New Microsoft Edge

AAArdvark

Has anyone tried the new Microsoft Edge?  It just became available for download yesterday in its final form, 16-Jan-20.  It is pretty cool and is based on Chrome and looks almost like it too.

No idea yet if it will work with the various immigration online forms.

• Thanks 1

For those like me who want to keep the Old edge here is how to do it;

https://www.onmsft.com/how-to/microsoft-explains-how-to-run-the-old-edge-alongside-the-new-chromium-based-version-on-windows-10

If you do not have GPE here is the link to install/enable;

https://www.itechtics.com/easily-enable-group-policy-editor-gpedit-msc-in-windows-10-home-edition/

Edited by scottiejohn
added GPE

Actually downloaded last night and very easy conversion using Chrome data.  Installed U Block Origin blocker today as extension (download and install first - don't try downloading as apps).  It seems to be working just as well as on Chrome.  Also seem to have a lot less fan noise (CPU overload) since change and have used to translate Shopee and seems to be better than Chrome.  So far has worked very well and most controls as almost the same as on Chrome so a very easy change.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Is this not at automatic Win10 update? My Win10 said I was up to date with old Edge so I found a link to download the new one and manually install it and replace the old.

Mine said the same but had never really used it - as it just became available on 15th (16th our time) suspect servers will take a few days updating people (and then probably only if used).  

• Like 1

Below link talks the rollout schedule.  Right now it's only available to those who want to manually install it....that is, they say give it to me now....call that Phase 1 of the roll out.  Phase 2 will occur on the coming months through Windows Updates....see details below.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-and-when-new-microsoft-edge-browser-will-roll-out-windows-10-users

• Like 1

First released in 2015. Updated frequently since then.  When you say "its final form" is that it? No more updates?

Tried once before but found it useless and not compatible with many sites. 

• Like 1

I've been using the new Edge for quite a few months on the Edge Insider Program. It is based on Chrome using the Chromium source code. For me, it's faster than Chrome or any other browser that I use, and allows for more customization than Chrome. Kudos to Microsoft for allowing users to try the beta and other versions, asking for feedback and constantly tweaking it to get it right before releasing the current version. Once I configured it the way I like it, it's now my browser of choice.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, gjoo888 said:

I've been using the new Edge for quite a few months on the Edge Insider Program. It is based on Chrome using the Chromium source code. For me, it's faster than Chrome or any other browser that I use, and allows for more customization than Chrome. Kudos to Microsoft for allowing users to try the beta and other versions, asking for feedback and constantly tweaking it to get it right before releasing the current version. Once I configured it the way I like it, it's now my browser of choice.

As noted this is the version we are talking about - it became available as a replacement for the old version this week (but only if you download) and will be the Edge standard in the future.  In my opinion a huge improvement and currently the best browser (for me at least - changed from Chrome).  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RBOP said:

First released in 2015. Updated frequently since then.  When you say "its final form" is that it? No more updates?

Tried once before but found it useless and not compatible with many sites. 

This one is not at all like the one released in 2015.  I think they kept the name "Edge" just for familiarity.   "Final form" meant that the Chrome based version until now has been available as a beta now it is released in a full version.  I am sure it will get frequent updates.

I commend you all to the Windows Ten Forums for detailed discussion on this and other Windows matters.

Specifically:

https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/148517-new-chromium-based-microsoft-edge-now-generally-available.html

https://www.tenforums.com/browsers-email/25037-latest-google-chrome-released-windows.html

https://www.tenforums.com/browsers-email/148535-latest-microsoft-edge-released-windows.html

I'm sticking with standard Chrome pro-tem as that's how I keep my Windows and Android devices neatly in sync.  YMMV

1 hour ago, VBF said:

I commend you all to the Windows Ten Forums for detailed discussion on this and other Windows matters.

Specifically:

https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/148517-new-chromium-based-microsoft-edge-now-generally-available.html

https://www.tenforums.com/browsers-email/25037-latest-google-chrome-released-windows.html

https://www.tenforums.com/browsers-email/148535-latest-microsoft-edge-released-windows.html

I'm sticking with standard Chrome pro-tem as that's how I keep my Windows and Android devices neatly in sync.  YMMV

Believe that was a selection we made after install of new Edge (to allow Google sync to continue working).  I treat phone as a phone so have not checked.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gjoo888 said:

I've installed it and all is fine, except it won't let me change languages from Thai in Settings. It just shows a few Arabic and Chinese choices and when I try to scroll down it closes the Settings list.

9 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I've installed it and all is fine, except it won't let me change languages from Thai in Settings. It just shows a few Arabic and Chinese choices and when I try to scroll down it closes the Settings list.

At top right side there should be an add language box to click and get pop up scroll down selection all the world - but if in Thai and your keyboard in English you may be able to type at the top search area to go directly.  Then add.  Mine came up for English US as default just as was on Chrome.  On mine get full list of languages with no issue.  Do you have an extension activated to prevent pop ups by chance?

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

On 1/17/2020 at 8:23 PM, scottiejohn said:

Who wants to keep the old Edge? It's the worst c**p ever. Even Microsoft realized that and based  the new Edge on Chromium. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Who wants to keep the old Edge? It's the worst c**p ever. Even Microsoft realized that and based  the new Edge on Chromium. 

Agree ....  Edge is absolute cr_p ....   you try to do anything and you get diverted to another website , they want you to pay ... office365, pdf download, many things.

I installed Slimjet webbrowser, it's fast, blocks ads, and is safe for banking. 

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

At top right side there should be an add language box to click and get pop up scroll down selection all the world - but if in Thai and your keyboard in English you may be able to type at the top search area to go directly.  Then add.  Mine came up for English US as default just as was on Chrome.  On mine get full list of languages with no issue.  Do you have an extension activated to prevent pop ups by chance?

I just tried it again and was able to scroll up instead of down to find English. Bizarre. Never seen that before.

On ad blockers, by the way, I stop up to 31 every time I load a TV page, which is silly. But when I load a page for one particular UK site it blocks 595 (not a typo) in an hour. Unbelievable.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

Had trouble trying to change default search engine to google.  Just enter the following URL

edge://settings/searchengines

It is an option listed in the settings but not too obvious if you do not know where to look - suspect that takes you there directly.

Settings/Privacy and Services/Address Bar (which is at very bottom of page and needs to be clicked on to obtain options)

Chrome and Edge  are simply profit centers for data mining their users. At least Google apps are free, but to pay for a product that steals data and resells it is simply absurd. 

If you value privacy use Firefox, Cliqz, or Brave. 

Edge hijacks file associations like PDF files so you have to continually change it in settings if you want such files to open in the app of your choice. Impossible to permanently change this behavior. That's reason enough for me to spurn Edge. 

I understand that few people care about privacy anymore. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Chrome and Edge  are simply profit centers for data mining their users. At least Google apps are free, but to pay for a product that steals data and resells it is simply absurd. 

If you value privacy use Firefox, Cliqz, or Brave. 

Edge hijacks file associations like PDF files so you have to continually change it in settings if you want such files to open in the app of your choice. Impossible to permanently change this behavior. That's reason enough for me to spurn Edge. 

I understand that few people care about privacy anymore. 

Firstly we are not talking about the old Edge - PDF is easily assigned and is asked on first time use.  Not sure what I am paying for using this free browser.  If you have data concerns you can set up for them in Settings/Privacy and security.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Firstly we are not talking about the old Edge - PDF is easily assigned and is asked on first time use.  Not sure what I am paying for using this free browser.  If you have data concerns you can set up for them in Settings/Privacy and security.

OK, fair enough if you're not using the version that comes with win10. 

I stand by my comments about privacy however. If you don't take explicit steps using third party apps to block trackers then you are still just a product that big data sells. It is simply naive to believe otherwise. 

I understand that many find this constant battle tiring, but not defending yourself means you are surveilled and tracked without a doubt.  Given enough Metadata anyone can eventually discover your actual identity. 

Don't believe me. Do the research yourself.

Understand also that there are many apps for your phone that allow you to disable permissions but don't actually honor it. New stories about this come out every week for Android and iOS phones. 

2 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

I stand by my comments about privacy however. If you don't take explicit steps using third party apps to block trackers then you are still just a product that big data sells. It is simply naive to believe otherwise. 

This is a totally new browser based on Chrome and you have provisions to strictly control trackers if you so wish.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1