TG pilot under probe in Frankfurt for alleged violation of aviation safety standards

webfact

TG pilot under probe in Frankfurt for alleged violation of aviation safety standards

thai-air-16.jpg

©thethaiger.com

A pilot, employed by Thai Airways International, the national flag carrier, is being investigated by Germany’s BFU (Bundesstelle für Flugunfalluntersuchung/Federal Bureau of Aircraft Accidents Investigation) for descending below the standard altitude as his flight was approaching Frankfurt international airport.

According to Outsider’s Aviation Facebook page, the THAI’s Airbus A350-900 flight TG926, from Phuket to Frankfurt, was approaching Frankfurt airport at an altitude of 800 feet above ground, or 1,150 feet above mean sea level, which is below the standard safe minimum altitude.

The pilot decided to initiate a go-around and took the plane up to about 5,000-feet before landing successfully.  The plane landed safely on 07R runway about 15 minutes after the first attempt, according to Outsider’s Aviation.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/tg-pilot-under-probe-in-frankfurt-for-alleged-violation-of-aviation-safety-standards/

thaipbs.jpg
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

A pilot, employed by Thai Airways International, the national flag carrier, is being investigated by Germany’s BFU (Bundesstelle für Flugunfalluntersuchung/Federal Bureau of Aircraft Accidents Investigation) for descending below the standard altitude as his flight was approaching Frankfurt international airport.

Microsleep again? It seems that it is truly a Thai disease!

45 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

You  could be right. I know that is current policy. But has not always been so.

I know someone who was a Thai captain (he's a Brit). The policy for Thai only pilots was begun in the mid 90s. He moved to Singapore who he says was the best airline he ever flew for.

• Like 1

I knew a TG senior pilot, now thankfully deceased, who went on after retirement from TG to fly with other Thai airlines. He was a keen light aircraft pilot and owner. He was a likeable, but often also an arrogant, ignorant, and incompetent hiso <deleted>.

He had many avoidable accidents in his and others' light aircraft. Blame was always deflected to weather, mechanics, or system failures, when in fact pilot stupidity was invariably the cause. The one that killed him (and seriously injured three passengers) was blamed on "wind". In fact the aircraft was overloaded, underpowered, and he was showing off at low altitude in the face of a mountain. Stupidity.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Surely not Thai's fault! Will be interesting to see where they lay blame.

The ground suddenly moved towards the plane. The skilled Thai pilot then iniated a highly skillful go-around maneuver, as it had moved to only 800 feet of the plane. 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Grusa said:

I knew a TG senior pilot, now thankfully deceased, who went on after retirement from TG to fly with other Thai airlines. He was a keen light aircraft pilot and owner. He was a likeable, but often also an arrogant, ignorant, and incompetent hiso <deleted>.

He had many avoidable accidents in his and others' light aircraft. Blame was always deflected to weather, mechanics, or system failures, when in fact pilot stupidity was invariably the cause. The one that killed him (and seriously injured three passengers) was blamed on "wind". In fact the aircraft was overloaded, underpowered, and he was showing off at low altitude in the face of a mountain. Stupidity.

how did he manage to deflect the blame (to 'wind' ) if the accident killed him too?     

Was he yelling excuses to the passengers, before impact?

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Can only be one cause.... he was flying the aircraft!

By that I mean as he was on final approach flying manually, he was not using the auto-pilot ILS system which navigates and lands the aircraft for you, the only thing the pilot has to do in "auot/mode" is retard the aircraft about 40ft from the ground & initiate the trust reverse at the appropriate time after touch down.

He obviously dis-engaged the auto-pilot at some stage during the descent/approach and screwed up!

As a former aviator, I am sure that is probably exactly what happened. You do not fly into any major TCA...must always be under ILS approach guidance unless an emergency was declared requiring manual flight control.  

The minimum altitude for large turbine aircraft is 1500' AGL (above ground level) and a speed of 250 knots in a terminal service area, except for the purpose of taking off or landing.  Once the ILS is intercepted the MDA/H (minimum descent altitude/height) for an large turbine aircraft is 250' AGL. Procedures call for a missed approach if these minimums are busted. If the aircraft busted minimums at 800' AGL this means the aircraft had not intercepted the ILS yet. 

Many factors could have come into play causing the aircraft to descend below minimums, including pilot error, weather, downdrafts, microbursts, etc. Without more information regarding this incident which is not available it is impossible to determine exactly what happened. The main thing is that the crew determined that the aircraft was below minimums and effected a go-around, although busting minimums by 700' is no joke.

• Like 1

I remember when TG had not even one pilot who flew the plane internationally.

That must have changed when they had a 10 minute English course on  one of Yingluck's tablets.

He obviously made a huge mistake that should cost him his license.

I'm certain that the tower has warned him that he came in too low, but would a Thai admit that?

Next one. please. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Did I not read a few weeks ago that Thai trained pilots find it hard to get jobs with the major airlines? I wonder why?

Only other Airlines that offer them jobs are stringbag outfits in Africa, because even Crop Dusting Pilots don't fancy flying completely unmaintained Aircraft.

• Like 1