BANGKOK
AAArdvark

New Microsoft Edge

Has anyone tried the new Microsoft Edge?  It just became available for download yesterday in its final form, 16-Jan-20.  It is pretty cool and is based on Chrome and looks almost like it too.

No idea yet if it will work with the various immigration online forms.

• Thanks 1

Too 'anemic' dull and barebones like for my liking, not unlike Chrome, but if it works well that's all that matter...

Posted the link yesterday in this forum. 

Win 😎

I could not get my ad blocker(s) or other extensions to work on it and I find the fonts are horrendous.  I have tried changing them but I find them very poor.   Luckily I created a restore point  before installing it! 

For those like me who want to keep the Old edge here is how to do it;

https://www.onmsft.com/how-to/microsoft-explains-how-to-run-the-old-edge-alongside-the-new-chromium-based-version-on-windows-10

If you do not have GPE here is the link to install/enable;

https://www.itechtics.com/easily-enable-group-policy-editor-gpedit-msc-in-windows-10-home-edition/

Edited by scottiejohn
added GPE

Actually downloaded last night and very easy conversion using Chrome data.  Installed U Block Origin blocker today as extension (download and install first - don't try downloading as apps).  It seems to be working just as well as on Chrome.  Also seem to have a lot less fan noise (CPU overload) since change and have used to translate Shopee and seems to be better than Chrome.  So far has worked very well and most controls as almost the same as on Chrome so a very easy change.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually downloaded last night

Is this not at automatic Win10 update? My Win10 said I was up to date with old Edge so I found a link to download the new one and manually install it and replace the old.

23 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Is this not at automatic Win10 update? My Win10 said I was up to date with old Edge so I found a link to download the new one and manually install it and replace the old.

Mine said the same but had never really used it - as it just became available on 15th (16th our time) suspect servers will take a few days updating people (and then probably only if used).  

• Like 1

Below link talks the rollout schedule.  Right now it's only available to those who want to manually install it....that is, they say give it to me now....call that Phase 1 of the roll out.  Phase 2 will occur on the coming months through Windows Updates....see details below.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-and-when-new-microsoft-edge-browser-will-roll-out-windows-10-users

• Like 1

First released in 2015. Updated frequently since then.  When you say "its final form" is that it? No more updates?

Tried once before but found it useless and not compatible with many sites. 

• Like 1

I've been using the new Edge for quite a few months on the Edge Insider Program. It is based on Chrome using the Chromium source code. For me, it's faster than Chrome or any other browser that I use, and allows for more customization than Chrome. Kudos to Microsoft for allowing users to try the beta and other versions, asking for feedback and constantly tweaking it to get it right before releasing the current version. Once I configured it the way I like it, it's now my browser of choice.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, gjoo888 said:

I've been using the new Edge for quite a few months on the Edge Insider Program. It is based on Chrome using the Chromium source code. For me, it's faster than Chrome or any other browser that I use, and allows for more customization than Chrome. Kudos to Microsoft for allowing users to try the beta and other versions, asking for feedback and constantly tweaking it to get it right before releasing the current version. Once I configured it the way I like it, it's now my browser of choice.

As noted this is the version we are talking about - it became available as a replacement for the old version this week (but only if you download) and will be the Edge standard in the future.  In my opinion a huge improvement and currently the best browser (for me at least - changed from Chrome).  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RBOP said:

First released in 2015. Updated frequently since then.  When you say "its final form" is that it? No more updates?

Tried once before but found it useless and not compatible with many sites. 

This one is not at all like the one released in 2015.  I think they kept the name "Edge" just for familiarity.   "Final form" meant that the Chrome based version until now has been available as a beta now it is released in a full version.  I am sure it will get frequent updates.

I commend you all to the Windows Ten Forums for detailed discussion on this and other Windows matters.

Specifically:

https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/148517-new-chromium-based-microsoft-edge-now-generally-available.html

https://www.tenforums.com/browsers-email/25037-latest-google-chrome-released-windows.html

https://www.tenforums.com/browsers-email/148535-latest-microsoft-edge-released-windows.html

I'm sticking with standard Chrome pro-tem as that's how I keep my Windows and Android devices neatly in sync.  YMMV

I installed Edge for Android but find that it does not pick up all of the Google features so I've gone back to Chrome.