Selling HR-V in Bangkok -- fix minor scratches first?

eppic

We are leaving Bangkok for greener (OK, cleaner air) pastures and better schooling options in about six weeks.

We own a 2016 HRV in the standard, generic black color and with extremely low mileage (just hit 10k as we approach four years old).

We purchased it only as a necessity to ferry around our small child, got it on his 4-month birthday after it became clear Uber/Grab/taxis were not viable options.

The car is in good condition, but has a few minor scratches that were nearly all received by being sideswiped by motorbikes while stuck in traffic on the way to my son's preschool.  I kid you not, we were hit 8-10 times for certain (usually on Sarisin, a narrow-laned rd between Ratchadamri and Wireless), and the offenders always made sure to ride away as quickly as possible.

Anyway, although I believe my insurance would cover the scratches (IIRC the have a $50 deductible for such incidents), I have not gotten them fixed after being told I would be looking at a week in the shop.  Also, no one in our household speaks Thai, so we have a distinct disadvantage -- have found minimal English at Honda dealerships and repair shops.

So, my question:

(1)  should I have the scratches repaired before selling?  Would it likely increase value enough to be worth it? There is no collision damage, only scratches and maybe a door ding, have never been close to a collision with an actual car

(2) If I have it repaired, any suggestions on where to do so (specific, please)?  We live on Ratchadamri Rd near Centralworld, not sure if some of these detailing shops in the basements of malls could do it?

(3) Best way to proceed selling it? I have heard recommendations of bahtsold, but again we speak no Thai and will be at a distinct disadvantage.  I realize i could shop it at dealers and get a horrible price, and we may ultimately go that route, but wanted to at least make a token effort selling it directly. Are there any consignment shops in Bangkok?

Thanks in advance for any (non-sarcastic) replies

You could advertise free on Thaivisa "cars for sale"

Here's a site for expats and you wont have a language issue.

https://www.one2car.com/en

These have the easy sell and quick sell options. Site in English.

You dont have a lot of time so accept the hit on price and sell it it "as is" if they are minor issues.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies, sounds like repairing is the best idea if I have time.  I had hoped for a specific shop recommendation in central BKK since English skills appear very hard to find (large local honda dealer has dozens of technicians but only one that speaks even basis English, and he's not there every day), but I'll do my best to figure it out.

• Like 1

Have you tried locating central world Ratchadamri on google maps, then click nearby and type in <car detailing services> 

WAC on Naratiwas looks OK but there are a couple of others. 

In a similar scenario I took my m/bike out of storage and took it for a service and asked them if they could clean it "as if i wanted to sell it". Miraculous. Even painted a few black bits and the side stand.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Have you tried locating central world Ratchadamri on google maps, then click nearby and type in <car detailing services> 

WAC on Naratiwas looks OK but there are a couple of others. 

In a similar scenario I took my m/bike out of storage and took it for a service and asked them if they could clean it "as if i wanted to sell it". Miraculous. Even painted a few black bits and the side stand.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I looked up WAC and that's nearby, so maybe worth a look. SImply Shines in Centralworld is also on the google detailing list (this is where I get my car washed, great service), and they recently polished out most of the scratches but there are a couple that would require some actual touch-up painting, which they don't do.

The only place nearby that appears to have English capabilities is  paint/body shop TS Motor, which is heavily promoted to farangs (and "ladies" -- just a bit sexist) on google...The heavy promotions itself makes me a bit skeptical, but it's in Pathumwan not far away and I'll likely at least get an estimate there. Google reviews are mixed but generally positive.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...