Thai woman: I was nearly barbecued at 5 am!

webfact

5 hours ago, stouricks said:

Just bought a charging cable with a Volts/Amps display. Charging an empty battery takes 1.2 amps @ 5.1 volts = 6.12 watts. Hardly high current source.

Of course the problems start when that device malfunctions and connects the phone directly to the mains...........BOOM!

There's a ton of YouTubes where they take apart chargers to show all the engineering shortcuts that create death traps.  Exactly as you describe.  A cold solder joint fails or 2 poorly insulated wires touch, and you have 220V going into your phone.

I bought several different types of USB power testers in Thailand.  This one was my favorite, though there are others cheaper and locally available.  (The Uni-T shipped from China)  It doesn't guaranty safety, but it did show me why some of my chargers took hours and hours to charge my phones, tablets and cameras.  It also allowed me to bin a lot of defective cables when one cable worked at just 0.1 amps on the same charger where another cable worked at 1.2 amps.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/uni-t-ut658-digital-lcd-usb-voltage-current-meter-u-disk-voltmeter-ameter-charging-capacity-tester-dc3-9v-0-3a-i616062856-s1169618208.html

I also have one built into the cable itself, but it's becoming obsolete now that most of my devices are USB-C, and it's Micro-USB.

Edited by impulse

8 hours ago, KC 71 said:

Whenever i have to touch a plug i wear a rubber suit and flipflops

Is that an electrical plug?

Use the rubber suit for other activities ??

Edited by RJRS1301
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Honestly, who in their right mind recharges a dangerous lithium-cell battery ON THE BED?

It makes sense actually to have something potentially flammable like this a couple of inches from your leg, so your first alert would be a burning sensation (rather than a choking sensation as you wake up and find the room on fire).

Also, this is way less risky than the much more widespread habit of smoking in bed. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, zydeco said:

Whenever I'm not using an electrical device, I unplug it. When I leave home for more than 15 minutes, I unplug everything before I go and switch off current directed to the air conditioners. I probably shouldn't risk the 15 minutes.

don't the steaks in the freezer keep thawing out