Frustrated

On 1/17/2020 at 1:49 AM, tgeezer said:

I do not need to draw a map because I did that a few years ago.

Where I live we need to draw a map every year – I don't think they keep the old files for easy access, or will try to find them in a huge archive to add an old map from last year, or before, to a new application for extension of stay – some might also have moved since last year.

As I dont move around, I made my drawing from home some years ago and scanned it, so the following years I've just given a print of my so-called "hand drawn map", and that has been accepted. Might be worth trying that at other immigration offices to avoid re-drawing the same map year after year.

However, a drawn map is not that big a problem...????

4 hours ago, Oxx said:

Personally, my time is valuable, so wasting several hours waiting before even being able to submit my documents does not reflect a properly working system.

Maybe you could ask your local to extend their happy hour before you go next time?

Really, it is what it is, by all means vent on here, get it off your chest by all means, but sulking about it and defending your impatience shows that perhaps you could use your time a little better. You know, factor it in.

On 1/17/2020 at 12:18 PM, scottiddled said:

I think it's reasonable advice, and I also think it's fair to raise the "we all make mistakes card."

But I'm still fine with the OP complaining here. These aren't random mistakes in a chaotic and unpredictable world. These aren't stubby fingers making a typo. This is their job. If they're handing out irrelevant/useless/redundant forms as a daily routine, that's something worth calling attention to.

Would I have said it the same way the OP did? No. It's not my style. But to each their own. If you accept every little inconvenience in life, they pile up and nothing will ever improve. The people who point out what's not working do the world a service by raising attention to problems so they can be fixed. The people who "just chill and go with the flow" make things pleasant. You need a balance of both kinds.

Try to refuse to sign a form even if it seems redundant or irrelevant to you, and see if you get away with it. I promise you, you won't. 

3 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Unless you are using an agent, I find that hard to believe. 

My personal record and maybe even a record at Jomtien Immigration was last year in May (read low season) when I did my annual extension based on retirement. I knew my papers were in order and I'm using the money in the bank method. I entered immigration just before 1pm,got my number and sat down in front of the retirement desk. I saw that my number was the first one after lunch. They opened maybe 45 seconds late and then it was my turn. I handed over my papers (14 of them) to the female officer and sat down. She went through them real fast, it took maybe a minute, I had to sign two papers, and I didn't care what it was. She asked me for 1900 baht and gave me the number tag I needed to pick up my passport next day. I said thanks, stood up and checked my phone, 1:04pm. Next day I picked up my passport and after ~2 min and a photo taken, I went for a number for my 90 days report. That took maybe another 3-4 min incl waiting for my turn. Then I left immigration. Do the math and see how long time it took for a 1 year extension, the passport pickup next day and a 90 days report same day. And people are complaining about Jomtien Immigration. 

On 1/17/2020 at 9:01 AM, worgeordie said:

Did you get your extension ? and as you say its only once a year,

just go with the flow.

regards Worgeordie

And there lies the problem worgeodie , in Thailand everyone goes with the flow, shortly you'll all flow out to sea.

25 minutes ago, chainarong said:

And there lies the problem worgeodie , in Thailand everyone goes with the flow, shortly you'll all flow out to sea.

To try and go against it, is like banging your head on a wall,

just about impossible to win,even when common sense says

you should.

regards worgeordie

12 hours ago, Max69xl said:

My personal record and maybe even a record at Jomtien Immigration was last year in May (read low season) when I did my annual extension based on retirement. I knew my papers were in order and I'm using the money in the bank method. I entered immigration just before 1pm,got my number and sat down in front of the retirement desk. I saw that my number was the first one after lunch. They opened maybe 45 seconds late and then it was my turn. I handed over my papers (14 of them) to the female officer and sat down. She went through them real fast, it took maybe a minute, I had to sign two papers, and I didn't care what it was. She asked me for 1900 baht and gave me the number tag I needed to pick up my passport next day. I said thanks, stood up and checked my phone, 1:04pm. Next day I picked up my passport and after ~2 min and a photo taken, I went for a number for my 90 days report. That took maybe another 3-4 min incl waiting for my turn. Then I left immigration. Do the math and see how long time it took for a 1 year extension, the passport pickup next day and a 90 days report same day. And people are complaining about Jomtien Immigration. 

i think if you go the way they want  (retirement visa) you will be in and out as we are when doing our 90 day report. it is when you decide you want a Marriage visa it seems to get very tricky and can take several days just to get them to accept the paper work, I have noticed a lot of people including myself going online to let people know what is going on. it depends on the visa and which IO you use = how you are treated + how long they take....and in sixteen years I have never seen my wife so angry, and she is even considering a move to

another country and already discussed it with her kids !!! 

Edited by zoza
sticky key

1 hour ago, chainarong said:

So you prefer arguing with immigration officers every year just because you don't like the routines? How does that work for you? 

12 minutes ago, zoza said:

i think if you go the way they want  (retirement visa) you will be in and out as we are when doing our 90 day report. it is when you decide you want a Marriage visa it seems to get very tricky and can take several days just to get them to accept the paper work, I have noticed a lot of people including myself going online to let people know what is going on. it depends on the visa and which IO you use = how you are treated + how long they take....and in sixteen years I have never seen my wife so angry, and she is even considering a move to

another country and already discussed it with her kids !!! 

I do agree with you regarding problems at several immigration offices concerning extensions based on marriage. Some reasons several offices are making a fuzz is the extra paperwork, visiting the applicant for verification,(you might stay far away from the office) and they have to send the paperwork up the ladder for the final decision. 

On 1/17/2020 at 8:07 AM, tgeezer said:

ccept that Immigration is staffed with imbeciles and that I refuse to do because I know that they are not imbeciles. 

Oh yes they are!  A competent farang fourteen year old could come up with an efficient system universally adopted by all offices that would streamline the whole process for repeat applications and halve the number of trees cut down annually.

18 hours ago, khunPer said:

Where I live we need to draw a map every year – I don't think they keep the old files for easy access, or will try to find them in a huge archive to add an old map from last year, or before, to a new application for extension of stay – some might also have moved since last year.

As I dont move around, I made my drawing from home some years ago and scanned it, so the following years I've just given a print of my so-called "hand drawn map", and that has been accepted. Might be worth trying that at other immigration offices to avoid re-drawing the same map year after year.

However, a drawn map is not that big a problem...????

Do you know why most immigration offices don't accept a scanned map? You're supposed to know exactly where you stay and how to get to immigration. That's what your handwritten map shows immigration. Many years ago I draw a map without being asked for it, but it was a requirement at the time. The officer just throw it away. 

Since then I haven't been asked for it,but this year I bet I have to do it. It seems like a requirement at several offices this year.

47 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

I do agree with you regarding problems at several immigration offices concerning extensions based on marriage. Some reasons several offices are making a fuzz is the extra paperwork, visiting the applicant for verification,(you might stay far away from the office) and they have to send the paperwork up the ladder for the final decision. 

I sat looking at your last phrase and you hit the nail on the head...yes it is just that....were as for retirement it is a local job. Thanks

Edited by zoza

I am glad to see that my absence has had little effect on those who feel compelled to point out how much better adapted to and how how accepting of Thai bureaucracy they are than me and others.

However I think that it is worth pointing out that this topic is about The Immigration Office Division 1, which is in Bangkok and The provisions made to deal with extensions based on Non-Immigrant ‘O’ visas.  Specifically, in case anyone is unsure, I feel entitled to point out a change to the procedure and why it is not a change for the better.  My comments are based on the assumption that Immigration is there to serve and this is not an unreasonable thing to believe because, for anyone who has not read the literature, Immigration Div. 1 is constantly assuring us of this. 

Those who want to talk about other offices and, or, other circumstances should start a topic of their own. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Do you know why most immigration offices don't accept a scanned map? You're supposed to know exactly where you stay and how to get to immigration. That's what your handwritten map shows immigration. Many years ago I draw a map without being asked for it, but it was a requirement at the time. The officer just throw it away. 

Since then I haven't been asked for it,but this year I bet I have to do it. It seems like a requirement at several offices this year.

No, I didn't know that – thanks...???? – but where I apply for my extension of stay the "hand drawn" map has been requested for several years, and the scan of my hand drawn map been accepted for a number of years. However, we also need to supply a Google satelite print of the area with the "house" clearly marked, together with an inserted box with coordinates. So here, we need to supply two maps...????

4 hours ago, khunPer said:

No, I didn't know that – thanks...???? – but where I apply for my extension of stay the "hand drawn" map has been requested for several years, and the scan of my hand drawn map been accepted for a number of years. However, we also need to supply a Google satelite print of the area with the "house" clearly marked, together with an inserted box with coordinates. So here, we need to supply two maps...????

Still, the scanned map is not a proof of you knowing where you're staying and how to get to the immigration office. Imo it shows that your Immigration office doesn't understand why they ask for the map. May I ask where you're staying?

5 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Still, the scanned map is not a proof of you knowing where you're staying and how to get to the immigration office. Imo it shows that your Immigration office doesn't understand why they ask for the map. May I ask where you're staying?

Surat Thani Immigration, Koh Samui branch; however I believe that the immigration officer knows me well enough, the same kind lady year-after-year, so no need to re-draw the map in front of her, she has already seen that...????

I'm a "relative" newcomer to Thailand. Been coming here for 14 years and retired here 4 years ago.

I use the Jomtien office for my extensions. While i sympathise with anyone being messed about at immigration offices i have to say that the longest time i have spent at the Jomtien office for yearly extension is 35 minutes and the longest for 90 day report is 20 minutes. Long may that continue

• Like 1

14 hours ago, khunPer said:

Surat Thani Immigration, Koh Samui branch; however I believe that the immigration officer knows me well enough, the same kind lady year-after-year, so no need to re-draw the map in front of her, she has already seen that...????

Do you think that she's the one you have to convince? Why do you think she knows that a handwritten map is correct? Does she compare every map with Google maps? 

1 hour ago, Geordieabroad said:

i have to say that the longest time i have spent at the Jomtien office for yearly extension is 35 minutes

I hope the authorities move staff from Jontiem to Chaengwattana.  Reduce the 5, 6, 7 hours waiting time to a more reasonable level.

59 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Do you think that she's the one you have to convince? Why do you think she knows that a handwritten map is correct? Does she compare every map with Google maps? 

Sure, yes she does – compare every map with Google maps – as we shall also supply a Google Satelite Map with clear identification of the "house" together with a square box with coordinates...:thumbsup:

It might be different at your immigration office – they all seem to have little different rules – however, Surat Thani is known for being very, if not extremely, strict with regulations and rules, including that it's one of the very few, if not the only one, that requite a hospital only health check every year for extension of stay based on retirement. I'm quite sure that the immigration officers at Surat Thani Immigration's Samui branch know very well what they are doing...????