Jump to content
BANGKOK

Recommended Posts

Does anyone here have a credit card for their children?

I'd like to get my teenage kids a credit card in their names, while being able to control the limit myself. 

This will save me time and also inbred their credit rating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sure there is no Credit Card available for those underage but possibly a money card like that issued by Superrich and some banks may be available.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if you can do it in Thailand but US Credit Cards are easy to obtain in another persons name, but you will ultimately be responsible for the bill but is a good way to boost a young persons credit rating 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, sanmyintmaung said:

Kasikorn Bank allow Supplementary Card Applicants from 15 years of age.

I stand corrected. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

I don't know if you can do it in Thailand but US Credit Cards are easy to obtain in another persons name, but you will ultimately be responsible for the bill but is a good way to boost a young persons credit rating 

If you get them in another persons name, how can it boost someone else's credit rating?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

If you get them in another persons name, how can it boost someone else's credit rating?

Because it is their card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, asiaexpat said:

 

 

 

23 minutes ago, sanmyintmaung said:

Kasikorn Bank allow Supplementary Card Applicants from 15 years of age.

Thanks, I'll check them. My kids will be traveling abroad themselves, aged 13 and 17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Because it is their card.

But they have no legal responsibility for the credit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

But they have no legal responsibility for the credit.

Yes they do, they are the "first" debtor, since the card is in their name and social security number.  Only after they don't pay, is the "sponsor" responsible for the bill, and if paid the sponsor will not get hit with the bad credit report, but the card holder will have just tanked their credit 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

Yes they do, they are the "first" debtor, since the card is in their name and social security number.  Only after they don't pay, is the "sponsor" responsible for the bill, and if paid the sponsor will not get hit with the bad credit report, but the card holder will have just tanked their credit 

It is a nice construction but because they are kids, legally they can't be forced to pay, that is why they need a sponsor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I first travelled over here my Amex card was tied to my dads account. It was for "emergencies only" being young I never really was very careful with it and used it too much. I never saw a bill it went direct to my dads account. I would imagine these supplementary cards still work the same way. I had no credit rating at all from it... Also had a <deleted> off father when I got home 3 months later..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get a starling (debit card ) for them and you can limit and see real time what has been withdrawn and where . There is no fee to pay starling only the usual atm fees unless they go into the bank and withdraw . I've read recently that going into the bank with your card and withdrawing is free . Apparently "starling" has been voted the best bank 2 or 3 years in a row , so they must be doing something right . 

StarlingBank-Together.jpg

Edited by Macthehat
Spelling error

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2020 at 2:46 PM, Neeranam said:

Because it is their card.

But if your talking about a card where the user / carrier of the card is a kid but payment is the responsibility of the father, mother etc., then the kid is not in control of whether the card is paid on time etc. So how can it be a valid credit score process for the kid?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Macthehat said:

Get a starling (debit card ) for them and you can limit and see real time what has been withdrawn and where . There is no fee to pay starling only the usual atm fees unless they go into the bank and withdraw . I've read recently that going into the bank with your card and withdrawing is free . Apparently "starling" has been voted the best bank 2 or 3 years in a row , so they must be doing something right . 

StarlingBank-Together.jpg

Gogle says this bank is in the UK and it's scope is UK. Can it be used abroad?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...