weinstein’s trial kicked off on Jan. 6 and is expected to last up to months.

During pre-screening, hundreds of potential jurors were asked whether they could be impartial and if their schedules and health allowed them to sit on the trial. In the next phase, known as voir dire, they will face detailed questions about their backgrounds and beliefs by lawyers on both sides.

Legal experts have said selecting impartial jurors in a case that has attracted a great deal of publicity could be difficult.

Both sides will likely question potential jurors about their knowledge and opinion of the case, their work history and whether they have been victims of sexual misconduct, experts said.

Many potential jurors were dismissed in pre-screening after saying they could not be fair and impartial in the case.

Weinstein, once one of Hollywood’s most powerful producers, made his mark with critically acclaimed films such as “The English Patient” and “Shakespeare in Love.”

On Jan. 6, as the New York trial began, Los Angeles District Attorney Jackie Lacey announced new sexual assault charges against Weinstein.

On Wednesday, Weinstein filed a last-minute motion with a New York appellate court to have his trial delayed and moved out of Manhattan.

Weinstein last year sought to move the case to Long Island or Albany, saying media scrutiny in Manhattan would make a fair trial impossible, but the motion was denied.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-01-16

Is the walker he now uses the bright idea of someone on his legal team: "let's remind the jury that this is an old guy, and yes yes he should have known better, but honestly, ladies and gentleman of the jury, can you really imagine this man, bent over his walker, attempting to sexually assault a young healthy person able to escape his wandering hands."  Or words to that effect.

4 minutes ago, blazes said:

Is the walker he now uses the bright idea of someone on his legal team: "let's remind the jury that this is an old guy, and yes yes he should have known better, but honestly, ladies and gentleman of the jury, can you really imagine this man, bent over his walker, attempting to sexually assault a young healthy person able to escape his wandering hands."  Or words to that effect.

there's plenty of actresses is the sidelines who'd be ready and willing to show his Walker can adapt the user for a compromising kneetrembler 

• Sad 2

If the accusation wasn't made within a month of the alleged offence, then it didn't happen.

That's only my opinion, and I feel I'm being generous allowing them 1 month to think about it.

If someone sexually assaulted me, I'd either forget it, or report it to the police within 24hrs. 

I feel sorry for the chap, they all made money from him, now they want a bit more.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I certainly hope that is not the case with Weinstein. Perhaps with the burgeoning me-too climate, they will not succeed this time. He deserves a long stretch in prison, where he will be treated very kindly by his fellow inmates, and make alot of "friends".

Multi-millionaires don't get thrown in prison with murderers and gang bangers.

If he goes down, the place will be more like a country club for wealthy lawyers and corporate executives.

Edited by BritManToo

23 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Legal experts have said selecting impartial jurors in a case that has attracted a great deal of publicity could be difficult.

That's a shame, he should be kept locked up until they can then-just in case he dies before he faces the justice he deserves...

To those who believe him innocent, I know he hasn't been found guilty yet and I am one of many who would not be able to serve on a jury for this wretched creature...

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

If the accusation wasn't made within a month of the alleged offence, then it didn't happen.

That's only my opinion, and I feel I'm being generous allowing them 1 month to think about it.

If someone sexually assaulted me, I'd either forget it, or report it to the police within 24hrs. 

I feel sorry for the chap, they all made money from him, now they want a bit more.

Thats gonna be the defense in a nutshell.

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

If he goes down, the place will be more like a country club for wealthy lawyers and corporate executives.

These are NY charges. No real country clubs there like in the Fed System.

13 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

That's a shame, he should be kept locked up until they can then-just in case he dies before he faces the justice he deserves...

Well its good to see you dont support Bail Reform in NY.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Oh OK, I see, rich White Collar Me-Toos with no record should be treated more harshly than poor folks who beat Orthodox Jews in the street or Rob Banks, especially before conviction.  

Some pigs are more equal than others.

Rapists are scum and should never be released. 

Though I am equally happy to see racist, xenophobic religious bigots-of all types- gaoled first long terms. 

Edited by Bluespunk

9 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

do we convict them first, or just trust the ladies?

As I said in my first post, lock him up until trial is over- just to be sure. I also made clear I believe him guilty and would not be able to serve on a jury. 

• Sad 2

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Yes. Also known as the "American judicial system". When the very ignorant founding father Thomas Jefferson said, "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness", he could not have possibly been further from the truth. He should have said all wealthy men are considered the same under the law.

• Haha 1